Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

They lost a million at Stalingrad.

But that was defensive, and all things considered (at the risk of sounding a bit insensitive, I’m sorry) the stakes were far greater. I don’t think they want to chuck thousands upon thousands at this. The soldiers certainly don’t anyway, whereas in Stalingrad I’m pretty sure the soldiers were on board with what was being done for Stalingrad.

32 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Get the phrase “Lethal Aid” into the Business/Corporate speak thread ASAP.

There was a news reader on Sky News during the early hours (UK time).  He kept on saying 'Lethal Aids'.  Said it about 4 times, before someone in his ear, started shouting at him. I think it was his first gig.

Reports of a strike on Russian forces from a Tb2 drone at Kherson international airport. If true, this goes against almost all the analysis that I read which was confident Tb2 command and control and physical drones would be the first things destroyed by Russian attacks. 

34 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm old enough to remember Vietnam Group of children and soldiers moving on foot away from a distant cloud of smoke rising from the ground. Several children are crying and one in the center is also naked as she runs toward the camera. See the source image See the source image

I remember it to.

The photo at the bottom is misleading.  The man being shot was a Viet Cong leader who had just murdered a woman and her six children and the man with the gun knew the family.

Lots of footage of Russian pows saying they didn’t want to fight and were told they’d be enemies of the people if they didn’t mobilise. Also unconfirmed reports of a riot of around 5000 Russian troops refusing to fight, according to Obozrevatel. This mornings analysis puts Russian losses at 4300.

Don’t understand how the Russians seem to have been so tactically inept. Still they’re keeping groups of armour together and a drone strike took out a number of vehicles at Hostomel earlier.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

I remember it to.

The photo at the bottom is misleading.  The man being shot was a Viet Cong leader who had just murdered a woman and her six children and the man with the gun knew the family.

I never passed any comment on the photo - I posted it to show the savagery of war.

1 minute ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Lots of footage of Russian pows saying they didn’t want to fight and were told they’d be enemies of the people if they didn’t mobilise. Also unconfirmed reports of a riot of around 5000 Russian troops refusing to fight, according to Obozrevatel. This mornings analysis puts Russian losses at 4300.

Don’t understand how the Russians seem to have been so tactically inept. Still they’re keeping groups of armour together and a drone strike took out a number of vehicles at Hostomel earlier.

Stage 2 will be flattening Kiev from the air and artillery, Aleppo style. Or they'll come to their senses and withdraw to the Donbas, declaring victory. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Stage 2 will be flattening Kiev from the air and artillery, Aleppo style. Or they'll come to their senses and withdraw to the Donbas, declaring victory. 

The attacks last night were meant to include all available MLRS weapons that the Russians had available according to intelligence. Whether that’s true or not… also with the economic sanctions and lack of raw materials it’ll take months to manufacture and replenish their stocks.

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The leaders don't care about how many Russian lives are lost only that they win.

But if they run out of equipment?

They seem to be using mostly low-quality, older vehicles at the moment.  Possibly thought that was all that was needed.  either that or they're saving the modern stuff for WW3.

Edited by The DA

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The leaders don't care about how many Russian lives are lost only that they win.

But if they run out of equipment?

Fully aware of this. 

Given they can just pile in from Belarus it's unlikely they run out of equipment before they take over Kyiv at least.

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reports of a strike on Russian forces from a Tb2 drone at Kherson international airport. If true, this goes against almost all the analysis that I read which was confident Tb2 command and control and physical drones would be the first things destroyed by Russian attacks. 

I suspect there may also be a drone with Putin's name on it

6 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

I’d treat these reports with a pinch of salt. POWs are likely to say what they think their captors want to hear.

Reports of soldiers refusing to fight etc are v hard to verify.