The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

7 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Remind me again why did we let Jai Quitongo go? I'd rather have him in the team for one more season than the likes of McPake and Henderson. 

Quitongo would give you one game in ten when he’d look a world beater. He’d spend the other nine either failing to beat his man or hitting the final ball off him. 

11 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

If the league were to run for another, say five games. Neither us nor Dundee would be winning it. And one of us not even making the playoffs. strangely that gives me a bit of confidence for next week. 

If the league was run for another five games, then I doubt Raith would be alone in being the only team in the league with no skin in the game

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Quitongo would give you one game in ten when he’d look a world beater. He’d spend the other nine either failing to beat his man or hitting the final ball off him. 

Would guess neither him or Gillespie were happy at being released and are probably well fired up against us. 

3 hours ago, an86 said:

A hugely inconsistent player, but I'd certainly rather have Quitongo in our squad than McPake. Far more streetwise, far more of a nuisance to defend against.

Two defensive errors cost us ultimately. One was tolerable in that a young rookie got caught out by Scotland’s gold medalist in grass diving. We were happy when he did the same for us so no complaints.

Second goal was appalling. Savoury losing possession yet again, in a good forward position but the effort by Fox against Oakley was unbelievable. Had that been Eze he’d have been getting pelters. I said before the game just nail Oakley and what we have is our biggest centre half giving him a pass into space. Credit to Morton for finishing the move as they did but if Fox had kept his eyes open it would never have got that far. Awful defending.

Fair play to Ferrie for his defiant call-to-arms after the game but there is too many of these guys have already made their minds up. It’s the world’s greatest psychologist they need this week in training. When you hear that “we’d have given our right arm for this…” you know failure is acceptable. Second is just best of the rest. Forget everything else that’s happened. 90 minutes from winning the league. That’s all that needs considered.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

54 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It’s the world’s greatest psychologist they need this week in training.

Could we also add a proctologist to our very numerous backroom staff please? Possible case of gigantic arse collapse.

Or alternatively as bridgeofweirdo says (more or less) just get it together for 90 minutes.

90 minutes from glory - do it Queen's! Do it for all the fans who have never seen the side in the top league of Scottish football. There must be very few left who witnessed our last spell in the top tier.

Edited by Spidersmad

4 hours ago, an86 said:

That's three "world beater" games. Still a better performance than Henderson & McPake combined. 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders

When we signed Quitongo and Gillespie I was very sceptical as they were both released by QP and their injury records weren't the best. How wrong was I.  They've both had their momethis season amd spells out with injury but overall they've both been great additions to our squad.  Gillespie oozes class and does the simple things so well. Quitongo is just a nightmare to play against and a constant physical threat. Was interesting watching him and your number 66 have a good battle yesterday.

Edited by Mr.Blue

I've watched Queen's Park maybe seven times this season (four of them against us) and I want to say, before the title is decided one way or another next week, that it would be an absolutely extraordinary achievement to win this league with that back four.

Both full-backs are good going forward, but that relies on the team overall being confident and on the front foot; they look very easy to get at going the other way.

And there are (different) serious question marks about all of your options at centre-back.

All of this was on display again yesterday. Hard to see how it's magically fixed before Friday night... so all-out attack and hope Dundee cave surely has to be the gamble, no?

32 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

When we signed Quitongo and Gillespie I was very sceptical as they were both released by QP and their injury records weren't the best. How wrong was I.  They've both had their momethis season amd spells out with injury but overall they've both been great additions to our squad.  Gillespie oozes class and does the simple things so well. Quitongo is just a nightmare to play against and a constant physical threat. Was interesting watching him and your number 66 have a good battle yesterday.

Gillespie was really good for us in League Two, but a nightmare at times last season and one of the first players I wanted out as soon as it was over. His knack for giving the ball away under the slightest bit of pressure was almost impressive, and I was convinced he'd be disastrous in the Championship. Sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes though.

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

That's three "world beater" games. Still a better performance than Henderson & McPake combined. 

Debatable. McPake had a few stand out games against decent opposition. Quitongo could barely get off our bench in League One or League Two. Both have practically identical stats this season as well. The two of are extremely average players. Oakley’s lack of defensive ability did for us yesterday, rather than Quitongo’s quality. 

On 28/04/2023 at 13:40, Arachnophile said:

yeah - just got my tickets  - standing behind the goal at the opposite end from the Dundee fans 

You are joking surely. My understanding was that al QP fans would be in the stand.

7 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Two defensive errors cost us ultimately. One was tolerable in that a young rookie got caught out by Scotland’s gold medalist in grass diving. We were happy when he did the same for us so no complaints.

Second goal was appalling. Savoury losing possession yet again, in a good forward position but the effort by Fox against Oakley was unbelievable. Had that been Eze he’d have been getting pelters. I said before the game just nail Oakley and what we have is our biggest centre half giving him a pass into space. Credit to Morton for finishing the move as they did but if Fox had kept his eyes open it would never have got that far. Awful defending.

Fair play to Ferrie for his defiant call-to-arms after the game but there is too many of these guys have already made their minds up. It’s the world’s greatest psychologist they need this week in training. When you hear that “we’d have given our right arm for this…” you know failure is acceptable. Second is just best of the rest. Forget everything else that’s happened. 90 minutes from winning the league. That’s all that needs considered.

Agree re the dreadful performance from Charlie Fox. If he can’t get his focus back on us rather than wherever he has signed a pre contract with, then I’d rather he was no where near the team on Friday. Feels like he checked-out weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

You are joking surely. My understanding was that al QP fans would be in the stand.

The area behind the goal has been open for people to stand in a few time this season and had a specific cash gate at the Morton home game. Completely flat area so won’t be a great view if busy 

2 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Agree re the dreadful performance from Charlie Fox. If he can’t get his focus back on us rather than wherever he has signed a pre contract with, then I’d rather he was no where near the team on Friday. Feels like he checked-out weeks ago. 

Yes Bannon on at the back and Eze up front.