Spartans Season 22-23

Hoofhearted

New Season -  New Hope!

So far we have signed six new players.

• Sean Brown (striker - scored 5 in 7 whilst on loan last season, and finished season at Bonnyrigg Rose)
  • Jamie Penker (Top scorer at Stirling Uni)
  • Rhys Armstrong (from Caley Braves - last years club player of the year with 10 goals and 19 assists)
  • Harvey Swan (left-back from Cowdenbeath)
  • Jordan Tapping (centre half from Stenhousemuir) and finally,
  • Gavin Morrison (midfielder from Cowdenbeath)
  •  

I still think we might need another centre half, but with most of last season's squad being retained we should be making a decent push this year.

Some uninspiring re-season games lined up as well.

25th June - Spartans v East Fife (H)

2nd July - Spartans v Threave Rovers (H)

6th July - Spartans v Hearts XI (H)

9th July - Crossgates Primrose v Spartans (A)

12th July - Musselburgh v Spartans (A)

16th July - Spartans v Brechin City (H)

I might take in a couple if work commitments allow.

The big news is Manager Dougie Samuel has been awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List. This is a fantastic achievement and testament to the phenomenal work Dougie has been doing for several years in his role with the Spartans Community Football Academy and the club. A great guy and one of the nicest managers I have met.

In the B Team votes, I am told we did not vote for the continued presence of the B teams in any of the 3 votes. 

Ainslie Park will be a quieter place this season without the FC Edinburgh boys. I look forward to seeing Tam the Bam if he follows through on the threat not to go their games.

7 hours ago, Hoofhearted said:

New Season -  New Hope!

So far we have signed six new players.

• Sean Brown (striker - scored 5 in 7 whilst on loan last season, and finished season at Bonnyrigg Rose)
  • Jamie Penker (Top scorer at Stirling Uni)
  • Rhys Armstrong (from Caley Braves - last years club player of the year with 10 goals and 19 assists)
  • Harvey Swan (left-back from Cowdenbeath)
  • Jordan Tapping (centre half from Stenhousemuir) and finally,
  • Gavin Morrison (midfielder from Cowdenbeath)
  •  

I still think we might need another centre half, but with most of last season's squad being retained we should be making a decent push this year.

Some uninspiring re-season games lined up as well.

25th June - Spartans v East Fife (H)

2nd July - Spartans v Threave Rovers (H)

6th July - Spartans v Hearts XI (H)

9th July - Crossgates Primrose v Spartans (A)

12th July - Musselburgh v Spartans (A)

16th July - Spartans v Brechin City (H)

I might take in a couple if work commitments allow.

The big news is Manager Dougie Samuel has been awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List. This is a fantastic achievement and testament to the phenomenal work Dougie has been doing for several years in his role with the Spartans Community Football Academy and the club. A great guy and one of the nicest managers I have met.

In the B Team votes, I am told we did not vote for the continued presence of the B teams in any of the 3 votes. 

Ainslie Park will be a quieter place this season without the FC Edinburgh boys. I look forward to seeing Tam the Bam if he follows through on the threat not to go their games.

If you didn't vote for the Colts you never know, Hoofy ;)

Save us a Bridie...

Do Spartans still have Blair Henderson and Alan Smith?  Any other ex City players there next season?

I think CSS have got Lairdy and Conrad? don't know who else is famililar?

Finally  is it likely Spartans will challenge for the title next season?  EK look strong, not sure who else?

Edited by Tenkay
b*****d Typo!... Idiot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2022 at 22:58, Tenkay said:

Do Spartans still have Blair Henderson and Alan Smith?  Any other ex City players there next season?

I think CSS have got Lairdy and Conrad? don't know who else is famililar?

Finally  is it likely Spartans will challenge for the title next season?  EK look strong, not sure who else?

Other ex-city players are Ian McFarland (Subo) who is captain and Sam Newman who has gone on loan to Cowden. Gary Jardine at CSS has a few ex-City players with Balatoni & Guthrie as well.

I am hoping for a title challenge this year with the extra teams the squad needs to be about 20-22 in number. Although we have the U20s to help out I still think we need another centre half. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might pop along on Saturday to see Spartans take on Dalbeattie Star for my fix this weekend... Not been to Ainslie Park since, well, last season for obvious reasons.

It looks like it's been a tough start for Spartans in terms of their hopes to challenge.

6 hours ago, Pete83 said:

Might pop along on Saturday to see Spartans take on Dalbeattie Star for my fix this weekend... Not been to Ainslie Park since, well, last season for obvious reasons.

It looks like it's been a tough start for Spartans in terms of their hopes to challenge.

I was at Ainslie on Sunday. Pies are still good :lol:

• 6 months later...

If you count the C Division the last time Edinburgh had 4 teams in the Scottish League was 1949.

So good luck to Spartans. 

(Edinburgh actually had 5 League teams in the 1930s. We need now to either annex Bonnyrigg to Greater Edinburgh or have a millionaire take over Strollers)

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

We need now to either annex Bonnyrigg to Greater Edinburgh 

No. Just no. 😬

Very well done to Spartans, I said a few weeks ago that I thought they had a great chance to do it. So consistent in the last few months.

I plan to be there on Saturday to see Cowdenbeath spoil the title winning party 😉

Edited by Cowdenleith

Hi, EK has already sent direct and personal messages to Spartans.  Hope everyone in the LL gets behind the first ever winners of the inaugural League ( when even play off spot wasn't on offer) and they go on and do the full business.  Had so many great games with them over the years , good club,  good people and good luck.

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

I’m told that The Spartans in last year or two formed a limited company separate from the Spartans Community Club.

Anyone know the background on that and why ?

I don't know the the reasons behind the creation or background of "The Spartans Football Club Limited" that was incorporated in July 2020 and appears to have become active in January 2021.  However, "The Spartans Community Football Academy" retains a "golden share" in the new company, which appears to give it effective control.

As of April last year the accounts for the new company submitted to Companies House described it as "dormant".

Edited by Footballfirst

It makes sense for any half-serious football club to structure itself as a limited company - in fact it would be foolish not to.

If they don't, the individual club members would be responsible for the club's debts if it all goes belly-up. Not something that could ever happen in Scottish football, of course ...