How much would you pay to see Johnny Depp play guitar?

btb

Seen he's been appearing onstage with Jeff Beck, often described as the Guitarist's Guitarist, this is from a Grauniad article...

Jeff Beck: the super-guitarist to end all super-guitarists

...but last week Beck was playing with an amateur after charging full price for the gig now I know Depp has played with Alice Cooper (Hollywood Vampires) in recent years but Alice (and I much prefer him to Beck) is Showbiz these days. 

I wonder if they played Hi Ho Silver Lining?

26 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There been playing "The Death and Resurrection Show" by Killing Joke so it's not all bad.

Fuxake you ain't nothin but an old hippy these daze!

Interesting take tho, Beck has always been lauded for his "artistic integrity" much more so than his ex-Yardbird contemporaries Clapton & Page but maybe playing a KJ song has it's own integrity in a sorta Neil Young & The Shocking Pink way - an album that led his record label to sue him!

Compare the setlists with & without JD...

Jeff Beck Concert Setlists | setlist.fm

Edited by btb

45 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Pals of mine were a the Jeff Beck gig, and were impressed by how good a guitarist Depp is.

I personally wouldn't pay to see him.

Fairy Nuff.

I've a coupla mates who usually go to see Jeff Beck (not my cuppa tea) whenever he's in Glasgow so I'll check out their opinion, as I said it seems a strange pairing to me, Ida thought Depp would have fitted in better with his dad's band who are also touring just now but maybe SirMick said no.

Edited by btb

7 minutes ago, btb said:

Fairy Nuff.

I've a coupla mates who usually go to see Jeff Beck (not my cuppa tea) whenever he's in Glasgow so I'll check out their opinion, as I said it seems a strange pairing to me, Ida thought Depp would have fitted in better with his dad's band who are also touring just now but maybe SirMick said no.

Aye, it surprised me to see Depp jamming with Beck.

Beck is pretty much the guitarist's guitarist - one of my mates is a massive guitar snob/aficionado - if Depp wasn't great, my mate would have taken great delight in saying so., so he must have been decent - fair play. 

Johnny Depp played on a couple of the tunes on Be Here Now. Noel Gallagher said recently on a podcast that he was a brilliant guitarist and that he'd spent years in bands before making it as an actor.

Edited by Fratelli

20 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Johnny Depp played on a couple of the tunes on Be Here Now. Noel Gallagher said recently on a podcast that he was a brilliant guitarist and that he'd spent years in bands before making it as an actor.

The words brilliant guitarist and Be Here Now shouldn't appear in the same sentence imo.

Edited by stevieKTID

20 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I knew Depp was a talented guitarist but my point is he's essentially an amateur playing with his mates or in the case of the Hollywood Vampires & in a forthcoming elpee with Jeff Beck largely playing covers.

I've seen some pretty talented guitarists playing covers with entry free - perhaps a more relevant question would have been how much would you pay to see Donny Jepp?

8 minutes ago, btb said:

I knew Depp was a talented guitarist but my point is he's essentially an amateur playing with his mates or in the case of the Hollywood Vampires & in a forthcoming elpee with Jeff Beck largely playing covers.

I've seen some pretty talented guitarists playing covers with entry free - perhaps a more relevant question would have been how much would you pay to see Donny Jepp?

I was speaking to another guitarist who was at the Jeff Beck/Depp gig - he said Depp was just playing rhythm guitar rather than soloing.

He also said, though, that a bunch of daft females had heard that Depp was playing, bought tickets at the last minute, and did their best to spoil the gig with their whooping. etc.

That's possibly an indicator of the type of person that would pay to see Depp playing guitar.