Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

It is nowhere near starting to fall off a cliff.

Yet another bollocks prediction.

What, in your mind, does "starting to fall off a cliff" look like?

You're coming across as utterly raging that something I said months ago would start happening from the end of April looks like it is indeed starting to happen. Why so bitter?

• 4 weeks later...

Inflation not coming down as expected (consensus was 8.4%) in UK but falling in most of Europe with the exception of the Netherlands.

image.thumb.png.c25b8c8d999d7b5ecf23b72b8ccc514f.png

Expect another interest rate rise tomorrow. Just a matter of will it be 0.25% or 0.5% I guess.

Hope no-one is needing to re-mortgage in the near future.

And @Weebully and @Todd_is_God can resume their wee tiff. So that'll be fun.

Edited by Suspect Device

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Inflation not coming down as expected (consensus was 8.4%) in UK but falling in most of Europe with the exception of the Netherlands.

Expect another interest rate rise tomorrow. Just a matter of will it be 0.25% or 0.5% I guess.

Pretty convenient inflation failing to budge just days before yet another (planned / baked in) interest rate rise. These Charlatans don't have a clue but when you take into account they are nigh all millionaires then it's clear to see why as it's utterly meaningless and irrelevant to them on a personal basis. 

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Where’s Spain?

Spoiler

No South West of France or East of Portugal answers please.

Spoiler

Or north of Africa.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Where’s Spain?

Reveal hidden contents

No South West of France or East of Portugal answers please.

Reveal hidden contents

Or north of Africa.

Just south of France and East of Portugal.  Ho fucking ho. 

Doing so well I couldn't even fit it in my snip.

image.png.e3014b0ab7e65e467f59d33c15da7ce0.png

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What a time to be alive ! Clueless now no longer gets close.

Screenshot_20230622-073500_BBC News.jpg

James Cleverley was just on R4 (initially talking about Ukraine).

He was asked about Sunaks "I will halve inflation this year" plan, and what levers he had to pull.

He tried to talk about interest rates, but Justin Webb (correctly) interrupted him and said that the BoE is independent, and will do this anyway - and what are the specific measures outside this that Sunak will implement.

Cue 3 or 4 minutes of silence, bluster, clueless soundbites - it was utterly embarrassing and makes you realise that these p***ks have absolutely no idea.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

He was asked about Sunaks "I will halve inflation this year" plan, and what levers he had to pull.

He tried to talk about interest rates, but Justin Webb (correctly) interrupted him and said that the BoE is independent, and will do this anyway - and what are the specific measures outside this that Sunak will implement.

Cue 3 or 4 minutes of silence, bluster, clueless soundbites - it was utterly embarrassing and makes you realise that these p***ks have absolutely no idea.

But will they stop the boats?

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Screenshot_20230622-082214_BBCNews.thumb.jpg.bfafa332fb24c0106c4cecd901037b6c.jpg

7 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

I like how they're still pretending that we're not in a recession already.

I liked the stories about how the pandemic could drive us back into austerity, as if public bodies hadn't still been under the same incremental spending reductions they'd faced for the prior decade.

Martin Lewis is punting a theory which is bound to have at least some bearing on reality - if the problem is too much money available, broadly a third of the country has a mortgage and a third outright own their home. Interest rate rises are basically a reallocation of that money, taking money away from mortgage-holders and putting it into the pockets of those who outright own via interest rates. 

The traditional method of interest rate rises are therefore doing absolutely nothing to even slow inflation let alone solve it - no doubt we can see that’s definitely true. 

We should end up in a situation where the headline rate falls by the end of the year, with limited successful intervention, simply because it’s comparing like-for-like with absolute madness. But that was the theory post-April too as energy bills originally went wild in April 22 and it didn’t play out at all. 

Wholesale costs of energy, construction costs, fuel and wholesale food prices are now all but back where they were pre Russia invading Ukraine. In the main this is starting to look like a uniquely British problem. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not for everyone, another example of the unacceptable face of capitalism - grifters gonna grift.

Lush paid managers £5m in bonuses after taking £5m in state support

Edited by btb