The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Best performance from Queens I’ve seen in the short time i’ve been attending games. 
Granted its against a struggling Arbroath side but something I really noticed was how fluid QP were tactically.

The front 3 particularly constantly swapping positions had a great effect. I’m generally quite obsessed with formations etc but it looked more like a 3-4-3 than ever last night. The two full-backs at some points playing high up the park and other times lining up in a flat 5 at the back.

If this is what ‘Cal-ball’ (need to workshop this name) is then sign me up!

I'm obviously over the moon after last night's result but I don't think it could be used as a yardstick. Arbroath were absolutely tragic and they should be seen as an exception to the competition we have in the league. Any team that can't claim all three points from them (home/away) in the rest of the season should hang their heads in shame (including us in our next game against them). It's not like they had a really bad day, they just don't belong in the Championship this season. 

Saturday's game against Airdrie is a proper yardstick. I'd settle for a goalless draw but if we can claim all three points, we stay in this league. 

One other thing I've been telling myself since last night's game: Alex Bannon has turned out to be a class act. He is what they call "the best signing of the season" when one of your own players really steps up his game and earns a permanent spot in the starting eleven. He has the pedigree and the potential to become our very own bandiera. 

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I'm obviously over the moon after last night's result but I don't think it could be used as a yardstick. Arbroath were absolutely tragic and they should be seen as an exception to the competition we have in the league. Any team that can't claim all three points from them (home/away) in the rest of the season should hang their heads in shame (including us in our next game against them). It's not like they had a really bad day, they just don't belong in the Championship this season. 

Saturday's game against Airdrie is a proper yardstick. I'd settle for a goalless draw but if we can claim all three points, we stay in this league. 

I don’t know, Arbroath went and drew with Dunfermline and drew with Inverness where they had to score with the last kick of the ball for an equaliser prior to playing us. They’re clearly the worst team in the league but teams will still drop points against them. Last night was a combination of catching on us a great night and catching Arbroath on a horrific one. 

The body of work under Davidson since he’s joined is a measure already on how far we’ve come in a short space of time and the way he’s improved players like Bannon, Tizzard and even Paton looks more complete up top. We were comfortably the worst side in the league first half of the season and now we’re bizarrely 8 points behind 3rd (Aware that’s very ambitious but you can always dream) 

Cant express enough how class our recruitment has been. Welsh, Scott and Wilson particularly have been upgrades on anyone we had in their respective positions. 

19 goals now for Paton in all comps. Don’t think we’ve had a striker hit 20 since longworth back in 2012? 

Edited by qpfc

10 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Cillian Sheridan offering much more than I thought he had.  Works well as a striking pair with Paton.

Confidence returning throughout the team, but difficult to tell how good we were as Arbroath are in a really bad way.

Ditto

What did you think of Jack Thomson's performance in midfield in against Arbroath? I thought we didn't use him at all and through no fault of his own, the play almost passed him by. That makes me wonder if Davidson would use him at the back again against Airdrie. 

2 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

What did you think of Jack Thomson's performance in midfield in against Arbroath? I thought we didn't use him at all and through no fault of his own, the play almost passed him by. That makes me wonder if Davidson would use him at the back again against Airdrie. 

I thought he did the job he needed to do. It's important that if we are going to play with the set-up as it was against Arbroath that we have two sitting midfielders who can distribute the ball but also are able to provide defensive cover to the back 3 when the full backs push high up the park. Thomson and Welsh are perfect for that role.

I think what you may find is because Arbroath didn't have a forward line to speak of that the 3 at the back were able to deal with the attacking threat comfortably and the poor use of the ball from Arbroath's defenders meant that QP were able to cut out the passes higher up the park. I think against better opposition responsibility will fall on Thomson and Welsh in the holding role.

Just my thoughts but I think having them both there is absolutely spot on.

I see Savoury has got another injury issue according to Davidson’s interview. Hope it’s nothing long term but i very doubt we’ll see him play at all this season which is such a shame. Was the best attacking midfielder in the championship last season, hopefully he comes back to being the same player 

On 24/02/2024 at 12:13, wEEgIE bOrEd said:

Just heard that our esteemed ex-CEO is going to be on Off the Ball today...

Did they ask her any questions about the mess of the rebuild at Lessor and the Royal Box?

4 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Did they ask her any questions about the mess of the rebuild at Lessor and the Royal Box?

I did email in a question about that but it was not put to her and I didn't hear the stadium mentioned during the bits of the show I managed to catch.