Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, ICTChris said:
Podcast with Rob Lee, who is an analyst on the Russian military, discussing the first week of the war.

Does he think Newcastle will stay up ?

The Saudi owners are gutted that Ashley never held out for longer they could have had Chelsea 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

We could always put a time out on capitalism for a few months, and base global distribution of fuel and food based on need and with appropriate rationing, rather than supply and demand determined pricing.

Better start running now, WB, you've outed yourself.

YnECH7.gif

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Or looking at it another way, maybe we should be grateful that this is all most of us have to get riled up about.

Our lives could be considerably worse and we don't need to look far to find examples.

With this new way of pronouncing properly 

Hopefully the football scores will pronounce forfar brechin and greenock properly 

6 hours ago, WATTOO said:

It's typical Britain in 2022 to have a bullshit sanctions regime which is largely superficial, to keep most potential Ukranian refugees locked out of the country because racism, but to think that something can be done while 'popping to the supermarket' - a twee, useless vision of personal responsibility which is in reality largely based around money and avoiding responsibility. 

I worth with a team in Ukraine. Our company has been able to relocate the female staff members and families of the rest to Hungary. The males are not allowed to leave the country due to Ukraine banning military age men leaving. Fair enough. 

I have shared with with a few online places I inhabit and perhaps one or two on P&B might like a happy story in this clusterfarce. 

Look after yourselves. 

44 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Just as an aside, has anyone ever gone to a restaurant and ordered a Mumbai Duck, or a Beijing Duck or a Beef Chennai?

More to the point has a Beef Chennai ever caused anyone to do a deuce through the eye of a needle the next day?

1 minute ago, dorlomin said:

I worth with a team in Ukraine. Our company has been able to relocate the female staff members and families of the rest to Hungary. The males are not allowed to leave the country due to Ukraine banning military age men leaving. Fair enough. 

I have shared with with a few online places I inhabit and perhaps one or two on P&B might like a happy story in this clusterfarce. 

Look after yourselves. 

I understand this happens but I never really got the logic. They could hold me back to fight, but in reality I'd be worse than a man short. I doubt I'd be the only one just getting in the way.

When the shelling, bombing, shooting, stops...who picks up the tab for rebuilding Ukraine's infrastructure? Roads, bridges, buildings both residential and administrative, ports, airports, Could depend on how much of the country Russia aims to control.

Does the UN step in with funding? The EU will presumably make a hefty contribution, Will take some time. Also funding has to be found for probably millions of displaced people.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

When the shelling, bombing, shooting, stops...who picks up the tab for rebuilding Ukraine's infrastructure? Roads, bridges, buildings both residential and administrative, ports, airports, Could depend on how much of the country Russia aims to control.

Does the UN step in with funding? The EU will presumably make a hefty contribution, Will take some time. Also funding has to be found for probably millions of displaced people.

I was wondering about that. Presumably Russia will do what the Americans did in Iraq - send their contractors in and charge everything back to the country that they destroyed.

If Russia eventually withdraws, maybe there'll be some kind of nominal Russian debt kept in a ledger somewhere that they'll naturally never pay.

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Aid from either the West or (less likely Russia) should be a key incentive to making sure both sides are willing to agree a durable peace. There might be some blood and soil nationalists who want to fight until the last man, woman and child, but rational incentives should be provided in order to prevail.