Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
The level of cringe I feel when someone uses "woke" in day to day conversation is increasing by the day.

Folk that whine about "woke" culture tend to be either borderline racists, misogynists or both. Fucking weirdos man.

Yeah, I mean I have never heard someone speak positively about "woke" or even acknowledge it in the context of actually being "woke". The only people who actually discuss the existence of such a culture are gammons who have created this bogeyman nemesis for themselves, and even then don't seem to be able to apply it consistently. 

ETA the takes I keep hearing that a few years of people attempting to create a world with less, rather than more discrimination and hate is the reason why we are all cowering from the Russian bear though, are very funny. 

Edited by Bairnardo

41 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yes, that’s where the ‘Z’ came from originally. It has been hastily turned into a symbol for support for the war among the Putin regime and supporters, as the thread linked to several times discussing it makes clear from the outset.

Imagine being the guy who had to tell the Chechen lunatics that they had to paint a big white X on the side of their vehicles. 

Interestingly, it seems that rather than Ukraine not joining NATO, the Russians don’t want them to join any ‘blocs’ which would include the EU.

Lets not forget the Euromaiden began due to Yanukovych refusing to sign a co-operation agreement with the EU, instead opting for one with the Eurasian Economic Union, the alliance fronted by Russia.

28 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I have a real problem squaring the idea that the same Russian state that forgot vehicles need fuel and have generally clown-shoed their way through the invasion of Ukraine has been puppet-mastering western politics in some Machiavellian grand plan for years.

The short answer there is that they should have stuck to what they were good at. The links between Russian money and Trump/Brexit are too strong to even consider denying at this stage. All those ex KGB and intelligence types who “lucked” into billions after the USSR fell were clearly good at what they done. At this stage it now looks like Putin has grown arrogant and assumed the Ukraine would collapse without fight, or for whatever reason has grown desperate to reach his end game and gone all in while praying no one would think of calling his bluff.

48 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Freedom of speech means that you have to let people have their opinions even if they are different from your own, unfortunately that now seems out the window which in my book makes these types much worse than those they accuse of being the bad guys in their eyes.

free_speech.png

32 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
The level of cringe I feel when someone uses "woke" in day to day conversation is increasing by the day.

Folk that whine about "woke" culture tend to be either borderline racists, misogynists or both. Fucking weirdos man.

“I prefer to think of myself as a libertarian at heart”…

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Interestingly, it seems that rather than Ukraine not joining NATO, the Russians don’t want them to join any ‘blocs’ which would include the EU.

Lets not forget the Euromaiden began due to Yanukovych refusing to sign a co-operation agreement with the EU, instead opting for one with the Eurasian Economic Union, the alliance fronted by Russia.

I preferred him when he was doing spoof songs TBH.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

There has to be limits.  That’s why it’s correct to outlaw racial and homophobic abuse.

Yes, but "the limits" have been getting ridiculous recently.

This "oh I take offence to that" has become the norm and indeed the war cry of anyone who just doesn't like what their opponents are arguing and makes it too easy to just ignore / cancel anything which leads to debate.

Sorry, but that's just not on.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I have a real problem squaring the idea that the same Russian state that forgot vehicles need fuel and have generally clown-shoed their way through the invasion of Ukraine has been puppet-mastering western politics in some Machiavellian grand plan for years.

It doesn't take a great level of sophistication to hire a load of student types to troll face book and urge on right wing nutters. Guccifer 2.0 wasn't exactly a mastermind of manipulation and subterfuge.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This "oh I take offence to that" has become the norm and indeed the war cry of anyone who just doesn't like what their opponents are arguing and makes it too easy to just ignore / cancel anything which leads to debate.

This is absolute pish. It's a silly fiction usually platformed in national media, ironically enough.

1 minute ago, Andre Bo said:

This is absolute pish. It's a silly fiction usually platformed in national media, ironically enough.

In fairness in the real world I haven't ever come across any of the "types" that you seem to get on social media and indeed even the mainstream, so whether or not they actually exist is I suppose open to debate (if still permitted).

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Christ, does that mean we'll soon no longer be able to use the letter "Z" ever again ??

It's the bloke from Police Academy I feel for.....

Yeah, you should avoid using the letter ‘Z’ and also the preceding 25 letters of the alphabet. Just to be safe.

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I tend to see this line of argument on Free Speech coming up a lot, usually on obscure, inaccessible platforms like Facebook, Twitter and BBC Question time.

3 minutes ago, Andre Bo said:

While the actual "people" may be fiction, the fact remains about the censorship of bizarre things like Fawlty Towers episodes and explicit "warnings" of content of certain TV programmes that the majority seem perplexed about.

If people are honestly being offended enough by John Cleese doing his Hitler sketch that they're actually complaining about it, then we're even more fcuked than I thought we were.....