The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

On 16/05/2023 at 08:34, Spider1975 said:

That is very much is the plan long-term though and I'm sure before his injury the rumoured sale of Grant Savoury would have been manifestation of that.  It's why they've spent money hiring Martin Beuker from AZ; it's why the academy are now holders of CAS Elite status and it's why there seem to be almost constant adverts for coaching staff at all levels.  There is more to building a club from ground up than just the literal version of that.  Time will tell whether this money spent on the youth and analytics set up have been worth it.

QP fans who aren't concerned/embarrassed/angry about the continued Lesser debacle will number similarly to Hen's teeth, but I'm sure you'll understand that for all the faults regarding its construction a 'stadium' is not just 'a stand'.  

OK so I'm wrong they have moved the pit h a little. But the first phase is one stand and changing rooms. It literally is one stand. 

23 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

OK so I'm wrong they have moved the pit h a little. But the first phase is one stand and changing rooms. It literally is one stand. 

“Stand” is, perhaps, too grand a description. “A few rows of seats” might be more accurate. The trick would have been to  create more capacity on the other 3 sides of the ground. But the Roman Emperors Box got in the way.

Squad update now up. No surprises with most of those gone. Kilday and Davidson the only ones you could really debate with and ultimately I’m sad to see Davidson go. Thought he had kicked on a lot this season but it was clear he was never truly favoured at any point. We tried 4 or 5 right back to replace him. He’ll do well wherever he goes. Kilday been around since the league 2 days and by far and away this season was his best. Think injuries were creeping on him at the end of the season again which may have cost him a contract

Longridge being offered another deal is….surprising if not bizarre unless there’s a coaching role involved somewhere 

22 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Squad update now up. No surprises with most of those gone. Kilday and Davidson the only ones you could really debate with and ultimately I’m sad to see Davidson go. Thought he had kicked on a lot this season but it was clear he was never truly favoured at any point. We tried 4 or 5 right back to replace him. He’ll do well wherever he goes. Kilday been around since the league 2 days and by far and away this season was his best. Think injuries were creeping on him at the end of the season again which may have cost him a contract

Longridge being offered another deal is….surprising if not bizarre unless there’s a coaching role involved somewhere 

The coaching role was mentioned last summer. Charlie Fox offered new contract? Guess that means he didn’t have anything solid lined up. At least we have a decent rump this year. Come back Mal!

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The coaching role was mentioned last summer. Charlie Fox offered new contract? Guess that means he didn’t have anything solid lined up. At least we have a decent rump this year. Come back Mal!

Indeed come back Mal!

8 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

No huge surprises other than Charlie Fox being offered terms. Thought he was a certainty to be away. Fingers crossed. I would have thought Davidson was worth a place as a squad player at least. 

Agree with all this. 

8 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

No huge surprises other than Charlie Fox being offered terms. Thought he was a certainty to be away. Fingers crossed. I would have thought Davidson was worth a place as a squad player at least. 

Maybe Jake’s got himself something more steady. He’ll improve even more with a regular position. Defence is not his natural strength. Hope it works out for him.

It took me a few looks to really get to grips with who's going and who's staying. 

Saw Kilday sat in the stand for the second half of the PT game at Ochilview and he looked like someone who knew his time was up - a shame to go out in that manner, but I'm sure he'll be picked up elsewhere.  

Jake Davidson shouldn't be a surprise given his lack of starts (either in midfield or at RB), even when Oakley had illness/niggles/whatever-else, but personally I thought he deserved better, obviously MB's big stats machine has stated otherwise.  He'll do well and wish him all the best.

Re-reading the tweet, I'm not sure Fox will be a bolt-on to stay, it just mentions he's been offered terms but doesn't state whether they've been accepted, (was Murray not similarly offered an extension?); I think there's a lot more to come from him, (appreciate I might be in the minority here), but do hope he stays.

Big Mal is going to be a huge miss next year and whomever replaces OC, (the announcement of which I hope is sooner rather than later), is going to have some work to do, by my reckoning we need at least;

A centre-back,

A Right back, (or two)

A CDM

Cover for Grant Savoury

A striker

Have I missed anything?

20 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

It took me a few looks to really get to grips with who's going and who's staying. 

Saw Kilday sat in the stand for the second half of the PT game at Ochilview and he looked like someone who knew his time was up - a shame to go out in that manner, but I'm sure he'll be picked up elsewhere.  

Jake Davidson shouldn't be a surprise given his lack of starts (either in midfield or at RB), even when Oakley had illness/niggles/whatever-else, but personally I thought he deserved better, obviously MB's big stats machine has stated otherwise.  He'll do well and wish him all the best.

Re-reading the tweet, I'm not sure Fox will be a bolt-on to stay, it just mentions he's been offered terms but doesn't state whether they've been accepted, (was Murray not similarly offered an extension?); I think there's a lot more to come from him, (appreciate I might be in the minority here), but do hope he stays.

Big Mal is going to be a huge miss next year and whomever replaces OC, (the announcement of which I hope is sooner rather than later), is going to have some work to do, by my reckoning we need at least;

A centre-back,

A Right back, (or two)

A CDM

Cover for Grant Savoury

A striker

Have I missed anything?

make that 2 strikers (at least)

I think we need another left back too. I like Robson, but our only cover (and his only competition) is a 17 year old with very little game time.

Robson started almost every game this season (and last) but if he had gotten injured it would have been a big concern.

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Noticed a few weeks back that when Longridge signed his extension last year it included an option for a further year. Not certain but assume that is sonething he initiates. 

Edited by mcjameos

Realistically I’m looking at this as positions needed for the first 11 

GK: Ferrie 

RB: ?

CB: ?

LB: Robson 

CM: ?   

CM: Thomson

AM: ? 

RW: Thomas 

LW: ? 

ST: ? 

Subs: Jarrett, Williamson, Bannon, Healy, Eze, Heraghty, Brown 

Can see Eze (especially with Coyle away) and Brown leaving this summer also. Savoury basically a man down for the season also. Yikes we need some good signings 

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

A centre-back,

A Right back, (or two)

A CDM

Cover for Grant Savoury

A striker

Have I missed anything?

At least two left wingers to fill the giant McPake+Henderson shaped hole. 

If we were still in League 1, I wouldn't mind a young and inexperienced "home-grown" team but to establish ourselves as a championship side, we need a good mixture of both young and experienced players next season. I think the next season's championship promises to be as exciting and unpredictable as it has been this season so building a competitive squad without breaking the bank is entirely possible. 

12 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Realistically I’m looking at this as positions needed for the first 11 

GK: Ferrie 

RB: ?

LB: Robson 

CM: ?   

CM: Thomson

AM: ? 

RW: Thomas 

LW: ? 

ST: ? 

Subs: Jarrett, Williamson, Bannon, Healy, Eze, Heraghty, Brown 

Can see Eze (especially with Coyle away) and Brown leaving this summer also. Savoury basically a man down for the season also. Yikes we need some good signings 

If he can get a decent pre-season in, I'd like to see Liam Brown get a chance to re-establish a place in the team.

Also think Louis Longridge still has plenty to offer now he's over that long Covid.