Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

4 hours ago, Left Back said:

It’s perfectly normal for these figures to get revised as more data becomes available.  When they are first released there’s an element of guesswork in there.  Anyone who pays any attention to the news knows this.

The ONS is not even a government body.  Not every single thing that happens is a government on the fiddle.

Maybe not fiddle but mighty convenient to enable them to claim growth rather than recession. Initial figure is the one that gets all the attention. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Inflation on the rise again I'm sure the sage of all things will be telling us all about it and how it had been forecast 😉

It's the total gash "causes" they give that amuse me. This month it's the rise in tobacco duty and......an increase in THEATRE TICKETS. I'm sure those on the bread line will be suitably comforted by the reasons. 

The shipping issues affecting the Suez canal route is very likely to see it tick up again if continuing.

It's laughable that the Govt claim any credit for inflation falling yet today "it's a global issue" which it is both rising and falling and nothing they are doing is having any effect on that. Prices rising less quickly is offset for the public by higher interest rates. Those are going to take longer to fall if inflation falls more slowly or stall. It's smoke and mirrors that falling inflation is making us better off unless you are mortgage or loan free.

Car insurers are just taking the piss right now - my renewal quote has gone up by 57%.   Tried to get a deal elsewhere but being quoted similar figures.

The reason given is inflation and an increase in claims - infuriating as I've only ever had one claim - nearly 7 years ago.

It's pure profiteering.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Car insurers are just taking the piss right now - my renewal quote has gone up by 57%.   Tried to get a deal elsewhere but being quoted similar figures.

The reason given is inflation and an increase in claims - infuriating as I've only ever had one claim - nearly 7 years ago.

It's pure profiteering.

My insurance went up by 80%. 

On 17/01/2024 at 11:49, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's pure profiteering.

I was previously with LV but when I received my renewal quote it had nearly doubled. I told them to stick that up their arse and switched insurer and am paying about the same as I was last year. 

On 17/01/2024 at 11:49, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's pure profiteering.

Yep, mine went up by a similar amount last time, I told them to stuff it and - quelle surprise - they reduced it.

Asked them why this didnt happen immediately and there was no sensible answer - so I went elsewhere.

Even people like my mum (79, does next to no miles, full no claims in a daft wee car) hers went up by 50% !!

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Who did you go with? Did you change anything in terms of your cover?

I ended up going with 1st Central. The cover was pretty much the same as I had but cheaper than it would have been if I had stayed with LV.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I need to shop around for home insurance. Im paying about 30 quid a month IIRC which I dont think is TOO excessive, but I havent changed in years so surely a better deal out there. 

Avoid Towergate. We had a simple contents policy to cover white goods to the tune of £5k for years and then last year they left the premium the same (£130pa) but tacked on a £50 ‘admin fee’. Angry call led to them offering to waive it but f**k em at that point. 

11 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

GoCompare just saved me £80.

Do people not do this every year? 

I've previously renewed with Direct Line, sometimes without troubling myself to open the envelope. 

Not this year. Direct Line doubled, doubled down during my call to them and lost my business when GoCompare made it easy for me

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

No…

…I use the meerkat.

As long as you do something.

My renewal was £280. If the difference was <£20 or so I might not bother but £80 saved this year. That's in my pocket. 

Never auto renew without checking. Never. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Just got an email from my home insurance company saying that they weren’t able to renew the policy when it expires next month. I paid £227 last year. The cheapest quote I have had on MoneySuperMarket is £453! 😳

Sign up for TopCashback.com - even better if you use my referral link https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/jamie_beatson - and use GoCompare through their site. At some point in 2-3 months you'll get £40 back in cash. Not amazing savings given your premium has doubled but helps a little... Did mine in November and got the cashback last week.

Edited by Jamie_B

• 2 months later...

It's that monthly reminder that inflation coming down to 3.2% from 3.4% does not mean that prices are coming down. Just going up at a slightly slower rate.

The good people of P&B should not need reminded about this but the Tory politicians on TV today all seem to.

Edited by Suspect Device