The Queen of the South thread

49 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

I could be wrong but does the compensation take into account the players performances as well? Big difference between Paton and Fitzpatrick in goals scored so can’t really compare the 2? 

Dunno - hopefully SD will be along soon to clarify this point as he is probably the poster with the best actual knowledge on this.

At a guess, I would doubt that player performance is a big factor in "compensation" - it probably more reflects the costs for the development/training/coaching work invested by the host club in the player for the period of time in question, so would doubt that big figures are likely.  As I said though, SD should hopefully clarify this.

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Dunno - hopefully SD will be along soon to clarify this point as he is probably the poster with the best actual knowledge on this.

At a guess, I would doubt that player performance is a big factor in "compensation" - it probably more reflects the costs for the development/training/coaching work invested by the host club in the player for the period of time in question, so would doubt that big figures are likely.  As I said though, SD should hopefully clarify this.

Yeah I don’t think player performance would get us anything significantly higher as it’s obviously not a transfer fee. I do wonder though if it plays a small roll in how much we can negotiate for compensation - and if it does then it’d be higher than what we got for Fitzpatrick if the 10k figure quoted is to be believed.

23 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I would think performance has nothing to do with it to be honest. We have only given Paton 2 years development in his career the same as Fitzpatrick. The difference would be if the club was to ask for say 50k(they can ask for whatever they want) and a club was only willing to pay 10k then it would go to a transfer tribunal similar to Lewis Ferguson going to Aberdeen from Hamilton. But he was at Hamilton for a bit longer. Fitzpatrick went for about 10k it was reported last summer. It will be interesting to see how much we get when he goes.

@Artemis has got this covered already but it's (directly) got nothing whatsoever to do with performance. It's compensation for amounts invested in training so it's all to do with the costs, either squad related, or player specific, you can justify and the size of the squad, therefore the percentage of those costs that can be allocated to the actual player. Of course they do take into account things like number of games and verifiable offers from other clubs so it's not as simple as a straight allocation of costs. Also whether there was a fee paid in acquiring the player in the first place (we did agree a compensation package for Paton with Stranraer when signed).

Of course none of that matters if the two clubs come to an amicable agreement on a compensation fee. Basically domestically the club looking to sign the player normally makes some sort of offer, the club holding compensation rights makes a counter suggestion and they meet somewhere between. We agreed a fee with Partick Thistle for Aidan Fitzpatrick last year. If clubs cannot agree a fee they will head to a Tribunal for it to be set by a third party, which is what happened in relation to Josh Rae to Airdrie.

The system is different if FIFA get involved in a cross border transfer, and different again since we left the EU. There was a set formula for the EU depending on deemed costs and divisions of the respective teams in the transfer. However, we're no longer in the EU and will be subject to the standard world rules..............

Edited by Skyline Drifter

41 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Stephen Hendri e left back,   ex Tbistle and Hami!ton, do you guys rate him

Very much on fence, thought he started decent then had a ropey spell, always seemed to have a f**k up in him. Then Bartley took charge thought he stepped up a wee bit again

12 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Very much on fence, thought he started decent then had a ropey spell, always seemed to have a f**k up in him. Then Bartley took charge thought he stepped up a wee bit again

I agree. I actually expected more from a former £1mish player. The back pass at home to Alloa was costly and end of season red mist moment didnt endear him to me. I think he is replaceable.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

When we signed Hendrie a Thistle supporting colleague of mine said he was sorry to see him go, that he was solid, reliable and would run through brick walls for the team. As others have replied here, whilst he was basically OK for us, there was the odd costly mistake - which makes me think that the higher Championship level might just be a stretch too far for him now ... but he's not a disaster though.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Definitely 'meh' for me. If he stayed I wouldn't be gutted and equally I won't care if he goes. Has a decent engine on him and gets forward really well but isn't always great positionally and cost us a few goals last season. 

Hoping MB has someone better in mind tbh but wouldn't be a terrible signing for yourselves. 

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Echo what others said about him on here. Always thought his attitude seemed a bit questionable, from arguing with team mates on a few occasions and the fact he’s barely done a pre season in the last 3/4 years by signing for a team late on in August.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Definitely 'meh' for me. If he stayed I wouldn't be gutted and equally I won't care if he goes. Has a decent engine on him and gets forward really well but isn't always great positionally and cost us a few goals last season. 

Hoping MB has someone better in mind tbh but wouldn't be a terrible signing for yourselves. 

^^^^ Very much this. Can look good going forward and has a good shot on him but not really consistent enough.  Maybe played  carrying an injury in mid season so don't want to be too hard but had a couple of 'mares. 

Wish him all the best, really liked him but he’ll certainly not be back to Palmerston next season. We’re definitely sorted in the goalkeeper department. 

Imagine he’ll find himself a decent club as he’s a good keeper. 

In the pitch update it says the shock absorbers have been  inspected but does not  say replaced which surely should be done.

No good a new pitch on old done shock absorbers .

It is like laying a new carpet on poor underlay .

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

I think Leicester in 15/16 was the last time I wanted another team to win a league as much as I want you fellas to steamroll L1 next year.

That's very decent of you, cheers.  I'd really like to think (prior to seeing our squad for next season) that we'll be competitive, but I'm pretty sure we'll not be steamrolling anything.