The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

A few years ago I attended a members meeting at which the club president (at that time) presented a a well reasoned statement against the inclusion of B teams in the league set up. 

It would appear that the current decision makers may be looking to take the club in another direction. 

A lot has changed since then and I'm not sure what the potential benefits might be now for the club having a B team in a conference league.

I understand that the committee doesn't need to ' run this by ' us before coming to a decision but I feel that it could be beneficial from a P.R perspective to at least indicate what the club would potentially gain.

21 hours ago, an86 said:

I’d like to point out one member led organisation,The Well Society, the majority shareholders of Motherwell Football Club 

I’d now like to draw your attention to the official response of member driven organisation, Queen’s Park Football Club.

7B0DBA8E-DE19-49F4-A806-4470C5B4A29B.thumb.jpeg.4b151963893e380ff8a2f3eae656e53f.jpeg

This is how our football club values the opinions of the supporters. Compare and contrast. I know members of the management team and committee read this forum. I hope you’re suitably embarrassed. 

What an excellent way to build up the fan base! Wow... Just wow... That tone... Those short sentences hammering "facts" on the responsibilities of the committee... That misplaced pride in "corporate governance"... 

I honestly don't have an opinion on the whole conference league thing but this level of contempt for those who do... I mean, I'm speechless. 

21 hours ago, an86 said:

I’d like to point out one member led organisation,The Well Society, the majority shareholders of Motherwell Football Club 

I’d now like to draw your attention to the official response of member driven organisation, Queen’s Park Football Club.

7B0DBA8E-DE19-49F4-A806-4470C5B4A29B.thumb.jpeg.4b151963893e380ff8a2f3eae656e53f.jpeg

This is how our football club values the opinions of the supporters. Compare and contrast. I know members of the management team and committee read this forum. I hope you’re suitably embarrassed. 

Leaving themselves open to legal action. In what way is the stadium farce "taking decisions in the best interests of the Club"?

23 minutes ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

A few years ago I attended a members meeting at which the club president (at that time) presented a a well reasoned statement against the inclusion of B teams in the league set up. 

It would appear that the current decision makers may be looking to take the club in another direction. 

A lot has changed since then and I'm not sure what the potential benefits might be now for the club having a B team in a conference league.

I understand that the committee doesn't need to ' run this by ' us before coming to a decision but I feel that it could be beneficial from a P.R perspective to at least indicate what the club would potentially gain.

The benefits are that our young players get to play against, what in theory at least, is a higher standard of opposition which aids there development.

Sadly as the "best" reserve/B teams in the country (I.e. the old firm) refuse to be part of the current reserve league, and are pushing for inclusion in the pyramid, if we want to play against them competitively then we would also need to join them in the conference league.

I am absolutely against B teams in the pyramid, and the problem wouldn't exist if all teams agreed to be part of a reserve league, however  as that looks unlikley, I do understand why Beuker would be keen for our inclusion in the Conference League.

A lot of the opposition to this from most people in Scottish football is, quite rightly, because no one else feels they should have to do things just to suit the old firm and how they want to develop their young players.

I would assume that Bueker, not being from Scotland and therefore not being so bothered/aware of the Old Firm stranglehold, and coming from a country where B teams in the 2nd tier is the norm, doesn't see any of that as a problem as long as it improves QP.

The reality is that Bueker and Dempster are employed to do the best thing for QP going forward, not for Scottish football. You could make a reasonable argument that in this instance, they are doing their job by trying to create the best opportunities for our young players to develop.

Most of us as fans, despite obviously supporting our own clubs, have a wider view where we still want the best for Scottish football as a whole, but that doesn't seem to fit with the clubs goals going forward.

I'm pretty skeptical about the article that was published about our alleged interest in the Conference League, to be honest.

The timing was very convenient given Aberdeen had just that day pulled out, and we're an easy target for this sort of thing now with all the stuff people are writing about our plans for youth development and the future. I wouldn't be shocked if it had all been made up by a journalist for clicks, and if that's the case then it worked.

Even if you don't mind the idea of B teams being in the pyramid (I do, for what it's worth), this is an objectively bad proposal and there are so many better ways of fixing the system. I'd like to think Beuker would recognise that.

None of this excuses the tone of the email which was shared on here, of course. Some of these volunteers clearly think they're more important than the rest of us, and their attitude stinks.

Either way, it'd be good to hear from the club on this so we can all stop speculating and move on to the things that really matter.

Edited by Zanetti

56 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

The benefits are that our young players get to play against, what in theory at least, is a higher standard of opposition which aids there development.

Sadly as the "best" reserve/B teams in the country (I.e. the old firm) refuse to be part of the current reserve league, and are pushing for inclusion in the pyramid, if we want to play against them competitively then we would also need to join them in the conference league.

I am absolutely against B teams in the pyramid, and the problem wouldn't exist if all teams agreed to be part of a reserve league, however  as that looks unlikley, I do understand why Beuker would be keen for our inclusion in the Conference League.

A lot of the opposition to this from most people in Scottish football is, quite rightly, because no one else feels they should have to do things just to suit the old firm and how they want to develop their young players.

I would assume that Bueker, not being from Scotland and therefore not being so bothered/aware of the Old Firm stranglehold, and coming from a country where B teams in the 2nd tier is the norm, doesn't see any of that as a problem as long as it improves QP.

The reality is that Bueker and Dempster are employed to do the best thing for QP going forward, not for Scottish football. You could make a reasonable argument that in this instance, they are doing their job by trying to create the best opportunities for our young players to develop.

Most of us as fans, despite obviously supporting our own clubs, have a wider view where we still want the best for Scottish football as a whole, but that doesn't seem to fit with the clubs goals going forward.

I haven't seen or heard any details about this. It'd be good to see some meat on the bones of the proposal. For starters, I'd be interested to know if the  conference league would really form part of the pyramid. If so, which teams could be promoted/relegated and whether the B squad players would be confined to the B squad for the duration of a season?

35 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I'm pretty skeptical about the article that was published about our alleged interest in the Conference League, to be honest.

The timing was very convenient given Aberdeen had just that day pulled out, and we're an easy target for this sort of thing now with all the stuff people are writing about our plans for youth development and the future. I wouldn't be shocked if it had all been made up by a journalist for clicks, and if that's the case then it worked.

Even if you don't mind the idea of B teams being in the pyramid (I do, for what it's worth), this is an objectively bad proposal and there are so many better ways of fixing the system. I'd like to think Beuker would recognise that.

None of this excuses the tone of the email which was shared on here, of course. Some of these volunteers clearly think they're more important than the rest of us, and their attitude stinks.

Either way, it'd be good to hear from the club on this so we can all stop speculating and move on to the things that really matter.

My reading of the email shared here was that they had already made their mind up and it confirmed the rumour was true.

If they were against B teams then I would have expected the tone of that email to be very different.

I hope your right though.

21 minutes ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

I haven't seen or heard any details about this. It'd be good to see some meat on the bones of the proposal. For starters, I'd be interested to know if the  conference league would really form part of the pyramid. If so, which teams could be promoted/relegated and whether the B squad players would be confined to the B squad for the duration of a season?

I saw the proposal, or at least part of it, posted either on here or on twitter somewhere, but I can't remember where to link to it. (I realise that's not very helpful, sorry)

It has been sent to all the clubs to look over it prior to a vote next month.

I'm sure it included mentions of promotion and relegation to/from both League 2 and the HL/LL. From memory the B teams can't go up or down. The winner (or highest placed non b team) plays off with 10th in League 2. Bottom get relegated and replaced by winner of HL/LL playoff. 2nd bottom plays off against the loser of HL/LL playoff. I think I'm remembering that correctly, but someone who knows more about it may correct me.

Edited by Ben Reilly

9 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

My reading of the email shared here was that they had already made their mind up and it confirmed the rumour was true.

If they were against B teams then I would have expected the tone of that email to be very different.

I hope your right though.

I read it more as "we'll decide, because we know better" rather than confirmation that we do want to be involved, but I suppose we'll find out soon. I hope I'm right as well!

2 hours ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

I saw the proposal, or at least part of it, posted either on here or on twitter somewhere, but I can't remember where to link to it. (I realise that's not very helpful, sorry)

It has been sent to all the clubs to look over it prior to a vote next month.

I'm sure it included mentions of promotion and relegation to/from both League 2 and the HL/LL. From memory the B teams can't go up or down. The winner (or highest placed non b team) plays off with 10th in League 2. Bottom get relegated and replaced by winner of HL/LL playoff. 2nd bottom plays off against the loser of HL/LL playoff. I think I'm remembering that correctly, but someone who knows more about it may correct me.

Here’s the tweet that flagged our supposed interest…

…and this link has the background on the SFA proposal and answers the questions…

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23486046.new-conference-league-including-celtic-rangers-colts---explained/

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

16 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Beale reported as preferring no age limit reserve league. There is nothing new in this game. 

If bigger clubs were truly interested in developing players, they’d play them. Talk up the idea of quotas within starting XI’s or first team squads and it’ll be scoffed at because of perceived detriment. The detriment to smaller clubs who are going to be queue jumped doesn’t matter, of course. They should simply feel privileged to be recognised by such giants. That’s honestly how they see it. 

25 minutes ago, PeterParker said:

Found this which is more from Stephen McGowan in yesterday's paper about B teams. It includes a bit about QP, will let you make your own mind up about it.

20230521_104423.jpg

Savage fans? Quite chuffed with that🤣

I think it’s been covered. Fans against it. Beuker for it. If he has the power to have Coyle shoved off the back of the bus, backed up by the Club’s get-back-in-your-box statement to a fan’s legitimate enquiry, it looks a certainty to happen if Big Jock is prepared to bankroll it. And it also brings us that wee bit closer to the SFA again, doesn’t it. 

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Alan Nixon the Sun journalist reporting Forest Green are interested in Jack Thomson.

Under contract until 2025, let's see if they can afford him.

55 days till the League Cup starts.

Still need to finish whatever the hell it is they are still building at Lesser, successfully organise two test events, pass the license inspection, organise match day logistics, hire & train staff and organise & distribute tickets……. 

Edited by Spider Rico

9 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

55 days till the League Cup starts.

Still need to finish whatever the hell it is they are still building at Lesser, successfully organise two test events, pass the license inspection, organise match day logistics, hire & train staff and organise & distribute tickets……. 

The club will look at any logistical issues and act accordingly. They are not here to answer your perfectly legitimate questions and concerns. This is sound corporate governance.