Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

This whole "stop wasting money, snowflakes" bullshit has always amounted to "I'm alright, Jack" with a side order of "because I'm so much better than you" to feed the ego. It falls apart with even the most basic of scrutiny.

You can only hope that the youngsters actually learn lessons from seeing the selfish arrogance of their grandparents' generation, but I doubt it. Old age is apparently the time for self-congratulation and spite towards your replacements.

I just realised that my parents are both too old to be boomers. Apparently they were referred to as the "Silent Generation".

Supposedly I'm GenX, which I find bizarre as they all seemed much older than me when I was wee.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Electric bill just arrived - up by 41%

Phone bill was up by 16%

Oil is up by 41% since last July

Diesel up by 13% since February

Pension up 3.1% 

Phone bills in particular irritate me. They all have clauses saying price will rise each year by inflation plus 4% or whatever. Think how screwed we'd all be if everyone raised prices by inflation plus 4%. 

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

This whole "stop wasting money, snowflakes" bullshit has always amounted to "I'm alright, Jack" with a side order of "because I'm so much better than you" to feed the ego. It falls apart with even the most basic of scrutiny.

You can only hope that the youngsters actually learn lessons from seeing the selfish arrogance of their grandparents' generation, but I doubt it. Old age is apparently the time for self-congratulation and spite towards your replacements.

Typically, the language of "sacrifice" is used, as in "you need to sacrifice" to be able to have somewhere to live. Leaving aside the realities of the economy we live in, it's still crackers how some see housing as something which should be priced as a luxury (I accept that reality says that it IS, I am just not convinced that this most basic of needs should be and that's why everything's fucked!).

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Typically, the language of "sacrifice" is used, as in "you need to sacrifice" to be able to have somewhere to live. Leaving aside the realities of the economy we live in, it's still crackers how some see housing as something which should be priced as a luxury (I accept that reality says that it IS, I am just not convinced that this most basic of needs should be and that's why everything's fucked!).

Oh, we'll be seeing a lot more of that in the coming years. It's becoming acceptable to expect people to live on a diet of base carbohydrate, for example.

This will be the Great British blitz spirit of sacrifice we hear so much about, from people who aren't old enough to have experienced it themselves, and who have no intention of experiencing it in their old age either.

If current trends continue, at some stage the Tories are going to get fired into state pension to find some cash to give to their mates. When one thinks of the pathetic mewling about the loss of the triple lock, any sort of reform that leads to the same levels of awfulness as UC etc is going to result in a burning sense of boomer rage and entitlement that will be visible from outer space.  Should be a laugh. 

8 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Phone bills in particular irritate me. They all have clauses saying price will rise each year by inflation plus 4% or whatever. Think how screwed we'd all be if everyone raised prices by inflation plus 4%. 

Do an even basic shop around though and you'll likely get more for less money with another provider at the end of every SIM-only deal. That's a market that relies on convenience/laziness. 

58 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

If current trends continue, at some stage the Tories are going to get fired into state pension to find some cash to give to their mates. When one thinks of the pathetic mewling about the loss of the triple lock, any sort of reform that leads to the same levels of awfulness as UC etc is going to result in a burning sense of boomer rage and entitlement that will be visible from outer space.  Should be a laugh. 

Thats when you'll find out that there's an imaginary credit bank for "sacrifices made", with all of them heavily in the blue and therefore, ought to be exempt from making any more. 

"My Parents lived on rations, therefore I should be protected from the cost of living increase affecting my lifestyle" likely to feature highly

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Thats when you'll find out that there's an imaginary credit bank for "sacrifices made", with all of them heavily in the blue and therefore, ought to be exempt from making any more. 

"My Parents lived on rations, therefore I should be protected from the cost of living increase affecting my lifestyle" likely to feature highly

"I fought in two World Cups for you!"

Would it not be pretty simple to look at what the government budgeted to receive in VAT from fuel and then reduce the VAT % to that amount, or more sensibly stop taxing the duty itself.

33 minutes ago, 101 said:

Would it not be pretty simple to look at what the government budgeted to receive in VAT from fuel and then reduce the VAT % to that amount, or more sensibly stop taxing the duty itself.

The government has already been bending over backwards to help car drivers at the expense of every other section of society since at least 2010. 

I genuinely despair at the government and how thick they are. Increasing interest rates at this time is just going to push people even further into trouble. It won’t impact inflation since the main driver of the increase in inflation are energy prices which people need to pay/buy no matter what

17 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I genuinely despair at the government and how thick they are. Increasing interest rates at this time is just going to push people even further into trouble. It won’t impact inflation since the main driver of the increase in inflation are energy prices which people need to pay/buy no matter what

Setting interest rates is nothing to do with the government.  That was handed over to BoE years ago.