Spartans Season 22-23

Hoofhearted

2 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

It makes sense for any half-serious football club to structure itself as a limited company - in fact it would be foolish not to.

If they don't, the individual club members would be responsible for the club's debts if it all goes belly-up. Not something that could ever happen in Scottish football, of course ...

And the individual club members then get told to sod off when some chancer takes over the limited company.

On an entirely different note it was said when Edinburgh City became a limited company it was a requirement of Scottish League membership so maybe Spartans were just getting their ducks in a row at the time 

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

And the individual club members then get told to sod off when some chancer takes over the limited company.

On an entirely different note it was said when Edinburgh City became a limited company it was a requirement of Scottish League membership so maybe Spartans were just getting their ducks in a row at the time 

Not sure of it being an SPFL rule don’t think Stranraer are a limited company if so they changed recently.

Sure Brechin just changed to one at the start of last season after their restructure after relegation.

As for someone taking over don’t let them get a majority shareholding.

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The chancer can only take over the company if the majority of the shareholders (or "members") sell him their shares. 

Sometimes that's a straightforward decision - a large cheque versus a continuing (small) part in the company. Probably more often, they're convinced that the chancer can secure a better future for the club.

On 13/04/2023 at 08:18, cowdenbeath said:

Not sure of it being an SPFL rule don’t think Stranraer are a limited company if so they changed recently.

Stranraer have always been a members' club. This does have the disadvantage that debts can’t be walked away from via administration, as has been done by some other clubs companies. 

Edited by EdinburghBlue

Really happy Spartans are champions.  Given the resources and £ of the B teams this is actually a very impressive outcome. As an aside it is a poke in the eye to those who consistently demean the standard of our League.  Today we drew 1-1  with Tranent in a very exciting and enjoyable game. We should be much more proactive in setting out our stall. The Lowland League is a very good and well run League.  

Thanks to all who sent congratulations.  I didn't want to come on last week and preempt anything.

We have achieved 2 of 5 objectives. 

Play off - tick

Lowland League- tick

HL play off -tbc

Club 42 play off - tbc

South Challenge Cup tbc

I suspect it will be the main squad on Tuesday v the Braves, but next Saturday lots of 20s will play v Berwick. Hopefully 10 days rest will help before the game on 29th.

13 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Congrats on the win.

Am I right one saying if Brechin win midweek it’s a title decider on Saturday between Buckie and Brechin. What an end to the season, that 10 day break could really give you the advantage! Good luck!

Aye if Brechin win it’s a big showdown next Saturday.

51 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Congrats on the win.

Am I right one saying if Brechin win midweek it’s a title decider on Saturday between Buckie and Brechin. What an end to the season, that 10 day break could really give you the advantage! Good luck!

Brechin win or draw on Wednesday and it is a title decider on Saturday. A draw would put Brechin 3 points behind Buckie with Brechin having the superior goal difference.

14 hours ago, Hoofhearted said:

Thanks to all who sent congratulations.  I didn't want to come on last week and preempt anything.

We have achieved 2 of 5 objectives. 

Play off - tick

Lowland League- tick

HL play off -tbc

Club 42 play off - tbc

South Challenge Cup tbc

I suspect it will be the main squad on Tuesday v the Braves, but next Saturday lots of 20s will play v Berwick. Hopefully 10 days rest will help before the game on 29th.

I'm not sure about the break being particularly beneficial Hoofy. Maybe good to give the players a rest, especially if there's niggling injuries, but sometimes you lose momentum.

I have a vague memory of Gary arranging a friendly for City when we were between games going into the play-offs.

Anyway get it up thae mutton molester league winners

3 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Congrats on the win.

Am I right one saying if Brechin win midweek it’s a title decider on Saturday between Buckie and Brechin...

Only need to beat Keith now to set that up but having to play that game means they won't be as fresh as Buckie for the big game next Saturday. Elgin winning yesterday was a big blow to Dalbeattie Star's possible lifeline on avoiding relegation. Albion Rovers need two results in three games to catch them now with probable champions Stirling Albion as their last fixture while Elgin will play Bonnyrigg Rose in their last game.

Well done Spartans.

Thought it was funny when all the kids ran out of the mini pitch cage behind the goals to celebrate with the players at the corner flag when Henderson scored and the young team all ran from the far end of the stand to join in.

24 minutes ago, PELE said:

Well done Spartans.

Thought it was funny when all the kids ran out of the mini pitch cage behind the goals to celebrate with the players at the corner flag when Henderson scored and the young team all ran from the far end of the stand to join in.

The young team were sitting just along from me.

It was quite funny when they just all started to run along to that end at the goal.

As I’ve said many times before lots of clubs claim to be community clubs but Spartans are the real deal.