The Queen of the South thread

8 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Pish football manager and an absolute p***k of a guy. Having to listen to his shite every week about how bad our budget is etc etc is night and day in comparison to how positive Bartley is about us.

First time around though with a good budget he got us promoted, won a cup and was manager of the year. Shame it went so wrong second time around. He is definitely a manager who needs a healthy budget. Not sure that he was very warm either in terms of relationships 

Just now, HighlandQueen said:

First time around though with a good budget he got us promoted, won a cup and was manager of the year. Shame it went so wrong second time around. He is definitely a manager who needs a healthy budget. Not sure that he was very warm either in terms of relationships 

By the way Lewis Strapp released by Morton. Strong defender with a long throw who always impressed. Also Josh Gemmell a youth player who scored for fun at Cappielow. 

11 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Watching the Thistle game and can’t stop thinking that AJ doesn’t deserve another job in football for the way he treated Fitzpatrick

Aye, Fitzpatrick's been good over the playoffs and that first goal last night was just a filthy bit of skill start to finish - straight from page 1, chapter 1, paragraph 1 of "Fitba, the Dobbie Way" by the maestro ...

I keep wondering (as I did at the time) if we might have avoided relegation had Fitzy stayed fit in the final quarter of that season instead of pulling his hamstring celebrating a goal.  All ifs and buts of course - if we had stayed up, it would probably have just temporarily papered over the cracks of what was a poor squad for that level.

9 hours ago, QoS99 said:

... Having to listen to his shite every week about how bad our budget is etc etc is night and day in comparison to how positive Bartley is about us.

I used to feel so depressed listening to his whinging post match interviews, god knows what the players thought ...

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

By the way Lewis Strapp released by Morton. Strong defender with a long throw who always impressed. Also Josh Gemmell a youth player who scored for fun at Cappielow. 

Always liked Strapp tbh. Wouldn't be too fussed about the long throw mind you. Paul McKay has a long throw as well and we've made almost little use of it when he was on throw ins. 

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Always liked Strapp tbh. Wouldn't be too fussed about the long throw mind you. Paul McKay has a long throw as well and we've made almost little use of it when he was on throw ins. 

Be aiming higher than league one 

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Work with a Morton season book holder who said Strapp is defensively hopeless.

My mate is a Ton fan and gutted that Strapp was freed. I know Josh Gemmell’s Dad and they were at a loss what the kid had to do to get a contract as he was banging them in for fun at youth level. I see Alston now available too. Always liked him at Falkirk but probably wants Championship. I have faith in MB and hope he finds some new or forgotten gems rather than the journeymen we have had to endure last two seasons. Like everyone else eager to hear some signing news as squad back on 12th for fitness tests, I guess training starts on 19th and first friendly a few weeks thereafter. We need to be patient but in the other hand time is of the essence

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

He should have been playing 4-4-2 when he had Dobbie at his disposal but instead decided to go with a system that completely hindered our biggest threat - playing Dobbie up top himself. 

The fanny. 

Indeed. 

5 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

For the team he had I  reckon 95% of Scottish football league managers would have got the same out of that group of players

Edited by QoS99

There's a fair bit of revisionism going on here. AJ got a bit lucky in his first full season with Covid removing the question as to whether we could stay ahead of Partick Thistle / catch Alloa. Form certainly wasn't good at the time but the first half of the season before El Bakhtouai went to Morocco and Brownlie to Thistle was pretty good. It was a post January collapse that did for us. His 2nd full season was fine and if Izzy Jones hadn't done his hamstring at Arbroath with quarter of the season to go I think he may well have got us into the promotion playoffs. As much as I love him unhealthily Dobbie was done by then and scored only one goal in open play all season. The notion he was under-used or used wrongly is daft. The 2nd half of the season with Mebude, Jones and Shields up top was exciting stuff until Jones got injured and Mebude's Covid ban hit.

3rd season absolutely didn't work and, in hindsight, should maybe have seen him changed a few weeks earlier, but a lower division team needing a manager could do an awful lot worse than talk to Allan Johnston.

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's a fair bit of revisionism going on here. AJ got a bit lucky in his first full season with Covid removing the question as to whether we could stay ahead of Partick Thistle / catch Alloa. Form certainly wasn't good at the time but the first half of the season before El Bakhtouai went to Morocco and Brownlie to Thistle was pretty good. It was a post January collapse that did for us. His 2nd full season was fine and if Izzy Jones hadn't done his hamstring at Arbroath with quarter of the season to go I think he may well have got us into the promotion playoffs. As much as I love him unhealthily Dobbie was done by then and scored only one goal in open play all season. The notion he was under-used or used wrongly is daft. The 2nd half of the season with Mebude, Jones and Shields up top was exciting stuff until Jones got injured and Mebude's Covid ban hit.

3rd season absolutely didn't work and, in hindsight, should maybe have seen him changed a few weeks earlier, but a lower division team needing a manager could do an awful lot worse than talk to Allan Johnston.

I remember El Bakhtaoui being a joy to watch in that 4-0 win over Dundee United. 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Aye certainly a fair amount of revisionism in that post SD. We absolutely would have went down if Covid hadn't intervened. We still had to play Thistle on their patch and there wasn't a chance in hell we were beating them. 

Like you I love Dobbie but even in his prime he couldn't play the lone striker role. He was left isolated most weeks under AJ and was absolutely useless as a result. He was getting on aye but if he was given chances I think he'd still have taken them. No chance he was going to get them playing up front alone especially when you take into account his best spells for us were when he had a big man beside him doing the dog work. 

I think there's a reason he's still out of a job. The next job he'll get he'll need a healthy budget or he'll undoubtedly fail. 

Edited by 19QOS19

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye certainly a fair amount of revisionism in that post SD. We absolutely would have went down if Covid hadn't intervened. We still had to play Thistle on their patch and there wasn't a chance in hell we were beating them. 

Like you I love Dobbie but even in his prime he couldn't play the lone striker role. He was left isolated most weeks under AJ and was absolutely useless as a result. He was getting on aye but if he was given chances I think he'd still have taken them. No chance he was going to get them playing up front alone especially when you take into account his best spells for us were when he had a big man beside him doing the dog work. 

I think there's a reason he's still out of a job. The next job he'll get he'll need a healthy budget or he'll undoubtedly fail. 

You're in no position to state with certainty we were going down and Thistle hadn't won a game in months either. Either way it doesn't change the fact that prior to Faiss and Brownlie unexpectedly leaving we were doing fine.  For what it's worth by the way, not that one game would necessarily have defined it, but the remaining game with Thistle was at Palmerston, not Firhill. We drew at Firhill 2 weeks before we shut down.

I don't recall Dobbie being left isolated in that 1st season under AJ particularly. He played alongside Jack Hamilton for a fair bit of it. The second one he was done, and I think if fans had actually been in grounds there would be more recognition of that. If Johnston can be criticised for anything it's the 3rd season, the one he actually did get sacked in, and that's nothing to do with Dobbie as he'd gone by then.

10 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I keep wondering (as I did at the time) if we might have avoided relegation had Fitzy stayed fit in the final quarter of that season instead of pulling his hamstring celebrating a goal.  

Did he not hurt himself in the process of scoring a goal, rather than celebrating one?

Dobbie, on the other hand, did manage to do just that, against Thistle, funnily enough.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did he not hurt himself in the process of scoring a goal, rather than celebrating one?

Well, you know how fabulous my memory is MT, but I was pretty sure it was when he wheeled away to celebrate cos I remember my immediate reaction ... "oh bloody marvellous luck ... or words to that effect ..."

5 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I remember El Bakhtaoui being a joy to watch in that 4-0 win over Dundee United. 

He had that United defence on toast that day ...

17 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, you know how fabulous my memory is MT, but I was pretty sure it was when he wheeled away to celebrate cos I remember my immediate reaction ... "oh bloody marvellous luck ... or words to that effect ..."

I am not 100% but am sure he burst a gut, and I guess a hamstring, getting to a pass he had no right getting to and scoring.

Like I say, not 100% sure.

Hardly matters really but I do wonder how different it would have been had he not picked up and injury. 

Edited by Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army