Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Thing is. Is he mad enough to use them on Ukraine and see if NATO have the bollocks to reply in kind? He may be calculating that NATO will shit a brick when he uses them.( which they will, of course).
Putin isn't going to go nuclear in Ukraine. This is purely posturing in reply to NATO's statements

1 minute ago, MuckleMoo said:
7 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:
Thing is. Is he mad enough to use them on Ukraine and see if NATO have the bollocks to reply in kind? He may be calculating that NATO will shit a brick when he uses them.( which they will, of course).

Putin isn't going to go nuclear in Ukraine. This is purely posturing in reply to NATO's statements

Indeed.

31 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Jeezo 

Putin orders Russia's nuclear deterrence forces on high alert

Russian president Vladimir Putin has ordered military command to put nuclear deterrence forces on high alert after aggressive statements by Nato countries, Reuters reports.

Belarus are holding a referendum today on hosting Russian nukes on their territory, requires a change to their constitution.

1 minute ago, MuckleMoo said:
8 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I wouldn't entirely rule that out, if Russia feels sufficiently backed into a corner. There has to be a hotline open for peace talks and rapid de-escalation regardless of Putin's culpability. 

Increased combat readiness heightens the chances of a very serious incident or miscalculation. The growing restriction of airspace to Russian craft also raises the problem of Kaliningrad being isolated - with Lithuania being the state between Russia/Belarus and its major Baltic Sea port. 

All of these are very concerning developments. Hopefully the possible opening of peace talks - however difficult and likely inconclusive to begin with - will be a first step back from the brink. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

This is quite mental surely? Is it unprecedented for someone in her position to say something like this? Surely the correct thing for a British politician to say would be that we do not advise British citizens to travel to a warzone since it is dangerous and we cant offer you any support if you do?

Do I get a gun and stuff before I go, or will the Ukranians have it for me when I get there?

34 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I think it is more a threat to NATO not to get directly involved in this war.

NATO claim they have no intention of sending troops into Ukraine.

However Putin says "so what?  I made the same claim."

Just checked maps on Google. It will only take me 34 hours to get to Kiev through Poland. If I pack a half loaf,  2pts milk, giant bar dairy milk and 12 cans diet coke and some lynx( got to smell nice for the locals), will that be enough provisions? And will my Hyundai i20 make it?

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I think it is more a threat to NATO not to get directly involved in this war.

NATO claim they have no intention of sending troops into Ukraine.

However Putin says "so what?  I made the same claim."

If nato gets directly involved 

The moment Russia fires on any nato troops

We have a europe wide conflict