Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

8 minutes ago, jagfox OG said:

I know it’s war, it’s desperate times and I’m absolutely all for thinking out the box (Corporatespeak thread for this pish I know) but I can’t help but think the Ukrainians are playing very fast and loose now to potentially reap a much bigger problem later. 

Imagine inviting the denizens of Glasgow in off the streets to help themselves to an AK-47 and train them how to make Molotov cocktails? Could make the next OF game a wee bit spicier than usual.

Paying Russian soldiers to come in? Why won’t Vlad take advantage of that and send in a bunch of Chechens/Belarusians to apparently surrender but then take the whole enterprise out? 

31 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Sky suggesting this is happening now. Austin hasn’t said as much, but he’s giving every suggestion that what we are witnessing are war crimes. 

If it is a war crime then f**k knows what the treatment of urban centres of Grozny, Baghdad and Hanoi falls under - we're really going to need a new term.

War is war and the conflict has been relatively limited for the time being. Things could scale up much more than this in the context of at least two key urban battles. You won't be seeing too many rolling TV news broadcasts from the scene if that happens. 

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He might be a multi-millionaire, but plenty of sportspeople are not. Nobody should be chucked out of an individual sporting event purely on the basis of their nationality. For example, loads of Russian chess grandmasters have lined up to criticise Putin and the war - are you suggesting that they should still be banned anyway?

Playing under a genuinely neutral flag does matter. At that point they are not representing Russia in any way whatsoever.

Can't see the various sporting authorities playing "good guy, good guy, w*nk good guy, w*nk w*nk" somehow. 

That’s the Americans boycotting Russia now also 

Cant help but think the reason FIFA kicked Russia out is because they knew there would have been a real chance on this World Cup being boycotted, if they allowed them to participate 

Not that we should need much of an excuse 

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Can't see the various sporting authorities playing "good guy, good guy, w*nk good guy, w*nk w*nk" somehow. 

Ah right so it's not actually 'aimed at Putin, not the Russian people' at all but instead vindictive collective punishment based on nationality. 

As immoral a policy as it is just plain stupid in terms of dividing the regime from its people, but who cares about that when there's outrage to vent. 

Edited by vikingTON

At the end of the day, despite economic sanctions, not allowing planes to land or boats to dock, sending weapons to Ukrainians, whether FIFA or the Ludo association kicks Russia out of competition, European countries will still have to be buying oil and gas from Russia, as they have no alternative. Result being that Russia's main export keeps flowing.

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Expect nuclear holocaust 2mr evening....bojo is going to Poland and Estonia to look statesman like or something

I hope to Christ that he isn't taking Liz with him....

Tbh, the oligarch funding to the Tories will continue in any case. Johnson could be photographed partying with oligarchs in a Moscow hotel during his 'visit' this week, and their vote would still stay solid at 35% and above. 

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

Ah right so it's not actually 'aimed at Putin, not the Russian people' at all but instead vindictive collective punishment based on nationality. 

As immoral a policy as it is just plain stupid in terms of dividing the regime from its people, but who cares about that when there's outrage to vent. 

If this goes on much longer we'll be getting calls for internment camps on here and blue tick twitter.

If you go on Twitter and are so minded you can find videos of dead bodies.  I don't think people should post them on here.  I'm sure someone got a ban for posting photos of bodies from one of the Israel-Palestine wars on here.
Tbf that was some mental Celtic fan who went on a total spiral and posted them up for point-scoring purposes after being warned not to. It might have even been on a match thread [emoji23] I can't remember which particular Celtic-supporting loser it was, but he was deservedly binned for it.