The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

50 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I’ve no doubts Beuker hired Coyle but I look at it as a stop gap until the right personnel became available, ie Veldman. Coyle was never going to be long term I felt. At the time of Coyle’s appointment, Beuker had been in the dugout for 3 months. It was an embarrassing situation which needed sorting before the season drew to a close 

You look at Coyle and the way ex players from his managerial career talk about his training. Small sided games and little to no shape. Just felt like even from when Coyle was first appointed, it didn’t seem like the type of guy Beuker would massively get on with. Ultimately Coyle standing down has most likely solidified that theory 

I'm sure I read/heard an interview with Coyle at something where he mentioned that he'd been in communication with people at QP as far back as the switch to turning pro. Not necessarily in terms of joining us, but taking an interest in the progress and possibly offering some advice etc.(?)

I can't remember the source so I may be misremembering the details.

While i'm sure Beuker signed off on Coyles' appointment, I'm not convinced Coyle would have been top of his contact list. I wouldn't be surprised if the initial suggestion may have come from Haughey, as I believe they know each other well.

Veldman however is 100% a Beuker appointment.

6 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

It's obviously not cheap, but I wouldn't imagine the club has any say over the prices the caterers set? 

I would have thought that the club can now decide who the caterer is at Lesser and can definitely influence the pricing. Fans can likewise influence the pricing by not buying anything. When we move in to Hampden of course we are again locked in to the contracted catering so if this is part of the sharing deal then you may be right.

11 hours ago, qpfc said:

I was disappointed when Coyle left but reading between the lines, his constant message in post match interviews of “it’s not about the here and now, it’s building for the future” was nonsense and completely contrasting to how he really wanted things to work in terms of recruitment etc

I’m told he regularly suggested cutting back on the academy budget in favour of the first team. “Reading the room” not a strength then.

13 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I'd like to pick your brains for something that's been on my mind since the last season. 

I thought the main driving force behind the decision to become a professional club and start offering our players professional contracts and wages was to stop bigger clubs from poaching the young talent we develop through the ranks for nothing. The secondary aim being using the money we receive from player sales in restructuring the club and building strong ties with the community. If I'm not mistaken in all of the above, the fact that we haven't sold a single young player in the last three years is a little worrying. Mind you, I'm quite happy to see the team competing in the Championship and keep signing quality players but how does that fit into "the plan"? For example, the signing of Hepburn as a loanee from Bayern is definitely good for the first team's prospects this season but he's not a player we can "sell on". If I don't see the club making money off at least two player sales at the end of 23/24 season, then I'm seriously doubting "the plan". 

There were two key selling points. Firstly, avoid the relegation trapdoor and QPFC dropping out the senior leagues, most likely never to return. The aspirational benchmark for this was upper half of League 1. Secondly, not to stop clubs poaching players but to at least get a decent reward from them. As it’s turned out, there’s not many clubs can poach from us now due to our new league position.

So, in short, the original objectives have been met and look sustainable. Next phase of the plan - The Beuker Years - is well under way. I don’t fear relegation at all, especially when I see the new signings and a coach that wants to play like every group of fans hopes their team can play like. The Championship is our new ground zero. Beuker’s got his group all marching the same way. We still need a deeper squad but this looks like it might be a cracker of a season.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

23 minutes ago, Tangled web said:

I would have thought that the club can now decide who the caterer is at Lesser and can definitely influence the pricing. Fans can likewise influence the pricing by not buying anything. When we move in to Hampden of course we are again locked in to the contracted catering so if this is part of the sharing deal then you may be right.

I have a feeling the current catering deal was purely one of convenience given we won't be spending too much time at Lesser yet. Hopefully it'll change in the future.

9 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I have a feeling the current catering deal was purely one of convenience given we won't be spending too much time at Lesser yet. Hopefully it'll change in the future.

We are sharing the catering staff with the Burnside Hotel (owned by Haughey and where the first team meet, eat and travel from for away games) although I noticed we are also advertising for more hospitality staff. We don't seem to be using the same kiosk staff as Hampden, but if we're hiring for hospitality staff, then it's likley we'll use them when we play there.

The same staff working at the kiosk at the stadium on Saturday were then behind the bar in the social club afterwards

I dont know who's supplying the pies etc. but it could be the same supplier as Hampden. I was quite surprised by the prices, and had hoped that when we returned to Lesser we would be more reasonably priced, but it could well be that we're matching the Hampden prices so they're the same all season?

Would hope we’d announce some pre-season fixtures soon, given that we’re back in training. No reason to keep them a big secret like the amateur days. Nobody is going to come in and lift a trialist from us if they have a good game. 

27 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm still staggered that a capri sun at Lesser costs £2.30, more than double the price in Arbroath (£1).  That is unbelievable.  

I'm staggered by all the prices - £3.40 for a Pepsi! £3.10 for a pie! Totally ridiculous for a family considering going to a match.

3 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

I'm staggered by all the prices - £3.40 for a Pepsi! £3.10 for a pie! Totally ridiculous for a family considering going to a match.

Am staggered that anyone would buy anything at these prices. It was the same when we played at Hampden.

The simple answer is to buy from the local shops instead. 

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

Am staggered that anyone would buy anything at these prices. It was the same when we played at Hampden.

The simple answer is to buy from the local shops instead. 

Another benefit of being back in the Southside is the veritable feast (geddit??) of food outlets nearby.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Adidas, looks classy,  compared to the usual generic Joma pish  some clubs get saddled with.

As long as we don’t go with the mad wavy snakeskin hoops like the Celtic shirt. An absolute atrocity. Would have thought it’d be almost impossible to mess up just a simple concept as hoops in two colours. Always think less is more with the traditional home shirt and make the away as mental as possible.