Sheepshaggers v Spoonburners - Sat 19th

3 hours ago, betting competition said:

The locals was very friendly so it horrible to see what is going on there. 

They were friendly; however, we walked through the police cordon at Hotel Dnipro with the foolhardy plan of enjoying a few post-match beers  in the town. No sooner had we walked round the corner, than this car appeared with a screeching braking skid that wouldn't have looked out of place in The Sweeney.

The car emptied of it's passengers with a battle cry as they exited with one of them waving what appeared to be a sword above his head.

We retreated back round the corner through the police cordon and back into the safety of the hotel bar with the other 200 or so Dons fans staying there.

We had been hustled onto buses after the match, which reminded me on watching the paparazzi getting taken away from the Princess Diana crash scene in Paris, and straight back to the Hotel Dnipro whether you were staying there or not.

3 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

For some reason, my biggest if ailing memory is of Willie (but could have been someone else) tying his laces when Porto were on the attack.  Also, I remember a strange, resigned feeling of that-is-that, after Porto scored, (and I remember Porto's goal as a breakaway tap-in).  It felt like we could have played for a hundred years and not scored, we seemed listless and they were too well organised.

Of course none of the above could be true, but it's always been how I've felt about that game.  It was also the game when I first realised that the mighty-mighty dandies, might be on the wane!  (I was still only 15 at the time).

Yours

aDONis

I believe Porto's goal was a cross-cum-shot that appeared from the haar and looped over but to the side of Leighton.

It was kind of fitting that those glorious European nights should end* in a haar that has only sporadically lifted over the last 38 years.

I have memories of the small band of Porto fans in the Main Stand singing "Oporto" which was met with the reply of "shite" from the home fans in a "United, shite" kinda of style.

I did read that the Porto sub and ex-Blackpool man, Mickey Walsh went drinking with a couple of Dons players to Willie Miller's Sweepers watering hole after the match.

*We did have one final European hurrah with Fergie and a great win against Servette but that also ended in a damp squib against IFK, which I suppose was even more fitting as it ended in the Ullevi.

Fegire's last European match was 0-3 reverse in Sion as we crashed out 2-4 on aggregate. Ironic that it all ended against the team where the ECWC run to the final started.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

My abiding memory of the Porto game was the trip from Elgin to Pittodrie sitting in the back of my old boys motor with his mate and a carrier bag of nudey books. 

And the haar.

Why was the carrier bag of nudey books taken to the game? Or were they hidden in the car?

When psych band and Porto fans 10,000 Russos played The Tunnels in Aberdeen three years ago, they made a pilgrimage to Pittodrie and the drummer wore an inside out Aberdeen top from around the turn of the century.

Damn fine band too..

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Why was the carrier bag of nudey books taken to the game? Or were they hidden in the car?

It was the other boy in the back seat that turned up with the bag. I was 12, he was about 19. Made the hour and a half journey a lot quicker.

4 hours ago, betting competition said:

Was any other dandies impressed with Jim Goodwin press conference yesterday?

You edited this and still didn't correct the grammar!

Tut tut and tut again.

Were not was. (Not to be confused with the band that did Walk the dinosaur - Was not was.)

30 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

You edited this and still didn't correct the grammar!

Tut tut and tut again.

Were not was. (Not to be confused with the band that did Walk the dinosaur - Was not was.)

You missed out a comma.

5 hours ago, betting competition said:

Was any other dandies impressed with Jim Goodwin press conference yesterday?

Allowing for your shocking grammar, I was indeed impressed by the 20 minute interview. I liked his honesty about Emmanuel-Thomas, but others will no doubt claim that Jim Goodwin is throwing him under a bus.

OK, I am not going so options for today - 

1. Hibs tv via IPTV?
  2. Put phone on flight mode, watch later on Alba? 
  3. Force myself to listen to the wanks on OAM and get something useful done?

Pros and Cons to each, but leaning toward 3 - beautiful sunny day, back garden needs some tidying, paving needs a jetwash, potential for a beer in lounger after.

Feel sorry for any fule having to watch this one live - prayers are with you all.

Edited by Leith Green

37 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

1. Hibs tv via IPTV?

Pros and Cons to each, but leaning toward 3 - beautiful sunny day, back garden needs some tidying, paving needs a jetwash, potential for a beer in lounger after.

Feel sorry for any fule having to watch this one live - prayers are with you all.

I would go for 2 with the combination of doing your housework until the game starts.

And then crack open a nice lager (or Coca Cola, I won’t be judgemental) and enjoy the game on Alba (until it starts).

Getting the train in about 2 hours, looking forward to the day out unfortunately with a bit of football (if you can call it that) in between.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

1. Hibs tv via IPTV?

Go straight to this.

Prediction: 1-2