There was a coo

4 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

I don’t think that was all, I am sure the money was also used to cover some of the matchday referee/lino costs, unless I am misremembering (which is always possible at my age).

The clubs pay the officials.

7 hours ago, PELE said:

They could have 2 up and 2 down, making it easier and less desperate and possibly (maybe not) lessen the likelihood of a team chucking silly money at it. However, the big problem is the set-up below League 2. A lot of the teams would not want to be in the Highland League and (if you believe the regular rumours) a lot of the Highland League teams do not want promotion.

It’s quoted that Buckie are among the Highland league teams with an aversion to promotion? If thats the case and their “ performance “ in the play offs reflect that fact, questions need to be asked ( I’m trying to be careful on my use of words here )

28 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

It’s quoted that Buckie are among the Highland league teams with an aversion to promotion? If thats the case and their “ performance “ in the play offs reflect that fact, questions need to be asked ( I’m trying to be careful on my use of words here )

People still say Brora didn't want promotion in 2015.

Won their semi-final

Won the 1st leg of the final

Go down 1-0 at half-time in the 2nd leg, tying it up 1-1. Minutes into the 2nd half they score to take the lead again. Get a player sent off for a 2nd yellow and eventually lose out.

Can only assume somebody made a fortune at the bookies for the amount of effort they put in.

You know reading the replies, and apologies to the coos for hijacking your thread, there needs to be a full and proper pyramid review.

Just a few thoughts; Tiers 5 and below were basically tagged on below Tier 4 without any real thought.

Like you coos have said the change from a 10 team 36 game campaign to 16 team 30 game system has massive financial imitations on the clubs, so is it too big a change from Tier 4 to 5.

The SPFL is set up for 42 clubs; there are now 32 'extra clubs' who at the very least have an interest in what is happening I the SPFL.

It's almost like we need something like a pyramid review/working group, monitoring all of the pyramid and taking note of the effect it has on the clubs who move between Tiers 4 and 5.

When was the last time the SPFL leagues had a review? 

Pre-pyramid?

This is what I mean by amateurish by the SFA and SPFL.

What other business does not have constant and continual reviewing of its setup and processes?

They appear to treat clubs like an inconvenience at times, the clubs are the core of the business.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

If you believe the rumours, then Buckie seems keen to go up this time.

There is no TV deal so no cash from that.  The B teams money is roughly two thirds to the clubs and one third to the league.  The league then meets its running costs, pays for footballs for the clubs, pays for the indemnity insurances required by the clubs, pays half the match officials expenses (not fees) from their share 

3 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

There is no TV deal so no cash from that.  The B teams money is roughly two thirds to the clubs and one third to the league.  The league then meets its running costs, pays for footballs for the clubs, pays for the indemnity insurances required by the clubs, pays half the match officials expenses (not fees) from their share 

I think the mention of a TV deal was just a joke about the original proposal about B team benefits back in 2021.

image.png.3b4d8cb84bc14ffabcf205d2bf1aefa7.png

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think the mention of a TV deal was just a joke about the original proposal about B team benefits back in 2021.

image.png.3b4d8cb84bc14ffabcf205d2bf1aefa7.png

Yes I know but then folk started talking about how the money was used 

9 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

People still say Brora didn't want promotion in 2015.

Won their semi-final

Won the 1st leg of the final

Go down 1-0 at half-time in the 2nd leg, tying it up 1-1. Minutes into the 2nd half they score to take the lead again. Get a player sent off for a 2nd yellow and eventually lose out.

Can only assume somebody made a fortune at the bookies for the amount of effort they put in.

Our defeat at North End last week got some conspiracy nutters going, saying it was "proof" that we didn't really want to get promoted to the Highland League. Obviously they conveniently ignored the fact that just a few days prior our team worked their socks off to come back from 2-0 down against East Craigie to win 3-2. Why would they do that if they didn't want to go up? 🤔

4 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Bryan Gilfillan stepping down as Gretna manager once they have completed their last few fixtures. Seemed to be very well thought of going by the comments on Facebook. 🤔

former player, would make sense. tick a few boxes anyway.

5 hours ago, Only coo in the village said:

He would definitely tick the yet another shite managerial appointment box for Cowden. 

How can you judge that he would be a crap appointment?

Because he’s near the bottom of a league the club have struggled in for years doesn’t really mean all that much. Not sure magic Mick or Pep could get much more out the players at his disposal.

From what I could gather on Facebook and some of the fans comments, he seems to be trying to build foundations for the future.  Most fanbases would either be pleased or not bothered about a manger leaving in the position Gretna have finished, but the fans seem really disappointed.

Edited by Cowdenleith

15 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Because he’s near the bottom of a league the club have struggled in for years doesn’t really mean all that much. Not sure magic Mick or Pep could get much more out the players at his disposal.

From what I could gather on Facebook and some of the fans comments, he seems to be trying to build foundations for the future.  Most fanbases would either be pleased or not bothered about a manger leaving in the position Gretna have finished, but the fans seem really disappointed.

The very fact the man stuck with it until safety ( as now is ) was secured says a lot IMO. Many would have ran at Xmas say, it must have been a long hard sore season to bear agian.

Was one of the lucky few who was at the Aberdeen recording of A View from the Terrace last night. Was stunned to see another fella in a Cowdenbeath top. Anybody who posts on here? 

18 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

I remember him being a very reasonable central defender back in the day for Cowden. Think he might have emigrated to Australia in the past?
Doesn’t seem particularly well qualified or experienced in my opinion but this is Cowden, who knows. 

On 27/04/2024 at 01:49, Only coo in the village said:

I remember him being a very reasonable central defender back in the day for Cowden. Think he might have emigrated to Australia in the past?
Doesn’t seem particularly well qualified or experienced in my opinion but this is Cowden, who knows. 

Remember a chap called Mixu? Be did OK.

4 hours ago, Aberdeen Cooden said:

Remember a chap called Mixu? Be did OK.

Hmmmm!  Not sure that there is much of a comparison there to be honest. They played at very different levels of the game and had experiences of very different managerial role models. 

I wish whoever gets the managers job all the best. No parachute money left, same bills to pay. It’s a huge challenge.