Dundee FC New Stadium Thread

50 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’m pretty sure Almondvale was a two stand ground for the first few years after it opened?

I was positive Saints played a Scottish Cup tie there with only main stand and away one behind the goal but maybe I’m misremembering this…

ETA: looks like 3 stands originally with the corners open. Looks very different:

1995     "the club are scheduled to move in October/November with an initial capacity for 4,000 spectators"
1996     West + East sides open; North end under construction; capacity = 4,000
1997     North end open; capacity = 6,100
1999     (capacity = 6,015)
2000     South end, north-east and south-east corners open; capacity = 10,004

(all according to ground plans in Scottish League Review published each autumn)

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

I don't think he is a United fan more a supporter of Dundee clubs.

Jim McLean wanted him to buy United before Eddie Thomson and at the time McLean said he didn't know or even think Bennet had a team 

He’s an Aberdeen fan. 

Genuine question, but what gives the Dundee fans such confidence thst this will actually get built? It's been mooted for years and still not a spade in the ground. Not close enough to the ins and outs, but is it that everything is in place re funding, contractors etc and it's just planning to be granted or is it trusting and buying into what the owner says?

I'd love to see it built, but until there is something going up on site, I'd be sceptical. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Genuine question, but what gives the Dundee fans such confidence thst this will actually get built? It's been mooted for years and still not a spade in the ground. Not close enough to the ins and outs, but is it that everything is in place re funding, contractors etc and it's just planning to be granted or is it trusting and buying into what the owner says?

I'd love to see it built, but until there is something going up on site, I'd be sceptical. 

I don't think people realise how long it takes to get these type of projects out of the ground. I've had ones half the size of this that take longer to come to realisation. Given that statutory approvals also seem to take far longer to get given nowadays as pretty much all local authorities like to drag their heels, it comes as no surprise to me that it's taken this long. 'Mooted for years' isn't a barometer for whether something will get built or not. In my experience it is actually the opposite, projects that take this long are usually the ones that happen - good things come to those that wait and all that. 

I don't claim to have any knowledge of how it will be funded but what I can say, because Nelms has made it public knowledge, is that affordability isn't based on the club whatsoever.

The most frustrating thing for me as a Dundee fan is that Nelms probably  keeps setting unrealistic targets which people with no affiliation to the club hangs their hat on. It then becomes a stick to beat us with. 'HE SAID IT SHOULD BE BUILT BY NOW, IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN'.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

1995     "the club are scheduled to move in October/November with an initial capacity for 4,000 spectators"
1996     West + East sides open; North end under construction; capacity = 4,000
1997     North end open; capacity = 6,100
1999     (capacity = 6,015)
2000     South end, north-east and south-east corners open; capacity = 10,004

(all according to ground plans in Scottish League Review published each autumn)

I bet it’s not really 10,004, that was just stated to comply with top league rules at the time.

Seems bizarre that the two side stands combined were 4000 but the rest of the ground is 6000!

I’ve got a spare power drill. If we all start just removing screws and bolts on each visit to Tannadice it won’t be long before they’re at the door begging. 
Last one out turn on the taps. 

6 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

You are forgetting that was down to the poor drainage on Dens Road. All the Dees told us at the time.

People are very quick to forget tannadice flooding around 12 years ago , all the mems at the time , someone on United mad claimed it was because Tannadice was below sea level fecken eejit 

IMG_1285.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

People are very quick to forget tannadice flooding around 12 years ago , all the mems at the time , someone on United mad claimed it was because Tannadice was below sea level fecken eejit 

IMG_1285.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

What were you doing on United mad?

2 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

What were you doing on United mad?

Having a laugh at the fella who claimed it was below sea level , United took a power of slagging over it but only Dundee gets fined for things like this 

On 24/08/2024 at 09:02, jamamafegan said:

Sorry but…the interior design is basic AF. It just looks like a new McDiarmid Park / St Mirren Park. I find the lack of imagination disappointing, could some corners not have been filled in with seats? The stands could also be steeper like a mini Tynecastle. It’s just 4 single tier stands, really boring. The rest of the stuff, the outside areas and hospitality, looks excellent though. 

The stands look pretty steep on the images I saw

Interior design is cheap, quick and doesn't need to be drawn up in detail at this stage I wouldn't worry about  the CGI renders looking generic as they're essentially quick sketches of "the kind of thing you could do" with the space that's created. The main stand at Tynecastle was built with more interior space than they initially knew what to do with and eventually some of it became the Tynecastle Park Hotel

If you're only going to have 12,500 seats then there's really no reason to have two tiers, There would only be about 10 rows at each level. Opting for tiers begins to make some sense at the 20,000 seat scale and if you're building something significantly bigger then not having tiered seating is a strange move. Which is why Tynecastle feels like a giant small ground and Easter Road feels like a miniature big ground.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Seems bizarre that the two side stands combined were 4000 but the rest of the ground is 6000!

The South East and North East Corners were part of the last stage which suggests that the initial version of the East Stand was probably going to be about 50 m long

Which would have made it a spiritual replacement for the Derry

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I bet it’s not really 10,004, that was just stated to comply with top league rules at the time.

Each side holds just under 3k and each end just under 2k; suspect any 4k initial capacity was for certification/access/etc.

It's only 9,700 these days.

Several clubs rebuilt exactly to 10k footprint:

Broadwood     8,005     (with 1 end unbuilt)
Excelsior     10,170
Stark's Park     10,105
etc.

If the stadium is built I wouldn’t be opposed to the stadium capacity being set at around the 10,000 mark.  Clearly there would be disadvantages with a lesser capacity.  The advantages of a capacity around 10,000 would be.

1) Possibly most important of all, less crowd = less traffic.  Perhaps that would assist in the planning application.

2) Smaller stadium = reduced cost to build (no idea how much cheaper it would be building a 10,000 seater stadium than a 14,000 seater stadium).

3) No guarantee of tickets for bigger games if smaller capacity which would perhaps make season tickets more desirable.

4) Better atmosphere when the ground is nearer capacity, rather than numerous empty seats.

5) Less seats in the away end which would hopefully mean less old firm fans.  To show that we are genuinely neighbourly we should ensure there were at least 1,940 seats for the away fans.  That would be sufficient for all the United fans that stand by their team.

Edited by Shadow Play