World Cup 2026

I see the proposed format of 48 teams, 
3 groups of 16, with 1st and 2nd progressing includes the idea that any group game drawn after regulation time goes straight to penalties.
Well, 3 groups of 16 would definitely be something different.

On 01/12/2022 at 17:44, Willie adie said:

3 groups of 16, with 1st and 2nd progressing includes the idea that any group game drawn after regulation time goes straight to penalties.

This was provided for in East of Scotland League championship roundrobin in 2018-19, and is currently used in East/South/West roundrobin playoff for promotion to LL... but it's far from ideal, and only really helpful in reducing chances of dead-heats.

Holding them beforehand would be madness. Whoever won would defend and play for a draw?

Surprise surprise: reports say 12-groups-of-4 will be confirmed next year, with 8 of 12 third-place progressing.

Tournament lengthened by 1 week - requires 8 matches to win, up from 7.

Better than 16-groups-of-3; but weaker entrants and all those third-place opportunities still reduce drama.

Wonder if they'll decide 4x third-place from A-F / 4x from G-L will progress... or 2x A-C / 2x D-F / 2x G-I / 2x J-L... to get knockouts underway quicker.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 12/11/2022 at 09:55, Bully Wee Villa said:

Holding the tournament in Africa was clearly a more original and interesting prospect than hosting it in the sort of country that hosts World Cups all the time. The fact that it turned out to be mostly shit doesn't alter that. It was also the right thing to do, a "World" Cup shouldn't be the preserve of countries of the wealthy global North with the odd trip to Latin America. Hopefully Africa gets an Olympics at some point, too.

Africa's never had a fucking Olympics?!  :blink:

On 02/12/2022 at 21:11, Marten said:
On 01/12/2022 at 17:44, Willie adie said:

Well, 3 groups of 16 would definitely be something different.

We've tried making that point, but the SPFL won't even consider it.

Format suggested elsewhere which I wouldn't hate is 12 groups of 4, then 8 groups of 3. Winners through to Quarter-Final. No best third place nonsense in the First Round, and no chance of teams contriving a result in Round Two because only Group Winners go through. Not perfect but better than the two likely formats under consideration, IMO.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

a fucking Olympics?!  :blink:

Finally an Olympics worth watching.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Straight to penalties after 90 minutes should be a given, is anyone against it? You'd have thought the broadcasters would be in favour too.

The commentators would be up in arms at not being able to spout their inane garbage for 30 minutes more. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Straight to penalties after 90 minutes should be a given, is anyone against it? You'd have thought the broadcasters would be in favour too.

I was thinking about that the other day, considering how knackered players can often be by the end of a tournament.

Unfortunately, I can see that making the problem of teams playing for penalties even worse. If they only need to make it through 90 minutes, I reckon a lot more sides would absolutely park the bus against the in-form top nations and figure they've got the stamina to at least make it that far.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I was thinking about that the other day, considering how knackered players can often be by the end of a tournament.

Unfortunately, I can see that making the problem of teams playing for penalties even worse. If they only need to make it through 90 minutes, I reckon a lot more sides would absolutely park the bus against the in-form top nations and figure they've got the stamina to at least make it that far.

It's a world of entertainment though, why should fans have to leave half an hour before the end to catch the last bus?

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a world of entertainment though, why should fans have to leave half an hour before the end to catch the last bus?

Wait, what time's the last bus?

Edit: is this why the The Rangers fans are always heading for the subway at four thirty?

Edited by BFTD

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

2nd go.. It might also force dominant sides to attack more instead of just passing about to keep possession, which can get really boring.

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Straight to penalties after 90 minutes should be a given

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

DizzyDecimalAndeancat-size_restricted.gi

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Why not?

It's literally the football championship of the world - not the opening rounds of the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cup.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's literally the football championship of the world - not the opening rounds of the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cup.

If it's good enough for the Highland League Cup it's good enough for the World Cup. Same applies to VARS, who needs it?

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

2nd go.. It might also force dominant sides to attack more instead of just passing about to keep possession, which can get really boring.

Are you thinking of any particular spain there?

It's possible. I think it's probably more likely to paralyse them with fear if they can't get an early goal. FIFA should give it a bash at one of the diddy tournaments they put on to make up for not being allowed to throw a World Cup every year.

I still think they should throw a warm-up micro-World Cup for the worst nations from each continent. Or maybe against the best nations never to have qualified for the real thing.

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I still think they should throw a warm-up micro-World Cup for the worst nations from each continent. Or maybe against the best nations never to have qualified for the real thing.

Well worst 2 teams in rankings met on 2002 WC Final day:

The Other Final - Wikipedia

Bhutan 4-0 Montserrat     15,000