The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I really don't see what is so controversial here.  As one advantage, teams have an advantage playing at their home ground. Studies show that teams tend to get more referee decisions in their favour at home, and home advantage is a thing. 

And yet, despite that, some teams still perform better away than at home.  That doesn't mean that there isn't a theoretical sporting advantage to being the home team.  

I just can't believe that people find this to be a controversial point.  In the last couple of pages, people have denied that preparation matters, dismissed the difference between full time and part time players, and denied that a familiar playing surface helps.  All to deny a very uncontroversial point that regularly playing home games on a Friday presents a theoretical sporting advantage.

What's controversial is you deciding that Queen's Park have a conscious sporting advantage by playing Fridays (which I'm sure they'd rather not do) just because it may or may not affect Arbroath a bit (the only part time team in the division anyway).

Arbroath can feel free to resign their Championship place and disappear back off to the lower leagues if you prefer?

They won't though, because everybody else connected with Arbroath also realises it's a truly stupendously stupid complaint.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What's controversial is you deciding that Queen's Park have a conscious sporting advantage by playing Fridays (which I'm sure they'd rather not do) just because it may or may not affect Arbroath a bit (the only part time team in the division anyway).

Arbroath can feel free to resign their Championship place and disappear back off to the lower leagues if you prefer?

They won't though, because everybody else connected with Arbroath also realises it's a truly stupendously stupid complaint.

What brings you out of the seaside leagues?  There is nothing controversial about saying that full time players who's whole routine is set up around playing on Fridays have a theoretical advantage over part time players who's routine is set up around playing on Saturdays.

How long before do you think we’ll be waiting to hear about a new a manager? Hardly heard any murmurs or rumours so hoping we’ll have something lined up that’s not your run of the mill managers

Can’t help but feel slightly apprehensive about the season. Very early days of course but Dunfermline and Dundee United make the league infinitely stronger (on paper at least).

No manager, half a team and no stadium. Buzzing 

Edited by qpfc

22 minutes ago, qpfc said:

How long before do you think we’ll be waiting to hear about a new a manager? Hardly heard any murmurs or rumours so hoping we’ll have something lined up that’s not your run of the mill managers

Can’t help but feel slightly apprehensive about the season. Very early days of course but Dunfermline and Dundee United make the league infinitely stronger (on paper at least).

No manager, half a team and no stadium. Buzzing 

Fully expect Airdrie to be more of a challenge this year than Hamilton and I'm guessing we're also likely to be facing Ross County too.  Said it before and I'll say it again, that I'm expecting a backwards step this year, whether that's backwards to consolidation in the Championship or being part of a relegation fight will largely depend upon when and who is announced as manager and making some signings to replace the likes of Mal and Grant.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What brings you out of the seaside leagues?  There is nothing controversial about saying that full time players who's whole routine is set up around playing on Fridays have a theoretical advantage over part time players who's routine is set up around playing on Saturdays.

I can see now why you were exiled.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

There is when it isn't backed up by evidence or facts.

Neither of which you've produced.

It's not controversial, it's wrong.

On 27/05/2023 at 12:03, Arachnophile said:

image.png.ad568cdbe71791148062732e95cfc923.png

Would you update your cover photo to a stadium where you are not playing next season? Logic & common sense (I know) would suggest that we intend to be playing at Lesser...

5 rows, no standing areas and not even the full length of the pitch; I know the space is restricted (not exactly touching the end of big Hampden mind you) but surely this has to be among the most unambitious structures ever implemented from scratch by a professional sports club to house spectators - as well as taking one of the longest periods to build (my understanding is it's STILL not quite ready?). The Royal Box AKA Haugheys Folly is an absolute disgrace of course, not no mention an architectural eyesore (the grotesque love child of a rural bus stop and Anderson shelter, contrasting sharply with the adjacent McAlpine building which is very smart IMO) but it would be mitigated slightly if this stand and the proposed ends were in any way sufficient for even a modest third-tier club, which was the minimum target in going professional. Despite making it seem like a Herculean task from which a facility of great splendour would eventually appear, justifying the disruption and making it all worthwhile, the end product is so underwhelming. The bare minimum in almost every aspect (the pitch itself looks nice). And the attitude displayed by the committee in committee in communications relating to this, Ochilview and the Conference League is disgusting. How is it even possible to get it so spectacularly wrong at all times. 

41 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

So why are all clubs not part time, if there's no advantage being full time?

Thats not what you argued though.

You clearly argued that Queens Park were manipulating the fixture list in a nefarious manner as part of some machiavellian scheme to *checks notes* get better results against 2 part time teams. A plot so devious it got QP the sum total of 1 point and 1 goal in two home Friday games vs Arbroath, and a bumper 1 goal and 3 points in 1 home game vs Cove. Obviously QP roped the BBC into their masterplan, as the Beeb forced Cove to play at home to QP on a Friday night in November. Not content with convincing the national broadcaster to conspire against part time teams, QP engaged with the SPFL to have them play Arbroath away on Friday the 23rd of December to again play to the huge advantage they would gain. At least this time they managed a more convincing cover up, by coercing the leagues governing body to move the entire championship fixture list to the Friday night, so as to avert suspicion.

Or, you're wrong.

Why don't you present the evidence to back your "theory"?

Where's the proof? What are the facts?

3 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Saw the opportunity to pull someone up for talking nonsense. Couldnt resist. We'll be back here soon enough. 😉

14 minutes ago, RateofKnots said:

Thats not what you argued though.

You clearly argued that Queens Park were manipulating the fixture list in a nefarious manner as part of some machiavellian scheme to *checks notes* get better results against 2 part time teams. A plot so devious it got QP the sum total of 1 point and 1 goal in two home Friday games vs Arbroath, and a bumper 1 goal and 3 points in 1 home game vs Cove. Obviously QP roped the BBC into their masterplan, as the Beeb forced Cove to play at home to QP on a Friday night in November. Not content with convincing the national broadcaster to conspire against part time teams, QP engaged with the SPFL to have them play Arbroath away on Friday the 23rd of December to again play to the huge advantage they would gain. At least this time they managed a more convincing cover up, by coercing the leagues governing body to move the entire championship fixture list to the Friday night, so as to avert suspicion.

Or, you're wrong.

Why don't you present the evidence to back your "theory"?

Where's the proof? What are the facts?

No.  I never argued that at any point.  I don't think there's anything nefarious about it at all.  

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

No.  I never argued that at any point.  I don't think there's anything nefarious about it at all.  

So you think they accidentally stumbled upon the scenario you've openly accused them of? 

One which bore 4 points and 2 goals over 3 games.

Truly, they took full advantage.

2 hours ago, BuddyZero said:

5 rows, no standing areas and not even the full length of the pitch;

Oi, I'll have you know that there are 6 rows of seats in our magnificent new stand. The front row is so low down that it's hidden by the boundary wall in most photographs. Not recommended for shortarses. Anyway we've already won the award for worst stadium in the Championship 2023-24 and season 2022-23 isn't even over yet.

1 hour ago, RateofKnots said:

So you think they accidentally stumbled upon the scenario you've openly accused them of? 

One which bore 4 points and 2 goals over 3 games.

Truly, they took full advantage.

Are you saying Queens Park deliberately chose to play at Ochilview where they were the third in line tenants?  Because I don't think so.  But nonetheless, its a theoretical sporting advantage.  The angry Ayr fan right at the start of this said so himself.  And the points don't matter.  Studies show that generally, teams have an advantage in home games, but yet, despite that undisputed advantage, not every single game is a home win.  How can this still be a discussion topic?  Its not even a controversial point.

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Are you saying Queens Park deliberately chose to play at Ochilview where they were the third in line tenants?  Because I don't think so.  But nonetheless, its a theoretical sporting advantage.

Ok, dunno if you've smoked the haddock or fermented it, but on behalf of everyone on the QP thread, stop now, just stop.  

15 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Fully expect Airdrie to be more of a challenge this year than Hamilton and I'm guessing we're also likely to be facing Ross County too.  Said it before and I'll say it again, that I'm expecting a backwards step this year, whether that's backwards to consolidation in the Championship or being part of a relegation fight will largely depend upon when and who is announced as manager and making some signings to replace the likes of Mal and Grant.

I think next season will be exceptionally tough. Coyle's departure, if it was due to budget and philosophy of developing youngsters, suggests to me that the club has decided that they don't care where we play as long as it is not 4th tier. Not sure this will fit the average fan's philosophy following on from this season. It is so hard to find a blend of experienced players at the same time as bringing on youth. No club to my mind in Scotland has achieved that so far, Celtic and Rangers are prime examples, and I have a feeling that we are spending thousands on an "academy" that will bring on young talent that we are unlikely to see at first team level. None of the youngsters we have seen this season are Championship level yet or maybe never. Talented they may be but this is a tough league and I am not sure we will give much priority to staying in it. Hope to be proved very wrong.

Edited by williebraveheart

My wish list for the new week. 

1) Announcement on where we will be playing for the season, in advance of any ST talk. 
2) Announcement of new Manager, or even just an update as to when it might happen. 
3) A signing, any signing. 

I’ll take 1 of 3 by Friday. 

Yup, MB also talks about and cites the data-driven approach of Billy Beane when it comes to the short-medium term and I'm assuming that assisted with the signing of Grant Savoury last year.  I'm hoping similar work has been done this year and that for all the player releases recently, we have lined up sufficient and ample replacements already; FOMO already beginning to manifest itself!