The Queen of the South thread

42 minutes ago, jakeyman said:

Pots announced for the League cup group stage. Who do we fancy ahead of the draw tomorrow?

League cup seeding pots

We don't definitely know how fixtures will work yet but I assume we're likely to be home to Pot 1, away to Pot 2. As such then I'm not sure it makes that much odds what Pot 1 team. Killie or Motherwell would likely bring biggest support here. If we were away then those two are also easiest to get to. Motherwell are probably the stronger side though so I'll take Kilmarnock.

Appreciate we will share a division with them but Accies look obviously the weakest side in Pot 3 so I'd take them.

Suspect Dumbarton or Clyde will be weakest in Pot 4 and both easy to get to if we're away midweek.

Selfishly I want Bonnyrigg in Pot 5 as we've never played them. Ideally away as I've never been there and will complete the SPFL set again if we're there. I don't want Stenny or the possibility of travel to Elgin again. Anyone else would be fine. [Edit - maybe not away to Brechin either actually]

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

The new pitch although not finished is looking good. 

IMG_1701.jpeg

I wonder now there are clear lines on the park if it'll stop the dafties in our support from screaming at the linesman when he gets a clear offside decision correct. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wonder now there are clear lines on the park if it'll stop the dafties in our support from screaming at the linesman when he gets a clear offside decision correct. 

Those lines won't be there once the crumb is added and brushed in. You're seeing the actual seams where they've joined rolls at the moment.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Made one of the best saves I’ve ever seen live away to Alloa. A real fans favourite. 

I remember that, Dobrowski is class , glad he is  off out of here  🙂

12 hours ago, qos_75 said:

The new pitch although not finished is looking good. 

IMG_1701.jpeg

Not enjoying the different widths of dark and light stripes. Couldn't they use the same mower for both directions?

48 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Folk really will moan about anything 

I'd have thought my use of the word mowers would have hinted that I wasn't being serious. 

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

Not enjoying the different widths of dark and light stripes. Couldn't they use the same mower for both directions?

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Folk really will moan about anything 

I think that is commonly referred to as a “whoosh”

Group G 

Motherwell, Queens Park, East Fife, Elgin City

The top sides could have been worse. Played Motherwell, QP and Elgin fairly recently in cups so it's slightly meh but if our recruitment is right we have a wee chance of second spot I think. Hope we're at home to Elgin this time as that's pretty shite to be away again but I think it'll be away again? 

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Group G 

Motherwell, Queens Park, East Fife, Elgin City

The top sides could have been worse. Played Motherwell, QP and Elgin fairly recently in cups so it's slightly meh but if our recruitment is right we have a wee chance of second spot I think. Hope we're at home to Elgin this time as that's pretty shite to be away again but I think it'll be away again? 

They haven't confirmed this season's fixture formula yet but if it follows last season's pattern we'll be home to Motherwell and East Fife and away to Queen's Park and Elgin.

Clearly Elgin's far from ideal for an away game. Costly for the club and inconvenient for the fans.

Queen's Park will also be problematic I'd guess. They've announced this morning they are moving to Hampden from September but will use Lesser Hampden until then. Presumably that puts us at Lesser with a capacity of something like 700 - 800 I think. It's a league cup group game so unlikely to be a major draw but it might be the first open door game at the new Lesser Hampden so likely to have big groundhopper demand. It will also be Queen's Park's first home game in about 2 years so could have a big demand from their fans. I'd imagine we might take a couple of hundred if it's a Saturday. Might be all ticket.

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They haven't confirmed this season's fixture formula yet but if it follows last season's pattern we'll be home to Motherwell and East Fife and away to Queen's Park and Elgin.

Clearly Elgin's far from ideal for an away game. Costly for the club and inconvenient for the fans.

Queen's Park will also be problematic I'd guess. They've announced this morning they are moving to Hampden from September but will use Lesser Hampden until then. Presumably that puts us at Lesser with a capacity of something like 700 - 800 I think. It's a league cup group game so unlikely to be a major draw but it might be the first open door game at the new Lesser Hampden so likely to have big groundhopper demand. It will also be Queen's Park's first home game in about 2 years so could have a big demand from their fans. I'd imagine we might take a couple of hundred if it's a Saturday. Might be all ticket.

I was rather hoping that the game with East Fife would be away and that QP were still playing at Larbert as both a relatively easy journey for me. C’est La vie. 

Apart from Motherwell, none of the teams I really wanted tbh. Will Queens Park push on from last season or fall away? As 19QOS19 says, decent chance of 2nd in the group if Bartley recruits decently. Still a feel of pre-season preparation about these games though. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Have we not asked to get our first few games away just in case the  Pamly pitch is not ready .