Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Although the more conspiratorial among us would believe this was the outcome the US wanted, hence attempts to bait Russia into a conflict, it is a bit surprising Germany has taken such strong action when, essentially, Russia probably hasn't yet overstepped the mark in terms of resolving this diplomatically.
Very unclear if Putin is playing 4D chess or if yesterday's press conference was a Kevin Keegan-esque heads gone and he has completely miscalculated the situation.
Germany were bullied into it by the US. When they announced their intention to behave as such it was obvious the USA were much happier with it than the Germans.
Russia's already the biggest country in the world - how big does it need to be?
Catherine the Great had a good quote, which I shall paraphrase: "The only way to defend my borders is by extending them."

The Soviet Union's borders were easily defensible, Russia's are not.

12 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Very unclear if Putin is playing 4D chess or if yesterday's press conference was a Kevin Keegan-esque heads gone and he has completely miscalculated the situation.

I'm starting to wonder if this is just another example of why it's a poor idea to have bad tempered auld c***s running your country instead of enjoying their retirement. This could be just a last hurrah from somebody who kens he won't have to deal with the long-term consequences.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm starting to wonder if this is just another example of why it's a poor idea to have bad tempered auld c***s running your country instead of enjoying their retirement. This could be just a last hurrah from somebody who kens he won't have to deal with the long-term consequences.

Aye, makes you wonder if he's going to run again in 2024, could be he's just tidying his desk.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Catherine the Great had a good quote, which I shall paraphrase: "The only way to defend my borders is by extending them."

I believe Queen Victoria quoted her when asked why she'd allowed herself to become wider than she was tall.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, makes you wonder if he's going to run again in 2024, could be he's just tidying his desk.

At least the man has ambition. Imagine getting the top job at 78 and undertaking a programme of masterly inactivity.

(for example)

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I dread to think what today's version of this conversation would be. Probably just some PR Spad tring to find a couple of hard hats and hi vis vests for Boris and liz's big red button photo op. 

I would pay good money to see somebody attempt to have this conversation with the current Prime Minister.

Those summaries of Boris having the Brexit process explained to him were amazing.

8 minutes ago, Lester Freamon said:

Has good old Blighty announced what sanctions they're implementing yet or are they still trying to untangle that dark money web to avoid targeting some Tory party donor ?

"In his statement to MPs, he said the UK would be targeting Russian banks Rossiya, IS Bank, General Bank, Promsvyazbank and the Black Sea Bank.

The three individuals hit by sanctions are Gennady Timchenko, Boris Rotenberg, and Igor Rotenberg, he added." 

Not saying what the sanctions are though. Presumably freezing assets or something but it could just be suspending licences. 

Caviar supplies, furry hats and those nested dolls appear unaffected to date. 

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I would pay good money to see somebody attempt to have this conversation with the current Prime Minister.

Those summaries of Boris having the Brexit process explained to him were amazing.

UK rain is small, Ukraine is far away. Small.... far away.... 

1 hour ago, Lester Freamon said:

Has good old Blighty announced what sanctions they're implementing yet or are they still trying to untangle that dark money web to avoid targeting some Tory party donor ?

Yes, Boris has unleashed his "Barrage" of sanctions on a grand total of THREE mid ranking oligarchs who will already have moved their money or have it tied up in so many overseas knots that it will make absolutely no difference to anyone.

Yes, Vlad and his associates will be quivering in their boots and just wait until Ben threatens them with sending a fishery protection vessel to the Black sea !!!