Songs, movies and shows that wouldn't be made nowadays

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

It gets worse. Either Spielberg or Lucas wanted it to be explicit in the script that Indy had been banging Marion when she was underage, and the other one vetoed it.

Lucas tends to get the blame for the bad decisions, but I get the feeling it was Spielberg's idea for Indy to be an unconvicted sex offender..

Raiders of the Swing Park

On 17/03/2022 at 10:22, Jacksgranda said:

No, I couldn't be bothered writing "by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap".

And as far as being conflicted he could hardly advocate statutory rape, which having sex with an underage girl is in the States.

I said it was strange because plenty other performers from that era didn't seem to be conflicted as has been highlighted in the thread.

I'll throw in Dylan's If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Or Else You Gotta Stay All Night) into the mix.

On 17/03/2022 at 10:22, Jacksgranda said:

No, I couldn't be bothered writing "by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap".

And as far as being conflicted he could hardly advocate statutory rape, which having sex with an underage girl is in the States.

Andre Williams was trying to warn all the other musicians.

Leon would be very problematic

leon-the-professional.jpg

On the same subject

Hey baby you're a sweet young thing, Still tied to Mommy's apron strings, I don't even dare to ask your age, It's enough to know you're here backstage, You're Jailbait, and I just can't wait, Jailbait baby come on One look baby, all I need, My decision made at lightning speed, I don't even want to know your name, It's enough to know you feel the same, You're Jailbait, and I just can't wait, Jailbait baby come on Hey babe you know you look so fine, Send shivers up and down my spine, I don't care about our different ages, I'm an open book with well thumbed pages, You're Jailbait, and I just can't wait, Jailbait baby come on

Edited by ICTChris

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Does Your Mother Know is a cracking tune from ABBA but it's undoubtedly noncey.

It's not at all. It's about respectfully declining sex from a lassie who is probably too young. The opposite of noncey, in fact. They can dance, but nowt more. 

25 minutes ago, velo army said:

It's not at all. It's about respectfully declining sex from a lassie who is probably too young. The opposite of noncey, in fact. They can dance, but nowt more. 

Yeah, I always wondered why that song shows up on these kinds of lists.

I suppose you could wonder why the narrator is thinking about jailbait in the first place, but it's ABBA - no doubt Benny & Bjorn were constantly fighting off ladies of all ages, the handsome stallions.

If I was aware a lassie was underage I'd be leaving the area, not saying it's ok to dance [emoji38]

In terms of songs you just couldn't see being released in a modern climate, Kate Bush's Infant Kiss has got to be right up there. IIRC it's inspired by some old B&W movie where a kid's possessed by the spirit of a dead adult, but nevertheless the whole thing's decidedly disquieting:

I say "Goodnight, night"
I tuck him in tight
But things are not right
What is this? An infant kiss
That sends my body tingling?
I've never fallen for
A little boy before
No control
Just a kid and just at school
Back home they'd call me dirty
His little hand is on my heart
He's got me where it hurts me
Knock, knock, who's there in this baby?
You know how to work me
All my barriers are going
It's starting to show
Let go, let go

I cannot sit and let
Something happen, I'll regret
Ooh, he scares me
There's a man behind those eyes
I catch him when I'm bending
Ooh, how he frightens me
When they whisper privately (poor, stupid girl)
Windy-wailey blows me
Words of caress on their lips
That speak of adult love
I want to smack but I hold back
I only want to touch
But I must stay and find a way
To stop before it gets too much

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The two fifty-year-olds (one who made James Franco look like he had big eyes and the other who looked like a sex-crazed Shetland pony) lusting after 20-year-old "dolly birds" certainly makes for unsettling viewing at this remove

😄 I have absolutely no idea who you mean, but that's a brilliant description!

53 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

On the same subject

Hey baby you're a sweet young thing, Still tied to Mommy's apron strings, I don't even dare to ask your age, It's enough to know you're here backstage, You're Jailbait, and I just can't wait, Jailbait baby come on One look baby, all I need, My decision made at lightning speed, I don't even want to know your name, It's enough to know you feel the same, You're Jailbait, and I just can't wait, Jailbait baby come on Hey babe you know you look so fine, Send shivers up and down my spine, I don't care about our different ages, I'm an open book with well thumbed pages, You're Jailbait, and I just can't wait, Jailbait baby come on

Read Lemmy's autobiography. He openly talks about shagging a 14 year old.

On 17/03/2022 at 09:42, ICTChris said:

I’m currently watching the 1967 Jungle Book with my four year old, it has a content warning, presumably about the portrayal of Indians.

There is also a content warning on Aliens, I can only assume for the scene where they take the piss out of Vasquez and say she only joined the Marines because she’s an illegal immigrant.

I think the plot of Silence of the Lambs might draw some ire for its portrayal of a transgender serial killer, Buffalo Bill, whose gender identity is central to his crimes. In the book they very specifically say that the killer isn’t really transgender, it’s also touched on in the movie.

Apologies if been mentioned in the next 8 pages but the content warning for aliens is because Vasquez is played by a white woman 'blacked' up to appear latino. 

No joke.  

1 minute ago, JamesP_81 said:

Apologies if been mentioned in the next 8 pages but the content warning for aliens is because Vasquez is played by a white woman 'blacked' up to appear latino. 

No joke.  

Don't quite see the point of a 'warning', but it is nice that Hollywood's finally having to stop looking around for white people who can "act ethnic".

As good a job as Jeanette Goldstein did, it's quite funny to think that Fox would've struggled to find an actual badass Latina in California.

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

I'll take on that task. Or at least, the Kate Bush of 40 years ago when she and I were both younger.

You were too old for her back then, m9.

23 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

No joke.  

Hopefully Short Circuit 2 has a similar warning

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Hopefully Short Circuit 2 has a similar warning

Do you remember that film? It needs more than just a warning for Fisher Stevens in brownface!