Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

The government can (and should) change the remit of the central bank to consider more than the myopic fixation with an inflation target though. That target is just a fossil of 1990s neoliberal economic fixations, that has no relevance to current circumstances. 

The BoE has now baked in a significant recession and thinks that this will be enough on its own to correct the problem. 

38 minutes ago, virginton said:

The government has already been bending over backwards to help car drivers at the expense of every other section of society since at least 2010. 

I agree however with public transport strikes up and down the country car reliance will be going up not down until that issue can be sorted.

Also as oil fired heating is exempt from the price cap it would be good to see the VAT cut on that, probably even 0% wouldn't return the savings of people in urban areas.

The US Fed raised rates by 0.75% and are likely to raise again multiple times this year. High profile economic figures are openly saying that they need to force a recession to get inflation down.

My bet is they cause a recession and inflation doesn't blink then things will get very, very ugly.

33 minutes ago, 101 said:

I agree however with public transport strikes up and down the country car reliance will be going up not down until that issue can be sorted.

Also as oil fired heating is exempt from the price cap it would be good to see the VAT cut on that, probably even 0% wouldn't return the savings of people in urban areas.

The VAT on fuel used for heating is 5%. Reducing it to zero will make very little difference to the consumer. 

There was an argument about reducing VAT on gas/electricity to 0% a while ago. Similarly, it will not save consumers much money and would also have the added issue of costing the government a shitload of money that they'll look to make up from somewhere else. 

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The VAT on fuel used for heating is 5%. Reducing it to zero will make very little difference to the consumer. 

There was an argument about reducing VAT on gas/electricity to 0% a while ago. Similarly, it will not save consumers much money and would also have the added issue of costing the government a shitload of money that they'll look to make up from somewhere else. 

I wonder if you could 0 rate it on pre pay methods to try and balance the costs between those stuck on the higher priced tariff, for those customers it would make a bigger difference 

55 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I just consider them the same since it’s owned by the government

There’s plenty to be legitimately criticising the government for.  Blaming them for the interest rate rise strikes me as someone desperate to blame them for anything and everything.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

How exactly is that going to happen? Very few people who rely on public transport are going to suddenly fork out for a car and all the attendant costs - before you even start thinking about fuel prices - because of public transport strikes. 

People who already own and maintain a car will certainly rely on it more, but they are not even remotely at the top of the priority list for help, now or indeed ever. Strikes will reduce the number of people who move from the latter camp to the former, but they do not make the case for yet more tax relief for a privileged interest group. 

On 16/06/2022 at 13:43, Michael W said:

It would have saved me £24.00 on my last order, which is 12% of my weekly income.

This is the c**t who says people should not be asking for big increases to offset rising costs.

06B87406-E2C1-49C7-82BC-A25918B04E01.jpeg.39b2cfeff99b37cb9547f1688f283f1e.jpeg

His name is Simon Clarke and believe or not he is not a school prefect, he’s actually Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

His hatred of personkind is probably because he got the shite kicked out of him every day at school.*

* if he didn’t he should have.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Just been round to the local Co-op and they are charging £8.15 for a 200g jar of rich instant coffee.

Probably due to the rise in the cost of fuel to get the product from process to shop shelf.

That is is just everyday instant where as the bean coffee which would get served in the coffee shops and restaurants surely they would also pass the cost onto the customer.

Mind you with the speed of global warming in a couple of years we might be growing our own beans here in the UK.

Try this one. It's first class.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/tea-coffee/bellarom-gold-freeze-dried-instant-coffee/p333

Why are there differences in the price of petrol with the same company.
It has been going up daily at our local Tesco last week and is currently 189.9 for unleaded.
I was up in Perth today and Tesco at the football ground was 179.9.
Going on a comparison site it seems Edinburgh is also cheaper.
Is this the price of becoming a City! [emoji848]

49 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Why are there differences in the price of petrol with the same company.
It has been going up daily at our local Tesco last week and is currently 189.9 for unleaded.
I was up in Perth today and Tesco at the football ground was 179.9.
Going on a comparison site it seems Edinburgh is also cheaper.
Is this the price of becoming a City! emoji848.png

Glenrothes Asda was 5p cheaper than the dunfermline asda yesterday...it's bonkers 

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Glenrothes Asda was 5p cheaper than the dunfermline asda yesterday...it's bonkers 

It will just depend what competition they have locally. My closest 2 are Sainsburys and Asda. Across the road from each other so very little difference in price. 

Petrolprice.com app. I'll keep repeating that until everyone has downloaded it. 

Petrol stations will get away with ripping folk off until people learn to shop around. 

Edited by Suspect Device

The three Tesco Inverness supermarkets were 3p cheaper than Morrisons on Friday, then they jumped 5p on Saturday so they're 2p more. I'm not sure how much Petrolprices helps tbh, you're usually better off just filling up at the closest supermarket. Shame for the independents who can't compete on volume discounts and loss leading, but there we are.

Edited by welshbairn

Mortgage affordability test to be axed by the Bank of England | This is Money

This is completely the wrong way to go when people are already overstretched. The only thing that helps people get affordable housing is more housing, not more credit.

And when the interest rates are heading up, it's completely irresponsible.

Mortgage affordability test to be axed by the Bank of England | This is Money
This is completely the wrong way to go when people are already overstretched. The only thing that helps people get affordable housing is more housing, not more credit.
And when the interest rates are heading up, it's completely irresponsible.
Imagine that would be the shortest bankers meeting ever....

"People are going to start failing affordability checks for mortgages soon, what should we do?"

0.9 seconds passes.....

"So that's unanimous then we bin them and lend like f**k let's go to the pub"