The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

For me honestly, big concern right now. Down to Haughey/Dempster/board to replace MB with someone with equal ambitions in terms of long term success. Or else I fear when he decides he's bored of bankrolling us he fucks off and it's back to being games away from falling out the professional league before we can blink. 

I think MB leaving so soon has come for multiple reasons. Number 1 obviously beging it's Ajax . But if we look at the dribs and drabs of information we get in this thread. 

Training facilities at lochinch being the same as when thistle women used it.  That to me is a red flag. You've brought this guy in to create a revolutionary Scottish academy and the training facility isn't fit for purpose 2 years after the appointment. 

Just makes me wonder if there's been an element of frustration, and he (like a lot of us) feels he was sold a bit of a dream that will always be slightly out of reach.  

17 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I recall that when Beuker was doing his wee stint as first team coach his post-match interviews were even more blunt than Veldman’s so maybe it’s a Dutch thing. Students of any language will understand you can learn vocabulary and grammar but interpretation is a different skill level gained only by experience.

Further to my comment on expectations of what calibre young (in Dutch, Jong) players we have recruited, here’s a clip of a recent game involving Jong AZ. They play in the Dutch second division (of two). The first division has 18 teams, the second has 20. Jong AZ are currently 8th in the second giving them the position of 26th out of 38. As a rough comparator to Scotland that would be top/mid league one. 

But this is AZ’s young team, equivalent to YQP. AZ first team currently sit 3rd in the first division. If we consider how far behind our Young team are compared to the B teams of Rangers, Celtic & Hearts in the Lowland league, and the distance in league placing between those three teams and 8th in the Championship there’s a huge gulf between our first team and the Young team. Arguably, none of those youngsters, perhaps one or two at the most, should be playing in the Championship. 

To sense-check this, I virtually flew to Belgium where Veldman’s last role was as coach of the young team at Anderlecht, called the Futures. They too play in their senior second division (both leagues have 16) and are currently 7th, or 23rd of 32. Similar then to Jong AZ.

Despite all of Beuker’s statistical skills he’s either completely missed the fact that Scotland isn’t in the Benelux region or simply took a punt at an opportunity that was never realistic. One day yes, maybe, but unless you’re incredibly rich and can afford to wait, life’s distractions, such as how to pay the bills, will always get in the way. The future of this programme is entirely dependent on Haughey now. Twist or stick. Our club, our committee neither have the money, nor the will, nor the talent off the pitch to sustain this.

The earlier comment about Beuker leaving because of the lack of ambition in the boardroom is entirely believable. Let’s not forget the original objectives of the committee, who’s current make-up is largely as it was in 2019….avoid the trapdoor, stabilise in the upper first division. Anything above that came from other sources.

I liked the post and enjoyed the video more. If we played with the same speed of movement as Jong AZ did we would be a lot more threatening, more exciting and more entertaining to watch. We have skilled players but need to move the ball forward quicker. This slow mo possession football is not working.  Opponents all get back into shape then intercept and counter attack. Madness is repeating the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.  We are better than this Mr Veldman. We are better than this Queens Park players 

1 hour ago, Byekick said:

Is it possible — especially if results don't turn very soon — that the club appoint Veldman in Beuker's place as director of football (background in academies, continuity candidate etc.) and hire a new head coach?

You don't want me to answer that. And I made a promise to @TheHitman🤣

Good to know that the academy is still the future - will be really interested to see what route we go down. Will it be a more traditional face or back into the world  of wacky continentals? The role is massively more attractive than it was 2 years ago. I'm hoping there will be a high calibre in the mix. 

Must be viewed as an opportunity to reset a wee bit. If the new face is a bit less militant we might event get a centre half who's over 25 for Christmas.. 

2 hours ago, Byekick said:

Is it possible — especially if results don't turn very soon — that the club appoint Veldman in Beuker's place as director of football (background in academies, continuity candidate etc.) and hire a new head coach?

Excerpt from an interview last June in The Herald, full story in link below. This is an example of how clumsy his English is. This is just a stepping stone for him, something for the CV. It’s a project for his improvement. I don’t believe for a second Beuker was coming here for 10 years, just a gap filler until Ajax were ready. Makes his move from AZ to Ajax more acceptable. Alkmaar is just a commuter train ride away from Amsterdam.

So why do we open our arms to interlopers so willingly? Because the person who employed them is one herself. As long as she’s making decisions, short-term gain will be the order of the day.

image.thumb.png.b3e07328e8347f221a074d4373fe013d.png

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23617983.robin-veldman-ajax-anderlecht-queens-park/

16 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

It's not only Beuker that left because of the committee's lack of ambition, but I'd put Owen Coyle in that category too.

This sums up our club's failings off the park. It's simply down to an amateur committee.

Fans on here quite rightly express their opinions on Queens seriously aspiring to get to the Premiership, that's never been my own belief. As BYOS says above , the objective of not only the committee but also of Haughey, was to avoid the trap door and stabilise in the upper first division. Owen Coyle created a "meltdown" in the committee's plans by showing how good management could allow us to dream beyond their abilities to rebuild Lesser.

In all the talk of compensation for Beuker going, I would imagine the committee's main plan now is to erect a covered walkway from the Club offices direct to their "Vanity Bunker" so that their blazers don't get wet.

As for the rest of us............well we all know what they think of those outside their own inner circle.

Coyle never left through his own choice, he was initially hired because he knew Haughey so wasn't an anti-board person at all. 

He wasn't going to be committed to developing youth players and the programme over the next few years and he made that clear and it was decided it was best that he goes for those reasons. 

50 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Excerpt from an interview last June in The Herald, full story in link below. This is an example of how clumsy his English is. This is just a stepping stone for him, something for the CV. It’s a project for his improvement. I don’t believe for a second Beuker was coming here for 10 years, just a gap filler until Ajax were ready. Makes his move from AZ to Ajax more acceptable. Alkmaar is just a commuter train ride away from Amsterdam.

So why do we open our arms to interlopers so willingly? Because the person who employed them is one herself. As long as she’s making decisions, short-term gain will be the order of the day.

image.thumb.png.b3e07328e8347f221a074d4373fe013d.png

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23617983.robin-veldman-ajax-anderlecht-queens-park/

I think there's plenty of things that people can critique and complain about, but taking the piss out of someone who learned English as a second language and still speaks it very well is ridiculous. 

Surely we have a replacement, or at least a final shortlist lined up by now? The club has known for weeks/months that he was going. To expect any communication from the club is fanciful so we will have to live like mushrooms until there is an outcome. I wonder if anyone has told Dempster he has gone. She appears to take no interest in our club.

12 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

An Airdrie fan unironically crowdwanking is amazing.

Let's all settle down FFS,   Falkirk have the patent on crowdwanking, we surely don't need them on this thread as well..  we are enjoying a year away from those tedious c***s. 

3 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Surely we have a replacement, or at least a final shortlist lined up by now? The club has known for weeks/months that he was going. To expect any communication from the club is fanciful so we will have to live like mushrooms until there is an outcome. I wonder if anyone has told Dempster he has gone. She appears to take no interest in our club.

It would be ridiculous to think the time’s been spent just thinking about how much money they’ll get 😊

There will be sleepless nights now for some involved. The President has done his maximum term and nominations were invited on the 3rd of October and submissions closed on 31st October for his replacement. I’m expecting another walkover and if rumours are true, the calamitous last 3 years will have been wonderful compared to what’s coming. How any of these administrators are going to find a coach who can develop the Benelux model (adapted for Scotland) for the strategic aims whilst gently nursing youngsters into the first team for the tactical targets, all the while keeping the financial comings and goings tidy, will be a treat to see.

Perfect set of scenarios for a coup!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

On 29/11/2023 at 17:36, QP's in my DNA said:

In all the talk of compensation for Beuker going, I would imagine the committee's main plan now is to erect a covered walkway from the Club offices direct to their "Vanity Bunker" so that their blazers don't get wet.

No doubt it'll take 3 years to [partially]  build and be so over-budget that they'll need to increase the cost of the pies by 200% to cover the short-fall

On 29/11/2023 at 13:09, an86 said:
On 29/11/2023 at 13:09, an86 said:

You could swing it another way. Do you think they’d ever say no to Haughey or Dempster?

Was visiting my sister in Mt Flo yesterday and we walked up Letherby Drive past Lesser, and low and behold outside Lesser there was a silver car with the reg no WH7, the President's car and Ms Dempste'rs car parked outside. There was obviously a meeting going on. Were they deciding how to spend the compensation from Ajax?