Champions League 2022/23

Coooombe

Thought Grealish was quite self-effacing and was brutally honest about his own performances in the final, and the season before.

Not sure why he gets so much stick? 

https://twitter.com/HLTCO/status/1667793975938359297?t=PgOV9vEmbAQpAwmQvO4lxA&s=19

Didn't have a great final, but did have an excellent season.

14 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Thought Grealish was quite self-effacing and was brutally honest about his own performances in the final, and the season before.

Not sure why he gets so much stick? 

https://twitter.com/HLTCO/status/1667793975938359297?t=PgOV9vEmbAQpAwmQvO4lxA&s=19

Didn't have a great final, but did have an excellent season.

Yep he’s been a superb signing for City. He’s Improved tremendously as a player since he joined them, and was no surprise he played the full 90 yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Presumably those inflation figures are football-specific, as in based around the average or mean transfer fees paid today, as they're absolutely wild in terms of actual monetary inflation.

Shearer's fee in 1996 would be roughly double that now with normal adjustment for inflation.

Isn’t the inflation figure an average based on various commodities? Inflation in terms of football transfers is clearly more than roughly double since 1996. It’s been more of an exponential rise. From £12m for the likes of Flo being seen as mental, to £100m for the likes of Grealish being seen as mental. Approx. 7-10 times from what you saw 15-20 years ago for the big football transfers.

9 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

P&B is full of tartan army sad sacks who can't be objective about anybody English. 

He seems to get a lot of stick in general, on social media. There was some sicko having a go at him because his sister had passed away, I think? I appreciate that is an extreme example. 

I guess it cones down to the lack of objective analysis, in general? 

45 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Never been so uninterested in a champions league final. 

Apathy towards the game and loathing towards the winners. f**k this version of football. 

I have to say...  I've sort of said myself, and agreed with others on here that the UCL was going downhill and descending into a show pony exhibition circuit. But that never truly squared up with the reality that I have found the latter stages of the tournament hugely exciting and seen some glorious football in recent years. 

I think I agree with you that something has changed this year in terms of how into it I've been. I am beginning to wonder if top level football (namely that which I am most exposed to, Barclays and UCL) is reaching the tipping point now. 

The relative success and obvious emboldened of the sport wash machine sort of makes me think the Super League stuff will be back soon. Every English club is now a plaything, c***s like Boehly, hilarious though his tenure is, are now operating right slap bang in the centre of things like they want to be part of the show....

It just feels like the frog is almost at the boil now. 

It's no odds to me. I will continue to get the majority of my needs served by Falkirk and Scottish football, but aye. The winds of change are coming again I think. 

Can’t emphasise enough just how boring I found that last night. I’d lump the English Premier League in with it too - two competitions that just don’t do it for me the way they used to. Everything feels completely manufactured, a lot of (not all) supporters seem plastic as f**k and ready to jump ship at the first sign of trouble and there’s a want for everything to be spot on. Genuinely felt like I was watching the Super Bowl or some pish. Up here, our game may not be perfect, but for me that’s what makes it perfect. 

I did have a good chiluckle at some pished up Man City fan raging that he'd been ordered to stay seated because about 5 rows behind him were full of Turkish (I assume) folk not joining in with the singing. 

"Fucking tourists!" :lol:

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Isn’t the inflation figure an average based on various commodities? Inflation in terms of football transfers is clearly more than roughly double since 1996. It’s been more of an exponential rise. From £12m for the likes of Flo being seen as mental, to £100m for the likes of Grealish being seen as mental. Approx. 7-10 times from what you saw 15-20 years ago for the big football transfers.

Inflation is based on the increase in price of goods and services, not football players. 

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

P&B is full of tartan army sad sacks who can't be objective about anybody English. 

It's actually totally inverted, you can have a go at any player but only if they're English will some sad sack rush to their defence.

Bruno Fernandes is probably the most slated player on this part of the forum and it's because he's a bellend on the pitch - not because he's Portuguese.

Grealish doesn't particularly bother me but you can see how his style of player - run into players and get fouls - will irk fans of opposing teams. He does a job for the City team - like Kyle Walker - but they have many far better players. The cult following he has from sycophants is quite amusing though.

They did wildly over pay for him, there is absolutely no doubt about that. Could have had several Kvaratskhelias for that, he's a player in a similar role who far outperforms Grealish in just about every way.

To be fair to Grealish, he probably realises himself he ain't that good compared to his peers at Man City hence his honesty at his dreadful first season and woeful final performance (plenty of City players had a poor final).

He will have a Mahrez like career for them, in and out the team, and always in the shadow of the genuine superstars.

City winning last night was a good thing for international football. Folk have questioned what international football brings now club football has overtaken it as the highest standard of play. I think the answer is international football now brings a narrative satisfaction which club football no longer can. Argentina is a far poorer nation than I think many folk realise yet their team won the world cup last winter. Croatia, a wee nation on the European periphery, were finalists in 2018. You can't "buy success" in international football to the same extent. Its still the case that wealthier nations are hugely advantaged over poorer nations but the wealth monopoly on success is lesser than in club football.

35 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

It's actually totally inverted, you can have a go at any player but only if they're English will some sad sack rush to their defence.

Bruno Fernandes is probably the most slated player on this part of the forum and it's because he's a bellend on the pitch - not because he's Portuguese.

Grealish doesn't particularly bother me but you can see how his style of player - run into players and get fouls - will irk fans of opposing teams. He does a job for the City team - like Kyle Walker - but they have many far better players. The cult following he has from sycophants is quite amusing though.

They did wildly over pay for him, there is absolutely no doubt about that. Could have had several Kvaratskhelias for that, he's a player in a similar role who far outperforms Grealish in just about every way.

To be fair to Grealish, he probably realises himself he ain't that good compared to his peers at Man City hence his honesty at his dreadful first season and woeful final performance (plenty of City players had a poor final).

He will have a Mahrez like career for them, in and out the team, and always in the shadow of the genuine superstars.

02143545-09ED-4310-83D1-D3C5F7431991.thumb.jpeg.b2a30e8b47cce57f758fb34d30b151ad.jpeg

AA315F8E-BB81-40BF-83F4-A6527013455E.thumb.jpeg.1ce71a180a7be26be56089e27d575c7a.jpeg

4 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

City winning last night was a good thing for international football. Folk have questioned what international football brings now club football has overtaken it as the highest standard of play. I think the answer is international football now brings a narrative satisfaction which club football no longer can. Argentina is a far poorer nation than I think many folk realise yet their team won the world cup last winter. Croatia, a wee nation on the European periphery, were finalists in 2018. You can't "buy success" in international football to the same extent. Its still the case that wealthier nations are hugely advantaged over poorer nations but the wealth monopoly on success is lesser than in club football.

Good point. I was also thinking how much better the WC final was than last night's game. There seems to be too much at stake financially in UCL whereas in the international scene although they still get paid, it's more passionate.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Aye that's what I was saying - normal inflation has roughly doubled since 1996 but football transfer inflation has gone many times above that. The original posted graphic makes sense in that context, when you're talking £100m for the likes of Grealish or Rice, £75 million for Caicedo etc. But being labelled 'adjusted for inflation' is misleading.