Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

10 hours ago, kevsmart said:

Are you on something, because that is not going to happen

It's a joke about how Cowdenbeath randomly got given a place in the League Cup by the SPFL for no good reason.

11 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

I think Cowdenbeath will be given the place in League 2.

It's not even a debate. Straight to the knockout stages of the Viaplay Cup as a sweetener for the inconvenience caused too I'd imagine.

12 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Am I correct in thinking Edinburgh Uni could be relegated this weekend with a defeat combined with a victory for East Stirlingshire? 

A win for East Stirlingshire would ensure that Edinburgh University end up in one of the bottom two positions. Whether or not they are relegated will depend on the final positions (Gretna 2008 and Edinburgh University still have to play each other) and whether there are two, one or zero teams relegated. 

48 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

A win for East Stirlingshire would ensure that Edinburgh University end up in one of the bottom two positions. Whether or not they are relegated will depend on the final positions (Gretna 2008 and Edinburgh University still have to play each other) and whether there are two, one or zero teams relegated. 

Thanks, hadn't realised they're actually playing one another this weekend either! 

I hope there will soon be a proposal to automatically relegate the bottom team. That has to be one of the priorities. The bottom placed team could feasibly end up on <10 points and stay in the league. I find it hard to understand why anyone would agree with this.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I hope there will soon be a proposal to automatically relegate the bottom team. That has to be one of the priorities. The bottom placed team could feasibly end up on <10 points and stay in the league. I find it hard to understand why anyone would agree with this.

The only reason the bottom team  wouldn't be relegated is if there is no Teir 6 licenced  champion qualifying to come up. Through 3 way / two way Playoffs or straight up if only one meets the rules. There will always be a promotion from Tier 6 if at least 1 club qualifies. 

On the other hand the bottom 2 teams can be relegated depending on what happens with LL/ HL/ Team 42 Playoffs. 

20 minutes ago, ekok said:

The only reason the bottom team  wouldn't be relegated is if there is no Teir 6 licenced  champion qualifying to come up. Through 3 way / two way Playoffs or straight up if only one meets the rules. There will always be a promotion from Tier 6 if at least 1 club qualifies. 

Its not the only way. 

Club 42 relegated to Highland with LL champion promoted. Bottom escapes relegation. 

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its not the only way. 

Club 42 relegated to Highland with LL champion promoted. Bottom escapes relegation. 

The important thing is that a Tier 6 promotion place is always protected, irrespective of how many clubs are relegated.

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

The important thing is that a Tier 6 promotion place is always protected, irrespective of how many clubs are relegated.

So it could rise to more than 16 members not counting B-teams?

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not really. That's always been a given. 

The rule around the bottom relegation was amended after Selkirk went bust. Given some grace at the time with the expectation wider chances were round the corner that would make it irrelevant. Its been 5 years and counting. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

So it could rise to more than 16 members not counting B-teams?

No. And that was the purpose of the rule. There is always one team promoted (assuming there is an eligible Tier 6 champion) and depending on what happens at the top of the league, 0 1 or 2 teams are relegated.

8 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

What would happen if club 42 is relegated to the highland league and the ll champions win promotion and there is no teir 6 promotion due to licensing issues?

A black hole will appear over Hampden and the universe will implode up its own ar*ehole...

Someone will know the real answer but I don't think it has been seen as a serious enough possibility, which would be a bit short sighted. 

EDIT - Possibly an invitations for applications from anyone with a license... Maybe

Edited by Spyro

8 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

What would happen if club 42 is relegated to the highland league and the ll champions win promotion and there is no teir 6 promotion due to licensing issues?

Celtic would grease 15 palms to enter a C team.

30 minutes ago, Spyro said:

A black hole will appear over Hampden and the universe will implode up its own ar*ehole...

Someone will know the real answer but I don't think it has been seen as a serious enough possibility, which would be a bit short sighted. 

EDIT - Possibly an invitations for applications from anyone with a license... Maybe

You are right - applications would be invited. Logically, it would be the highest-placed licence club in Tier 6, but that is up to the SLFL members.  Here is the relevant rule:

Admission by Application B5:  If the number of clubs for the forthcoming season is less than sixteen having taken account of promotion and relegation as described in rules B3 and B4 above, applications for membership will be invited. Applications must be advertised and received in accordance with procedures established by the Board at the time of identification that there may be a vacancy to be filled by admission. Applications will be considered by the member clubs, whose decision regarding admission is absolute and final."

2 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Cowdenbeath would be invited to enter a B team most likely.