The Queen of the South thread

54 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Sounds pretty like for like with Connor Murray. Who performance wise was very meh, but his actual numbers were pretty decent, if we can get similar numbers from McGuffie will be pleased tbh. 

Aye I suppose. I have to admit "decent left peg", "he scored one of the best goals I've seen" and "not an ounce of pace" describe Ryan Conroy for me... 

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's always wise when you're trying to be a smartarse to ensure you quote the right person m8. 

Stick-on the latter. Fully expecting McMahon or Muir. 

Would be happy enough with Connelly, Kabia or McGrory without being blown away. 

Don't expect East or Paton to be back. 

Stand corrected.

5 hours ago, Swarley said:

Just skim reading the last few pages. We've signed a striker who doesn't score goals, and a centre back who can't defend? Does that summarise it?

And a midfielder who can’t run!

Edited by QoS99

McGuffie has perfected the art, and Falkirk fans have seen a lot of this recently, of looking like he is working off the ball, but never actually disposseses anyone. That's what annoyed me most about him. Other teams midfielders bypass him like he isn't even there leaving large gaps in the middle of the park and allowing teams to run right at your back 4. He was never alone in that of late but he was very much one of the worst offenders. 

You'll have seen his goals v Peterhead off the bench though. So if you get one of them in an otherwise meaningless season, you'll enjoy it briefly at least 🤷

8 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Seems like Marv is going to have to prove an awful lot of people wrong on his signings! It’s certainly going to be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Pre-season last year I was very confident we'd do well (think I even had us down for 1st). I'll be honest, so far I'm not confident at all (other than in the manager's ability) so I'm hoping for an opposite outcome again. 

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pre-season last year I was very confident we'd do well (think I even had us down for 1st). I'll be honest, so far I'm not confident at all (other than in the manager's ability) so I'm hoping for an opposite outcome again. 

That’s how I’m feeling, never been so flat after signings. So hoping for a positive outcome

Be interesting to see what Marvin can do with the players who've been slated by fans of their previous clubs - a chance for the players and Marvin to prove folk wrong - a test for all concerned.

Looking at the squad, the biggest worry seems to be up front - I'm not seeing a load of goals in our options so far.  Connelly's extension was a plus certainly, but for various reasons he wasn't very effective last season (barring a "worldy" scored in darkest Govan) and he'll need to up his game next season.  I think we need a quality addition here and I'm sure Marvin will try to move on Reilly if at all possible as he's clearly not in his plans and isn't the player he once was.  I can't see Paton coming back, although I'd like to be surprised on that one.

Edited by Otis Blue

12 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm surprised that someone as negative about the Club as you are bothers to support it at all. Have you ever posted anything positive? You don't like Hewitson,   we get it. 

Are you just proud to be a happy clapper ? 

Any other club and this board would have been chased out of town for the shambles of the last few seasons. 

Least I'm still here unlike hoards of others including die hards who have ditched the club. 

Just now, Kunter said:

Are you just proud to be a happy clapper ? 

Any other club and this board would have been chased out of town for the shambles of the last few seasons. 

Least I'm still here unlike hoards of others including die hards who have ditched the club. 

I don't think there are any happy clappers on this board tbh. There's a mountain of difference between being a happy clapper and someone who sees absolutely nothing positive to comment on. 

55 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Be interesting to see what Marvin can do with the players who've been slated by fans of their previous clubs - a chance for the players and Marvin to prove folk wrong - a test for all concerned.

Looking at the squad, the biggest worry seems to be up front - I'm not seeing a load of goals in our options so far.  Connelly's extension was a plus certainly, but for various reasons he wasn't very effective last season (barring a "worldy" scored in darkest Govan) and he'll need to up his game next season.  I think we need a quality addition here and I'm sure Marvin will try to move on Reilly if at all possible as he's clearly not in his plans and isn't the player he once was.  I can't see Paton coming back, although I'd like to be surprised on that one.

We'll see. I'd agree the biggest issue at the moment is goals. Ideally I'd also like an experienced leader at the back. Otherwise it's ok. I wouldn't swap that midfield for any other at this level. Todd's a very important extension also for me.

We've three good keepers though two are young and Botterill is inexperienced despite being older. Johnson's very highly rated though and is in the Scotland u21 set up at 19. Cowie will likely go out on loan again. Jordan Houston will be a very good right sided defender if he's fit. The comments from Ayr fans were more about his fitness than his ability. Church appears a good prospect on the left. McClelland is highly rated at Hibs and whilst the Cove comments are slightly concerning I saw him play for Hibs Reserves last season and he absolutely strolled it. He also has played with Jack Brydon for a couple of years so there's a relationship there already.

With Wilson, Cochrane and Todd for central midfield (and Ben Johnstone) we're in good shape there. Could maybe do with another for depth ideally with neither Wilson nor Cochrane having great fitness records but we don't need a starter level player there.

We've Gibson, McKechnie and now McGuffie for wider roles (and Connelly could probably do that if pushed too but it's not where I'd want him).

If Reilly's back in the fold then Reilly, Doherty, Connelly and Irving up top. Connelly will chip in with 10 - 12 likely if he's fit all season. Reilly is capable of being a goalscorer. He largely played provider for Paton last season when he was here but maybe in the main role he'll burst to life again. If not then Doherty's recent record doesn't really suggest he's a big goalscorer. I've seen very little of him. I'm told he played well against us for Clyde in the 1-1 late season game last year. I missed that one. He played 20 mins at the end of the Kelty Hearts Challenge Cup tie at Palmerston in January before moving to Clyde the next day. Max Currie saved his penalty in the shoot out but I don't recall him doing anything in that last 20 mins which from memory we dominated. He seems to have missed the two Kelty League games injured before he moved to Clyde.

I assume we'll likely still have another 3 or 4 to come.

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Where's he off to Skyline?

No idea.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think there are any happy clappers on this board tbh. There's a mountain of difference between being a happy clapper and someone who sees absolutely nothing positive to comment on. 

What positives are there to comment on? Just about every player signed so far has been ripped to shreds - rightly or wrongly. 

21 minutes ago, Kunter said:

What positives are there to comment on? Just about every player signed so far has been ripped to shreds - rightly or wrongly. 

Plenty as I pointed out to you previously but you ignored the message. I doubt you'd say them as positive though as like @Fae_the_'briggs said, you only seem to see negatives.