The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Had to time reflect on last night and the season on a whole and ultimately we just look totally burnt out physically and mentally. Not to mention selling our best player in January hindered our chances massively but that doesn’t account for some fairly chronic individual performances of late. 

You’re never going to gain or deserve  promotion if you win one game out of 12 against Ayr, Morton and Dundee(didn’t even come close to competing in some of those games). We’ve known from day 1 of the season that the defence was going to be a common issue and ultimately we’ve paid the price for it. The goals conceded last night and the last 2 months have been embarrassing and despite scoring twice and the goal of his life, that was probably the worst defensive display I’ve ever seen from Charlie Fox. If we’re to give the top half of the table another go next season, 3 out of the back 4 need changed which includes 2 new centre half’s and a right back. I understand having talented young players but it needs to be supplemented by some no nonsense experienced pros who know how to play against your Morton’s, Dundee’s etc. Had the league season lasted another 2 weeks, we’d 100% not be in a playoff spot. Calum Ferrie has saved us on multiple occasions this season and despite the team conceding a fair whack of goals, it would have looked a dreadful statistic had Ferrie not been in goals. 

Did we bottle it? As much as you can dance around it, we really did make a pigs ear of it. 7 points clear in March with Arbroath at home and Raith away the next two matches and we crumbled big style and sadly never recovered. 

I personally don’t think we’ll get past thistle in the playoffs and maybe the lack of expectation may help the guys through the next two legs now but realistically this squad and infrastructure isn’t anywhere close to being ready for the premiership. Think we’ll see a fairly different looking squad next season (for the better hopefully😬)

Fortunately we’re in a position financially where I don’t expect us to do an Arbroath and implode the following season but it’s looking increasingly likely that it’ll be an incredibly tougher league. Dunfermline will be up there battling for playoffs. Recruitment needs to be spot on

Even as a fan myself, I’ve found the season to be quite draining particularly 2nd half of the season which all comes down to playing at Stenny and the weekly Friday fixtures. Really hoping it can go back to usual 3pm Saturday kick off times again. Despite the season being incredibly exciting, it has took a fair bit of shine off it

Edited by qpfc

Genuinely - all the best for the playoffs.

A game last night that two teams were desperate to win and made for a ridiculously good spectacle. I wasn't saying that last night, mind you. 

A double hit for Queens in terms of losing out on the title but also losing out on 2nd place which is so key to the playoff run-in. You do get the feeling that whoever you play you need to heavily outscore them to win the match - I'm not sure Coyle knows any other way though.

19 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

No-one knows what Dempsey thinks. Not sure she/her does either.

Oh i think she does ? Even giving Owen acting ( crying ) lessons. 

2 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Sorry if this is a touchy subject but is there any chance of Lesser Hampden being up and running for the playoff semi finals? Asking for a friend who lives a mile away but might want to go in the Ayr end.

Which season?

Just now, Arachnophile said:

Which season?

Soz. Haven’t read your thread for a while so I’m not up to speed on stadium expectations. Gutted for Queens fans that this isn’t sorted yet. I took a wander past a few weeks ago and I was able to see in from a corner on Somerville Drive and could only see, what looks like, a most extravagant directors box? 2 rows of seats in front of a huge black building covering approximately 50% of the length of the pitch.

23 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I took a wander past a few weeks ago and I was able to see in from a corner on Somerville Drive and could only see, what looks like, a most extravagant directors box? 2 rows of seats in front of a huge black building covering approximately 50% of the length of the pitch.

The only people who don’t believe said directors box is a colossal waste of space and money are the small group of people who’ll be sitting in it every second week. One in a long line of absolutely dreadful off-field calls. 

Growing our fan base, whilst limiting our capacity. Selling our top scorer for fifty grand with a potential seven figure prize money/TV windfall as the financial reward for on field success. Retaining the same practices from the amateur days, causing our exit from the Scottish Cup and possibly another half million quid. The big decisions being called wrongly may have cost the club the chance of as much as an extra £2million. That’s a pretty serious failure in anyone’s book. 

Just six weeks ago Leeann Dempster was telling us we’d be back at Lesser Hampden this season. Unfortunately she appeared to discount the fact that a good portion of our support regularly pass Lesser Hampden and are in possession of a functioning set of eyes. If we’re in there for the League Cup, I’ll be amazed. Going to need two decent sized temporary stands to accommodate Championship supports. That’s nine or ten weeks away. The club can tell us whatever they want to tell us about the stadium, I simply won’t believe a word until I’m physically sitting in the stadium and watching a game. 

8 hours ago, an86 said:

The only people who don’t believe said directors box is a colossal waste of space and money are the small group of people who’ll be sitting in it every second week. One in a long line of absolutely dreadful off-field calls. 

Growing our fan base, whilst limiting our capacity. Selling our top scorer for fifty grand with a potential seven figure prize money/TV windfall as the financial reward for on field success. Retaining the same practices from the amateur days, causing our exit from the Scottish Cup and possibly another half million quid. The big decisions being called wrongly may have cost the club the chance of as much as an extra £2million. That’s a pretty serious failure in anyone’s book. 

Just six weeks ago Leeann Dempster was telling us we’d be back at Lesser Hampden this season. Unfortunately she appeared to discount the fact that a good portion of our support regularly pass Lesser Hampden and are in possession of a functioning set of eyes. If we’re in there for the League Cup, I’ll be amazed. Going to need two decent sized temporary stands to accommodate Championship supports. That’s nine or ten weeks away. The club can tell us whatever they want to tell us about the stadium, I simply won’t believe a word until I’m physically sitting in the stadium and watching a game. 

You should live so long.

On 06/05/2023 at 09:51, DA Baracus said:

Do elaborate please.

The average age of the squad. Lack of Championship level experience this year. Recruitment policy. The level of coaching behind the scenes. The long-term view of the club.    

57 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

The average age of the squad. Lack of Championship level experience this year. Recruitment policy. The level of coaching behind the scenes. The long-term view of the club.    

Obviously (as unlikely as it may be) we can still get promoted, so these discussions are slightly premature but I'm reading some very weird comments on here and elsewhere about how our season panned out.

The comparisons with what Arbroath nearly achieved last season make absolutely no sense. They were on the verge of an actual fairytale, which would've been one of the all time greatest stories in the history of Scottish football.

We didn't bring in a director of football from one of Europe's most elite youth academies on a 10 year deal only for everybody to give up after one setback, which was only ever a setback due to the fact that this group of players overachieved in the first place, and because for long periods of time it looked like nobody else wanted to win the league.

I'm not saying regression is impossible, anything can happen in this mental division. The club will absolutely be over the moon with having established ourselves as a Championship side though, and no doubt looking to build on what happened over the next season or two.

On 06/05/2023 at 15:46, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’ve studied the goals this morning. We lost four of them by allowing Dundee players to run from midfield into central scoring areas. First phase defending was okay but second phase support was poor, mostly due to midfielders.

The whole defensive set up has been ropey all season, just that earlier we were scoring regularly to mask the problem. Once the goals dried up it’s highlighted the defence. Also helps a defence greatly if the frontline can keep the ball up their end for a bit.

We must sign an experienced centre back and I would go for the Morton No5 Baird who I think is the best in this position in the league. We must also sign a striker who will score goals on a regular basis like the guy at Ayr. I am sure that both are available for the right money.Not sure where we can get a good midfielder to play alongside Thomson though!!

4 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

We must sign an experienced centre back and I would go for the Morton No5 Baird who I think is the best in this position in the league. We must also sign a striker who will score goals on a regular basis like the guy at Ayr. I am sure that both are available for the right money.Not sure where we can get a good midfielder to play alongside Thomson though!!

:lol::lol:

5 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Fucking lol 😂

Deluded.

6 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Leeanne Crichton is that you?

22 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

No, just stating what we need for next season. 

Okay big man, I'll ride the bus to the next stop. How much do you think it would cost to get Dipo Akinyemi? Be very specific here. 

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Okay big man, I'll ride the bus to the next stop. How much do you think it would cost to get Dipo Akinyemi? Be very specific here. 

No idea. But if we are the Glesca Gretna, it shouldn't be a problem.

However, as we are not, then I agree with your assumption that he is beyond our budget

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

Baird has a contract with us for another year but if you want to offer 250k for him I'm sure we'd consider it.