Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Not directly related, but one of the reasons that Blair, Bush and co were able to perpetuate the myth of Iraqi WMD was that Sadaam's military chiefs had convinced him that they still existed, when in fact they were rotting in the desert and totally useless. If anybody on the Iraqi side had been brave enough to take the UN inspectors out to see them, it's faintly possible that the war could have been avoided. It's also possible the Iraqis thought that the myth of having WMD would protect them rather than the opposite.

13 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Reminds me of the type of person that can't call out Nicola Sturgeon and Boris Johnson at the same time for their covid failures. 

The grown ups are talking, fuckoff back to politics.

On 07/04/2022 at 19:34, sophia said:

You name will also go on the list 

@Elixir

@Blue Brazil Forever

@Firefoxer 

@steve55 

@Captain Saintsible 

@SuperSaints1877

12 hours ago, Detournement said:

I think the 8 year war in Donbass, persecution of Russian speakers, American funded military biolabs, the increasingly Nazi character of the Ukranian state, the refusal to implement the Minsk agreements and the lack of progress in security negotiations justify the war. 

It's similar to Vietnam invading Cambodia in 1978. 

Your name will also go on the list. What is it?

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The grown ups are talking, fuckoff back to politics.

That could be the cringeyst sentence I've read on here. 

It was a light jibe, I'm sorry that it obviously cut deep, enjoy your night with the grown ups sparring in this intellectual battlefield. 

26 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

That could be the cringeyst sentence I've read on here. 

It was a light jibe, I'm sorry that it obviously cut deep, enjoy your night with the grown ups sparring in this intellectual battlefield. 

A wee joke to lighten the mood when the subject is organised murder? Fair enough. 

12 hours ago, Detournement said:

I think the 8 year war in Donbass, persecution of Russian speakers, American funded military biolabs, the increasingly Nazi character of the Ukranian state, the refusal to implement the Minsk agreements and the lack of progress in security negotiations justify the war. 

It's similar to Vietnam invading Cambodia in 1978. 

That is some take. The murder, torture and rape of Ukrainian citizens is justified by these, eh? 

Wild. 

On 21/03/2022 at 06:49, Newbornbairn said:

Some level of victim blaming going on here. Russia is murdering men, women and children indiscriminately and it's Ukraine's fault for not surrendering?

On 21/03/2022 at 07:08, virginton said:

There's no evidence of indiscriminate murder of women and children FFS.

This aged well

12 hours ago, scottsdad said:

That is some take. The murder, torture and rape of Ukrainian citizens is justified by these, eh? 

Wild. 

It's exactly the same as Azov doing it for the last few years to ethnic Russians. It's shite but that's what happens in wars. The best thing is to avoid wars.

BBC on in the gym. They don't seem very happy about Putin saying the whoever hasn't surrendered in the steel plant can stay underground long term. 

Edited by Detournement

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's exactly the same as Azov doing it for the last few years to ethnic Russians. It's shite but that's what happens in wars. The best thing is to avoid wars.

BBC on in the gym. They don't seem very happy about Putin saying the whoever hasn't surrendered in the steel plant can stay underground long term. 

main-qimg-709bbcfdb0d1f2721d297ab76ed562

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

I can just picture that in the gym - you trying to strike up a conversation with the person on the machine next to you about the fake news media and their anti-Russian agenda, as everyone slowly moves further and further away from you.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I can just picture that in the gym - you trying to strike up a conversation with the person on the machine next to you about the fake news media and their anti-Russian agenda, as everyone slowly moves further and further away from you.

Ah yes. The kind of person who gets on the bus and starts talking about gods, and expresses surprise when all the other passengers get off at the same stop. 

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Ah yes. The kind of person who gets on the bus and starts talking about gods, and expresses surprise when all the other passengers get off at the same stop throw him off while the bus is still moving.

Shirley better.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Shirley better.

Maybe so.  A bit off topic but I honestly have no idea how I would have reacted if I was stuck on a plane with these folk... 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10726463/Plane-passengers-flight-sing-Christian-songs.html

Apols for the off topic slant! 

To go back (nearly) on topic, Wimbledon has banned players from Russia and Belarus this year. I heard some folk on the radio criticising that decision. I don't buy that. If it is felt appropriate to subject the entire population of the Russian Federation - the everyday bloke, woman and kid in the street - to punitive social and economic sanctions, it simply cannot be right that the "famous and powerful" are permitted to continue as if nothing has happened. I heard it said that sportspeople have no way to change Putin's mindset, so they should be left alone. Well neither does your average Russian. They are hit by sanctions. 

Of course, the tennis decision opens up boundless opportunities for the Forum's favourite pastime - "whataboutery".  In my view the Wimbledon decision is quite correct. Let other sporting and other bodies take decisions as they may, and to justify those decisions.  Any celebrations by Russia of any success, anywhere, would give me the boak. The idea that a Russian player's victory at any event, let alone the world's foremost tennis event, wouldn’t be lauded from the rooftops in Russia is ridiculous. No. Enough. 

55 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Shirley better.

I recall being on a train when somebody started talking to two women from the USA.   One of the women was asked what she was studying at university.  She replied "Theology and Latin American Studies".

There was a long pause.

Finally somebody said "Latin American Studies.  What's that all about?"