EPL 2022/23

In the first half of Brighton v Liverpool, “Trent” (© Steve McManaman and Jamie Carragher) was flagged offside while running towards the ball but didn’t touch it. Pretty much the same as Rashford, except the ball was heading out for a Liverpool throw rather than ending up in the net.

You see it all the time, attackers being correctly flagged before even touching the ball because nobody can seriously argue that someone running towards a ball with defenders near them isn’t “interfering with play”.

Anyway, Peter Walton said the initial flag was wrong, which almost certainly means it was right. 

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure any of Rashford's opponents were interfered with/impacted enough...

If you watch Walker, he runs towards goal to block Rashford's potential shot rather than getting close to Fernandes. That is surely impacting a defender.

If Rashford stopped his run at any point then it would rightfully be onside, but he only pulls up when he thinks Fernandes is better positioned.

I don't care about the Premier League and Carabao Cup. We cannot win. We won [them] a lot. It's not a problem. The problem is we perform like we have done. Always we focus on that. So, Carabao Cup we are out. It doesn't matter. We perform how we perform, we are how we are. Today, we performed. And after we win, we win at another club

Pep 😆

Just now, Bairnardo said:

It's the people who want it to not be offside that concern me more. 

No one thinks it isn't...... Surely

Shite laws/ ref instructions unfortunately,  it’s got to be given in current circumstances.

personally I think anyone within at a meter(at min) of the ball when being offside should result it it being called.

27 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've just seen the Rashford offside. If you think that isn't offside you button up the back.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks it shouldn't be.

The offside rule needs looked at with VAR being used at the highest levels now. Forwards used to get the benefit of the doubt. I'd change it to your onside if any part of your body is level with the defender.