Scottish Cup 2022/23

19 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

(who’s name escapes me but know I’m giving you full credit)

Twas me - couldn't do it last time as the site was down, and you've saved me doing it this time :) I did it in Excel first then copied it over to help with the formatting. There's also home advantage to be considered, which is accounted for in the +/- calculations after each game, which might narrow/extend the advantage for some clubs. Used this for the SFA's Scottish Cup predictor as well.

Twas me - couldn't do it last time as the site was down, and you've saved me doing it this time [emoji4] I did it in Excel first then copied it over to help with the formatting. There's also home advantage to be considered, which is accounted for in the +/- calculations after each game, which might narrow/extend the advantage for some clubs. Used this for the SFA's Scottish Cup predictor as well.

I probably should’ve just waited for you to do it yourself. How did you account for home advantage? Boost each teams rating by a certain amount?

4 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I probably should’ve just waited for you to do it yourself. How did you account for home advantage? Boost each teams rating by a certain amount?

I asked the guy for a spreadsheet so I could work out the "predicted" scores, i.e. the score that would result in a close to zero +/- for a match, and the calculation formula included +100 points on the ranking for the home team to account for home advantage. 

I seem to remember last year in the Scottish Cup thread, a poster (who’s name escapes me but know I’m giving you full credit) used the ScotScore website’s ranking points as a method of measuring the two teams in different leagues together. Whilst not a sure fire 100% prediction rate, I seem to remember that the system got the vast majority of the predictions right. So, I’ve decided, as I am sad and seem to have a lot of disposable time, that I would do the same for this round of the cup.

https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html - here is the link for the website if anyone is interested.

Note - I’ve measured clubs with a gap of 50 or less as expected to draw. Anything more and the side with the higher ranking is expected to win.

Friday
Cumnock - 2670
Dumbarton - 2741
Difference - -71
DUMBARTON

Saturday
Brechin - 2763
Stirling - 2839
Difference - -76
STIRLING

Bo’ness - 2626
Auchinleck - 2767
Difference - -141
AUCHINLECK

Buckie - 2749
Broomhill - 2629
Difference - +120
BUCKIE

Carnoustie - 2611
Formartine - 2613
Difference - -2
DRAW

Dalbeattie - 2403
Darvel - 2813
Difference - -410
DARVEL

Dunbar - 2438
Stirling Uni - 2651
Difference - -213
STIRLING UNI

Dunipace - 2517
Banks o’Dee - 2665
Difference - -148
BANKS O DEE

East Kilbride - 2749
Caley Braves - 2640
Difference - +109
EAST KILBRIDE

Elgin - 2744
Camelon - 2385
Difference - +359
ELGIN

Fraserburgh - 2699
Stranraer - 2704
Difference - -5
DRAW

Glasgow Uni - 2354
Albion Rovers - 2702
Difference - -348
ALBION ROVERS

Gretna - 2436
Drumchapel - 2637
Difference - +201
DRUMCHAPEL

Kilwinning - 2713
Forfar - 2707
Difference - +6
Draw

Linlithgow - 2720
Spartans - 2691
Difference - +29
DRAW

Newtongrange Star - 2503
Hill of Beath - 2580
Difference - -71
HILL OF BEATH

Sauchie - 2613
Bonnyrigg - 2716
Difference - -103
BONNYRIGG ROSE

Stenhousemuir - 2749
East Fife - 2761
Difference - -12
DRAW

Wick - 2374
Benburb - 2547
Difference - -173
BENBURB

Of course, this doesn’t take into account things like red cards, the venue, weather conditions etc. - it’s pretty much measured on a form basis. It’s just quite interesting to see how teams in different leagues match up against each other.
Brilliant, but what about Pollok v Annan?

Brilliant, but what about Pollok v Annan?

Using the +100 scenario that@Ginaro did last year, then it would be:

Pollok - 2792
Annan - 2716
Difference - +76

With Annan in such bad nick, it’s probably as good a chance as you’ll get for an ‘upset’ in this round IMO. Maybe Kilwinning/Forfar too.

I like the idea of a Scotland-wide rating system but i’d take the source website with a pinch of salt. For example it rates Brechin as 36th best Scottish team, whereas Clyde are down in 50th. I know Clyde aren’t doing brilliantly but they’re 2 leagues above Brechin at the moment.

I suspect the system is putting too much weight into recent results and not enough into the overall “class” of the team. 

1 minute ago, BinoBalls said:

I like the idea of a Scotland-wide rating system but i’d take the source website with a pinch of salt. For example it rates Brechin as 36th best Scottish team, whereas Clyde are down in 50th. I know Clyde aren’t doing brilliantly but they’re 2 leagues above Brechin at the moment.

I suspect the system is putting too much weight into recent results and not enough into the overall “class” of the team. 

Momentum can count for a lot

4 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

They're split 2763-2712 which is a relatively fine margin. Any attempt at rankings are going to be wonky, but then so is saying there's a couple of tiers between teams.

For all anyone can say at this point Brechin and Clyde will be playing in the same league next season.

4 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

Clyde are 31st in the pyramid, while Brechin are =43rd. That's basically just one league separating them.

It may overestimate those at the top of their league and underestimate those at the bottom of their league, but it's a decent enough ranking. Cumnock 2670 and Dumbarton 2741, home advantage closed the gap but the higher ranked side won. Suppose we'll see tomorrow how accurate it is...

It seems only McBookie have priced up all the Scottish Cup ties tomorrow - only Stenhousemuir vs East Fife is listed elsewhere & that'll be as the ignorant eejits at those bookies are assuming it's a league game!

Anyone see any value in any of the McBookie prices?

It seems only McBookie have priced up all the Scottish Cup ties tomorrow - only Stenhousemuir vs East Fife is listed elsewhere & that'll be as the ignorant eejits at those bookies are assuming it's a league game!

Anyone see any value in any of the McBookie prices?
21/10 for Kilwinning to beat us is huge. We may well win but that's tasty as a single

I generally find McBookie generous with their odds for the draw.

A few anomalies

Talbot Evens away to Bo”ness at McBookie but Oddschecker saying Coral are more than double at 21/10. 
Dunbar at home to Stirling Uni 10/1 Betfair and PP but only 21/5 McBookie