The Queen of the South thread

Yeah clearly the comparison with Reilly was due to them playing the same position and breaking through at a similar time.

Clark got all the fanfare due to the number of goals he scored in our record breaking season, but Reilly was always higher thought of amongst our support, and a far better all round player. Even though it is highly probable that Reilly would have moved to Rangers given the same opportunity as Clark, I still like to look at the two as an example of a sensible career path versus a money motivated moron. Clark must have been deluded to think he would get any game time at Rangers. He has effectively knocked his career back three years in arguably the three most important years of his footballing life. He's hardly the first to make this mistake as well. The fact his father actively encouraged him to make this move is baffling and hilarious in equal measure. The fact a promising young player would rather swap game time for the "kudos" of playing for a big team and earning a lot of money is probably why our national team is so distinctly average. QUOTE

Is it honestly being suggested that Nicky Clark should have turned down a greatly enhanced contract with Rangers to stay another season at Queens? No young playerin their right mind would nave done that.

The wages that are on offer at our level of full time football are modest to say the least just ask Stephen McKenna and Paul Burns.

Nicky Clark was flavour of the month after his great season with us - if it hadn't been Rangers there was no shortage of interest from English League 1 teams who would no doubt have offered similar terms to Rangers.

IMHO Nicky Clark gave everything for our team in terms of effort and commitment and his goals record in the promotion year was exceptional. Don't understand why he is viewed negatively on this thread. It is hardly his fault that Rangers over estimated his abilities. I suspect that he will get a decent move away from Ibrox probably to a League 1 club in England.

He could have stayed on with us - got injured or had a poor next season. Opportunity missed with no future upside on the horizon.

Is it honestly being suggested that Nicky Clark should have turned down a greatly enhanced contract with Rangers to stay another season at Queens? No young playerin their right mind would nave done that.

The wages that are on offer at our level of full time football are modest to say the least just ask Stephen McKenna and Paul Burns.

Nicky Clark was flavour of the month after his great season with us - if it hadn't been Rangers there was no shortage of interest from English League 1 teams who would no doubt have offered similar terms to Rangers.

IMHO Nicky Clark gave everything for our team in terms of effort and commitment and his goals record in the promotion year was exceptional. Don't understand why he is viewed negatively on this thread. It is hardly his fault that Rangers over estimated his abilities. I suspect that he will get a decent move away from Ibrox probably to a League 1 club in England.

He could have stayed on with us - got injured or had a poor next season. Opportunity missed with no future upside on the horizon.

I don't think anyone grudged him his move. Was it the correct decision is what I think is being discussed. Clark chose to stay in the same (mediocre quality at best) division and go where the money was rather than move to a division where he would be tested. Saying a League 1 team would have offered him a deal isn't helping your case tbh. Had an English League 1 team offered him a deal it would have been a great move for him. He would have been going to a far higher quality league than our League 1 (and Championship tbh) and it would surely have only benefitted him. Certainly a far better option than sitting on the bench for The Rangers in a poor league. Clark was yet to prove himself at a decent level. Did he (or anyone) really think he'd have been given the time by The Rangers to find his feet? At a club like that he wouldn't have had the luxury of having 3 or 4 bad games in a row. How do you develop properly in those circumstances? A year at Championship level would surely have only benefitted him. He went where the money was and where has it got him? Reilly chose to stick around and develop further. Where has it got him?

When Clark left I said at the time that once The Rangers got back to the Premier League, Clark would be released and no doubt fade away into obscurity. My only surprise is that they've released him this quckly.

Clark is only out of our league financially. Ability wise he's still yet to prove he's too good for a club like us, IMO.

ame="Rjc-1988" post="10108105" timestamp="1452975791"]

I don't think anyone grudged him his move. Was it the correct decision is what I think is being discussed. Clark chose to stay in the same (mediocre quality at best) division and go where the money was rather than move to a division where he would be tested. Saying a League 1 team would have offered him a deal isn't helping your case tbh. Had an English League 1 team offered him a deal it would have been a great move for him. He would have been going to a far higher quality league than our League 1 (and Championship tbh) and it would surely have only benefitted him. Certainly a far better option than sitting on the bench for The Rangers in a poor league. Clark was yet to prove himself at a decent level. Did he (or anyone) really think he'd have been given the time by The Rangers to find his feet? At a club like that he wouldn't have had the luxury of having 3 or 4 bad games in a row. How do you develop properly in those circumstances? A year at Championship level would surely have only benefitted him. He went where the money was and where has it got him? Reilly chose to stick around and develop further. Where has it got him?

When Clark left I said at the time that once The Rangers got back to the Premier League, Clark would be released and no doubt fade away into obscurity. My only surprise is that they've released him this quckly.

Clark is only out of our league financially. Ability wise he's still yet to prove he's too good for a club like us, IMO.

Did Reilly really choose to stick around?

Did he have lots of tempting options to do otherwise until last summer?

Did Reilly really choose to stick around?Did he have lots of tempting options to do otherwise until last summer?

I don't know. Either way though he was at our level and it clearly benefitted him. Clark chose to stick at a poor level with a high probability of watching most games from the bench rather than stick with a team where he'd have almost guaranteed himself a start. Short term gain financially though ;)

I don't know. Either way though he was at our level and it clearly benefitted him. Clark chose to stick at a poor level with a high probability of watching most games from the bench rather than stick with a team where he'd have almost guaranteed himself a start. Short term gain financially though ;)

Nah, I think this is a bit daft.

Staying at Queens in those circumstances would have been bonkers.

Nah, I think this is a bit daft.Staying at Queens in those circumstances would have been bonkers.

FWIW I'm not meaning he should have stayed with us as such, more that he went in the wrong direction when it came to the level he was playing at. A move to English League 1 or even a move to one of the bigger clubs in Scottish Championship would have been a better move for him. He chose financial gain over football development. He got his big bucks move but where has he ended up development wise? He's still only a Scottish League 1 proven striker. I doubt clubs will be falling over themselves to get him signed. As I said earlier, he's out of our league financially I'd imagine but he's not even close to being out of our league when it comes to ability.

FWIW I'm not meaning he should have stayed with us as such, more that he went in the wrong direction when it came to the level he was playing at. A move to English League 1 or even a move to one of the bigger clubs in Scottish Championship would have been a better move for him. He chose financial gain over football development. He got his big bucks move but where has he ended up development wise? He's still only a Scottish League 1 proven striker. I doubt clubs will be falling over themselves to get him signed. As I said earlier, he's out of our league financially I'd imagine but he's not even close to being out of our league when it comes to ability.

I wouldn't disagree with the last bit. I also see why a move to England might have made more sense, were an attractive one on offer.

However, in some ways, joining Rangers made football sense. It wasn't unreasonable for him to hope to be a regular starter if performing. He also already knew that he could get a lot of goals if playing for a dominant side in that division.

For me, the reality is that he's not a great footballer, but he did have a sustained purple patch at one point. This netted him plenty money and the chance to play for the very big club that he supported.

I'm not convinced that his development would have necessarily soared had he taken an alternative route.

I might have my facts wrong but James Mccarthy and mcarthur who now play fairly consistently in premier league did they not chose to stay that extra season or two at Hamilton to develop and look where they are now.

Scott alan probably a decent player who may replace scott brown for Scotland. He chose to not stay at hibs and go help warm the celtic bench.

Is there not or should there be a rule on young players completing say 100-150 games for a club before making the obvious big money transfer.

I rate young Marshall and think he could well go on to play spl or better. But if we could keep hold of him for say 3 season it would really help him develop his own game and get him a better move than the rangers or celtic bench.

I might have my facts wrong but James Mccarthy and mcarthur who now play fairly consistently in premier league did they not chose to stay that extra season or two at Hamilton to develop and look where they are now.

Scott alan probably a decent player who may replace scott brown for Scotland. He chose to not stay at hibs and go help warm the celtic bench.

Is there not or should there be a rule on young players completing say 100-150 games for a club before making the obvious big money transfer.

I rate young Marshall and think he could well go on to play spl or better. But if we could keep hold of him for say 3 season it would really help him develop his own game and get him a better move than the rangers or celtic bench.

I'm guessing that a better move than to an OF bench three years hence, would be a fantastically upward step for a Queens player.

I dread to think of the length of odds, Northfield would offer on such a thing happening for Marshall.

Mccarthy was head and shoulders above anyone in the league, at that time even at 17 years old .

John Sutton is a very slow striker probably faster than Derek Holmes but only just.

Undoubtedly has a decent scoring record but no surprise that he can no longer get a game in Premier League.

Not one that I would pursue - would much rather we tried to find a progressive younger striker with pace but not easy to get them.

Time will tell but he is the type that has to be scoring goals because unlike say Derek Lyle he does not link the play terribly well.

I think John Sutton would be a class signing. Scored goals everywhere he's been and that's what we're needing. We had numerous chances against Dumbarton someone like him would work the keeper rather than taking too many touches.

I'd be delighted if this happens

Queen's looking at getting St Johnstone striker John Sutton on loan for rest of season.

This would be a fantastic loan signing. Queens have a link-up with the Perth club with Zander Clark being with Queens previously on loan of course.

This would be a fantastic loan signing. Queens have a link-up with the Perth club with Zander Clark being with Queens previously on loan of course.

We've also played bounce games against them twice in the last 6 months (losing 5-1 each time) which suggests there is a good relationship there.

We've also played bounce games against them twice in the last 6 months (losing 5-1 each time) which suggests there is a good relationship there.

No wonder if we're letting them cuff us on a regular basis! That's surely worth another Dobbie...

I can't say the prospect of John Sutton particularly excites me. I'm very much on the fence on that one. Fowler's record of signing strikers is a concern. Two huge misses in Heffernan and the pointless Coogans, and the jury is very much out on Oliver as well. Hilson looks like he'll be a hit at least.