The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

On 10/05/2023 at 07:13, Hampden Diehard said:

The tactics are now to score three every week and hope the opposition don't.

It's all part of Dempster's grand plan; play on TV every Friday, score some bangers, ship even more at the other end.  Complete box office and thus grow the support that way!

11 hours ago, qpfc said:

I’d imagine there will be a host of clubs in league 1 after him. Heard Kelty were interested in him also but I really do a think an Airdrie type side would be perfect for him, especially if they fail to gain promotion. Really attacking side 

No idea who we’ll recruit this summer but it’ll need to be good once again to replicate a high placed finish. 5 loans returning back to parent clubs, 7 or 8 out of contract where I see most bar 1 or 2 getting released. Potential for Savoury getting sold. Could see an upwards of 8-9 additions this summer I feel. Not seen any links to players as of yet but I’d imagine that’ll come quickly if we’re to lose on Friday 

What’s the script with Cove, are they still gonna pursue for a hybrid system even though you guys are in league 1 or has that been scrapped for the time being ? From watching Cove against ourselves and Dundee match on TV, think the squad is desperately needing some legs throughout the squad. 

According to MB when he was at AZ, he stated that 'they didn't buy success, they created it'.  Also conscious of the statement he tweeted that it takes 50 matches to create an optimum chemistry between two players.  I'm wondering how that meshes with our current squad size and that kind of turnover given we're four years into the ten year plan?

35 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

According to MB when he was at AZ, he stated that 'they didn't buy success, they created it'.  Also conscious of the statement he tweeted that it takes 50 matches to create an optimum chemistry between two players.  I'm wondering how that meshes with our current squad size and that kind of turnover given we're four years into the ten year plan?

Whenever you move from one state of being to another, there is always the period in-between - the messy middle - from what we were to what we want to be.

The players that got us here, may not necessarily be the ones to get us there. 

And am sure this season is the end of year three.  

54 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

I am not sure we are realistically anything like 4 years into "The Plan"

Under McKinnon, the signing policy was (whisper it) quite Gretna-esque: sign loads of experienced players who have played at a higher level.

That clearly changed when McKinnon departed with the emphasis far more on developing a team rather than buying one.

If you want to start the clock ticking on a ten-year plan, I think the realistic start date is November 2021 when Beuker was appointed which would make us about 18 months into the plan.

On 10/05/2023 at 07:13, Hampden Diehard said:

The tactics are now to score three every week and hope the opposition don't.

Remember the days we endured, what seemed like an endless sequence, of 1-1 draws? 

What a contrast this season has been.   

10 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

Under McKinnon, the signing policy was (whisper it) quite Gretna-esque: sign loads of experienced players who have played at a higher level.

That clearly changed when McKinnon departed with the emphasis far more on developing a team rather than buying one.

If you want to start the clock ticking on a ten-year plan, I think the realistic start date is November 2021 when Beuker was appointed which would make us about 18 months into the plan.

Dempster said multiple times last season that there was no rush for us to get promoted out of League One, so bearing that in mind the club certainly won't be disappointed with how the past 18 months or so have gone.

In terms of the actual footballing side of things, we're in an incredibly positive place regardless of how these playoffs go and the foundations are there to make real progress even as soon as next year.

In unrelated matters, I believe Connor Smith is out of contract at the end of t he season & my  contact at Tynecastle* reckons he won't get offered a new one. Could he do a job for us?

*a guy I work with who supports Hearts

Edited by Arachnophile

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

It's all part of Dempster's grand plan; play on TV every Friday, score some bangers, ship even more at the other end.  Complete box office and thus grow the support that way!

Clearly not the case.  If it were she would have ensured that the stadium would have been finished a year ago and had at least double the projected capacity. 

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Can we just get something very clear please. GRETNA was a dying mans dream/ indulgence which ended in a lot of hurt.

What Dempsey is doing is something very very different? Hope you guys dont get as hurt when the charade is by with.

5 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Can we just get something very clear please. GRETNA was a dying mans dream/ indulgence which ended in a lot of hurt.

What Dempsey is doing is something very very different? Hope you guys dont get as hurt when the charade is by with.

Who is Dempsey and what on earth are you talking about? 

Loud & clear on the 4 yr error, (apologies all, maths was never a strong point).  Don't mis-understand, I have loved this season and as I've stated before, whilst promotion would be a wonderful achievement, another year or two in the Championship would give a more stable platform to progress, (Lesser being an obvious supporting reason).  Evidently we are far in advance of where we should be, my point (not overly well put admittedly) was that there seems to be a dichotomy between generating revenue from player profit whilst also building the 'chemistry' that MB mentioned for team progression.  With a limited squad and the projected/assumed player turnover that could be a difficult balancing act this summer.

40 minutes ago, an86 said:

Who is Dempsey and what on earth are you talking about? 

Listen, they know what they're talking about, and the Gretna jibes aren't going away any time soon. We'll all just have to...

tumblr_44ed16d11e8a7f2159391bb2b4a8803a_412bc6d6_500.gif.8870494313114a8488cedad5c9ab31a4.gif

...Makepeace with it.

[YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH!]

Edited by wEEgIE bOrEd
Emboldened, in order to absolutely hammer home the "joke"

I wouldn’t be getting too worried about what is and isn’t working in terms of long term strategy at this stage, on the pitch anyway. We’re still at the embryonic stage in terms of how we’re going to develop players. 

We need to completely settle down as a club before we can get moving. We looked for all the money that we were going to be playing League One football this season and Beuker, Coyle and the staff had minimal time to work together to get sorted for this season. They’ve had some crack at it.

This summer, they’ll have the advantage of knowing each other and what we require, now that relationships and methods have bedded in a wee bit. Of course, what we really need is a stadium as a focal point for the whole football club. You cannot claim to be a club for the community when you don’t play within the community. Not to say there’s no good work going on because there absolutely is, but we’re being held back so badly by this shambles of a stadium situation. 

17 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Liam went on loan to Stenhousemuir but picked up a bad injury in his first game and has been out all season. Back in training now. Agree he is a good prospect but perhaps not quite ready for the championship yet.

He didn't "pick up a bad injury in his first game". He played for 20 minutes against Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, looked fairly comfortable, and then just didn't come back the following week. Apparently the player has personal issues to overcome, and I wish him the very best in his recovery, but there was no physical injury.

50 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He didn't "pick up a bad injury in his first game". He played for 20 minutes against Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, looked fairly comfortable, and then just didn't come back the following week. Apparently the player has personal issues to overcome, and I wish him the very best in his recovery, but there was no physical injury.

Let's hope he makes a full recovery. 

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Being in Stenhousemuir does things to people. Even 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

I wouldn’t be getting too worried about what is and isn’t working in terms of long term strategy at this stage, on the pitch anyway. We’re still at the embryonic stage in terms of how we’re going to develop players. 

We need to completely settle down as a club before we can get moving. We looked for all the money that we were going to be playing League One football this season and Beuker, Coyle and the staff had minimal time to work together to get sorted for this season. They’ve had some crack at it.

This summer, they’ll have the advantage of knowing each other and what we require, now that relationships and methods have bedded in a wee bit. Of course, what we really need is a stadium as a focal point for the whole football club. You cannot claim to be a club for the community when you don’t play within the community. Not to say there’s no good work going on because there absolutely is, but we’re being held back so badly by this shambles of a stadium situation. 

Douglas Ross why oh why are you posing as an86 ? 

Years in the future, sport psychologists will look to examine exactly how the arse has fallen out of this side. 

There’s a complete absence of any leaders on that pitch. Tommy Robson is capable of Championship football, but he isn’t a captain. Performance levels have tanked since taking on the armband and his complete style of play is different for the worse.

That’s it now 1 win, 1 draw in 9. That’s sacking form. I believe that Coyle is capable of taking us to that next step, but questions have to be asked. 

Edited by The Spiderman