Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

9 hours ago, Clockwork said:

You think that the wrongful actions of the U.K. government in Iraq and Afghanistan or rotten apples within the British Army in Kenya, somehow exonerate the crimes of Putin’s forces in Ukraine? Wow.

No I don't think that.

I'm just puzzled as to many people are far more concerned about Russian crimes than the crimes of the country they live in. 

The UK currently has troops in Syria and forces in Saudi Arabia orchestrating a bombing campaign which has killed 300,000 Yemenis yet it barely merits a mention compared to Ukraine and Russia. 

In your post it's "bad apples" and "wrongful actions" when it's the UK but "crimes" for Russia. You probably don't even realise you are doing it. 

Edited by Detournement

No I don't think that.
I'm just puzzled as to many people are far more concerned about Russian crimes than the crimes of the country they live in. 
The UK currently has troops in Syria and forces in Saudi Arabia orchestrating a bombing campaign which has killed 300,000 Yemenis yet it barely merits a mention compared to Ukraine and Russia. 
In your post it's "bad apples" and "wrongful actions" when it's the UK but "crimes" for Russia. You probably don't even realise you are doing it. 

The UK’s involvement in Syria has been widely condemned on here, in that it has indeed lead to the deaths of innocent civilians. Is it just the wording that irks you? Why just not completely condemn the actions of Vladimir Putin and his forces in their illegal occupation and unjust invasion of a Sovereign state. Is that so difficult?

I think the 8 year war in Donbass, persecution of Russian speakers, American funded military biolabs, the increasingly Nazi character of the Ukranian state, the refusal to implement the Minsk agreements and the lack of progress in security negotiations justify the war. 

It's similar to Vietnam invading Cambodia in 1978. 

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Is that another political party on the go then? 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

the increasingly Nazi character of the Ukranian state

Aye cause Hitler would have wanted to join the EU

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think the 8 year war in Donbass, persecution of Russian speakers, American funded military biolabs, the increasingly Nazi character of the Ukranian state, the refusal to implement the Minsk agreements and the lack of progress in security negotiations justify the war. 

Away fling shite at the moon ya balloon. Utter and complete bollocks.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

No I don't think that.

So here's the latest rundown I can find of how many UK troops are based across the entire Middle East region - the vast majority of course will be either embassy staff or training teams on loan service. Comes to a cosy 400 or so across the whole region, and it may well be a bit less than that now, especially in Iraq. I doubt there are enough there to be "orchestrating" anything in any meaningful way. There's no degree of moral equivalence between that and Russia throwing what appears to be their entire fucking armed forces at a neighbouring country.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/uk-military-bases-personnel-based-middle-east

Likewise, the various isolated incidents of excesses by the UK military you've been able to dredge up covering the last 20 years or so don't excuse or compare to the grotesque campaign of seemingly orchestrated ethnic cleansing, rapine and sexual violence we've already seen in Ukraine.

Every army has at least some bad b*****ds in it and Britain is no exception - it comes with the territory - but it seems to be part and parcel of the Russian military psyche.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I know I really shouldn't but jees-oh.

You mean the Russian backed militants in Ukrainian territory?

You mean the resurgence of Ukrainian as a national language after decades of being forced to learn and speak Russian?

You mean the labs which have never been seen, photographed, "exposed" or captured despite being in Russian controlled territory?

You mean the Nazi who is currently President who happens to be Jewish, or the Nazis who want to join the EU, or the Nazis who want to get away from being under Moscow's thumb? It's hard to keep up tbh.

You mean the Minsk agreement in which Russia said they'd respect the borders and territory of Ukraine? That one?

You mean being worried that Ukraine might join NATO? Given that a) they clearly had every right to be worried they'd be invaded as they have been and b) this great strategy has only ensured that other countries in the region like Finland are poised to join NATO, it has completely backfired wouldn't you say?

"The Kremlin has vigorously denied any official ties to the war in the Donbas, saying that any Russians fighting in Eastern Ukrainian are volunteers concerned about alleged threats against the Russian-speaking population in the area from Ukrainian ultranationalists.

Sergei said he joined the fighting in 2014 because he was inspired by the concept of Novorossiya — meaning new Russia — the historical name for a large swathe of southern and eastern Ukraine that became part of imperial Russia. 

Russian President Vladimir Putin first revived the idea shortly after Russia's annexation of Crimea last March, and the term was subsequently adopted by pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine's east to justify their efforts to spread their anti-Kyiv movement across the country's southeast.

However by late 2015, the Kremlin had largely abandoned the concept, and many volunteers like Sergei left the region to return to their normal lives in Russia. 

But as tensions over Ukraine have reached new heights amid what the West sees as a threatening large scale Russian military build-up on the border with its neighbour, members of the UDV say they are preparing to once again take up arms in the Donbas.

“This chapter never closed for us. If things heat up again, of course, we will arm ourselves and go. We can be easily mobilized,” said Viktor Zaplatin, a senior member of the UDV whose social media indicated he has previously fought in Luhansk in Eastern Ukraine.

“We won’t give up all the hard-fought gains the republics have made,” he added, referring to the region’s breakaway Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics (DNR and LNR).

It remains unclear how many volunteers have fought in the Donbas, or what a possible new mobilization would look like.

A representative of UDV, which was founded by Vladislav Surkov, the ex-long-time advisor to President Vladimir Putin who was previously in charge of Russia’s policy in Ukraine, told The Moscow Times that it currently has 49 branches across Russia and that its membership has soared to 14,500 as of this year.."

P.S.

https://tass.com/russia/816955?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com

Edited by welshbairn

Ooooft, you have finally lost it. You really are an absolute loonball moon unit.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

So here's the latest rundown I can find of how many UK troops are based across the entire Middle East region - the vast majority of course will be either embassy staff or training teams on loan service. Comes to a cosy 400 or so across the whole region, and it may well be a bit less than that now, especially in Iraq. I doubt there are enough there to be "orchestrating" anything in any meaningful way. There's no degree of moral equivalence between that and Russia throwing what appears to be their entire fucking armed forces at a neighbouring country.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/uk-military-bases-personnel-based-middle-east

Likewise, the various isolated incidents of excesses by the UK military you've been able to dredge up covering the last 20 years or so don't excuse or compare to the grotesque campaign of seemingly orchestrated ethnic cleansing, rapine and sexual violence we've already seen in Ukraine.

Every army has at least some bad b*****ds in it and Britain is no exception - it comes with the territory - but it seems to be part and parcel of the Russian military psyche.

There are RAF staff working at the in Saudi Arabia servicing the planes that bomb Yemen. 

1300 British troops are fighting illegally in Iraq and Syria as part of Operation Shader.

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There are RAF staff working at the in Saudi Arabia servicing the planes that bomb Yemen. 

1300 British troops are fighting illegally in Iraq and Syria as part of Operation Shader.

Ok, I'll bite. 

Who are "we" fighting against in Operation Shader?