Broxburn Athletic

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

What a difference a year makes! Broxburn all out of sorts in 22-23, but back to being a top side this season. After Whitburn's Cup final win, last week, Broxburn were on a hiding to nothing this week. Although it came to penalties, Broxburn's season continues to be impressive👍

Think we all expected to do better this season... and least be more competitive, but the start made has really been unexpected. Certainly enjoying it while it lasts.

We've not had quite the horrendous run of injuries from last season and the management worked to bring in a full midfield for this season... we were really lacking there in games last season. 

Moved on some of the guys that I suspect were more disruptive in the changing rooms... looks a much better team spirit this season too. We still give away some cheap goals... too many... but when it's happening, the heads don't drop so you can see a better attitude all round amongst the players.

11 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Certainly the amount me and the missus spend in the pie stall, we must have contributed to the signing of at least a full back!

I reckon another tea and sausage roll might make me a majority share-holder!

Ah, the mysterious Far East backer of Broxburn Athletic is found :lol:

There was some interesting refereeing at Peebles v Dunbar today too. Must be the wet weather.. 

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Ah, the mysterious Far East backer of Broxburn Athletic is found :lol:

There was some interesting refereeing at Peebles v Dunbar today too. Must be the wet weather.. 

Pouring her Pesos into the club!

Every match summary I've seen seems to mention a dodgy ref. Something in the sky water!

A solid first half from Broxburn today has done the job. Caught Nairn cold to take an early lead then doubled it from another set piece right before half time and just as they were getting into it... anyone confirmed who got the final touch after the deflection?

2nd half was more scrappy. They missed a total sitter early in... but that was about all they really offered, Nairn tried to force the play, but Broxburn did well keeping them out and looking to hit on the break.

And then the last 5 minutes was absolute carnage! Gave away our standard goal which really got their backs up and they really pushed to equalise. Couple of wild challenges, bit of argy bargy, a red card and the final whistle came probably just before it completely boiled over. 

A nervy ending. Again! But thought we were just about worth the win. Great to see Big Erroll start a game... he looked properly knackered when he subbed off. Good to see Binnie get a wee run out near the end too.

Went along to the friendly with Armadale last night.  Pretty decent game to watch. Good to see a lot of the bench / players returning from injury get a good few minutes in their legs.

Good set up there and they have a pretty decent team. Expect them to be pushing for promotion into the second tier this year.

11 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Went along to the friendly with Armadale last night.  Pretty decent game to watch. Good to see a lot of the bench / players returning from injury get a good few minutes in their legs.

Good set up there and they have a pretty decent team. Expect them to be pushing for promotion into the second tier this year.

Any idea who the wee trialist up front for Broxburn was? Just seen videos of his goals... looks decent!

It's a cracking set up at Armadale... been along a few times last couple of seasons. Defo a Premier side in a few seasons with their set up and fan base - and surely only a matter of time before licensed to join us in the "Big" Scottish. 

9 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Any idea who the wee trialist up front for Broxburn was? Just seen videos of his goals... looks decent!

It's a cracking set up at Armadale... been along a few times last couple of seasons. Defo a Premier side in a few seasons with their set up and fan base - and surely only a matter of time before licensed to join us in the "Big" Scottish. 

No idea but if available I’d snap him up in a heartbeat.  Despite being small, had great pace, balance, ability and willingness to get stuck in. He almost had a first half hat trick but the ref adjudged the ball had gone out. 

19 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

No idea but if available I’d snap him up in a heartbeat.  Despite being small, had great pace, balance, ability and willingness to get stuck in. He almost had a first half hat trick but the ref adjudged the ball had gone out. 

I've seen literally just the two clip of his goals and thinking... sign him! One total peach and one he just seemed to appear from nowhere!

• 2 weeks later...

That was a sore, soggy one today. Too many regular starters missing, never really got going, a silly, silly sending off for Lewis Turner again and on the day, Dunbar were better and more up for it and thoroughly deserved the win.

The unbeaten record is gone, so just need to put today behind us and get going again next week.

1 hour ago, Jordi1977 said:

That was a sore, soggy one today. Too many regular starters missing, never really got going, a silly, silly sending off for Lewis Turner again and on the day, Dunbar were better and more up for it and thoroughly deserved the win.

The unbeaten record is gone, so just need to put today behind us and get going again next week.

Also some Dunbar guys missing from their selection today. 

It's been a great run while it lasted. We've been lucky but this run was always due to end. There's not enough quality in the huge squad to compete against the decent teams with the quality that where sidelined today

Lewis Turner has been the main man this season, his second yellow was an instinctive stretch for the ball. 

That turned out to be a bit of a relief! Some of our forward play today was excellent... two very good goals from Gary Brass, especially his first and I thought Ross Nimmo was at times unplayable and turned their defence inside-out at times. At the other end, bit of a goalkeeping blunder for their first goal and while it was a really good move by the Gow for their 2nd, our defence seemed to stand off and let them by too easily. 

All the best to Lesmahagow in their season, they gave a pretty good account of themselves today and even when they went down to 10 men, they kept at it.

Excellent result tonight. Not the best of games... two decent sides that never fully got going. But for Broxburn it's a win, a cleansheet and a wee bit of a gap again at the top of the table! Only negative is losing Nick Locke with a bit of a strain. Hopefully not too serious and gets back in soon.

Well taken goal by Ben Davidson to win it. We really rode our luck a couple of times in first half... one horrendous miss from the Hi-Hi's... over the bar with an empty net from in 6 yard box. Signed with relief at that one. But 2nd half, aa Haddington chased the game, we actually looked quite solid and defended crossed balls well. Thought Conor Thomson had a great game, his best since joining. After Locke went off, he was the man that seemed to control midfield and moved the ball around well.

Thought we were fortunate last night to come away with three points. Not much between the two sides think the Hi-HI’s lacked that wee bit of quality up front which cost them a point. Although we were very lucky to escape a stonewall penalty in added time.  

Great result (as other results went our way) and what impressed me most is the team spirit that was missing for most of last year. Night and day of a season but a long way to go 🇵🇱🇵🇱🇵🇱

18 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Great result (as other results went our way) and what impressed me most is the team spirit that was missing for most of last year. Night and day of a season but a long way to go 🇵🇱🇵🇱🇵🇱

100% on that - can see such a difference in the teamwork and sticking through it from last season to this. Huge credit to the management for sorting that part.

I was worried with a large squad, they where going to be chopping and changing to give game time, but credit to the management, they've kept the same players in the starting 11 when they can. A settled team has been key.

Looking ahead to Deverondale, weather looks very rainy. 5 days of constant rain before hand then it gets heavier on match day. I hope if they do call it off then do so before everyone starts heading up. But then the weather forecast are never right lol