The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

It's the perfect move for him. We have some of the best coaches and facilities in Scotland, he'll be on a decent wage, he's going to get a game every week (which wouldn't be the case if he jumped straight to the Premiership) and he gets to live in Glasgow.

All sounded good until your last point. 

Edited by 19QOS19

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That was mostly tongue in cheek to be fair, but I think people overlook that a 22 year old might fancy that more than somewhere like Perth or Dingwall!

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Imagine wanting to live in Glasgow! 

27 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

That was mostly tongue in cheek to be fair, but I think people overlook that a 22 year old might fancy that more than somewhere like Perth or Dingwall!

Pretty sure he could live in Glasgow and play in Perth if he wanted. He's been living in Glasgow whilst playing for us and Stranraer over the last 3 or 4 years. Dingwall granted would need a move.

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

I honestly think it is a sensible move for career progression rather than jumping straight to premiership. Connor Shields done it and he ended down at QP on loan. If he scores 15-20 goals in championship then can take next step plus QP paying good money if rumours are true. Heard we got £15k for him. 

I think injury problems for Shields and VanVeen being on top form for Motherwell were probably more relevant reasons he went out on loan rather than not being good enough to step up to the Premiership when he did. 

On 22/06/2023 at 00:18, Dougie Mills said:

I’m hoping Marv is saving up his left field match winning signings until the end as it’s looking very much like the usual bargain bin shopping we’ve become accustomed to so far. 

I think bargain bucket is mainly all you can afford. We thought we were losing Kalvin Orsi to you this summer but your offer wasn't that much more than he was on with us (so I'm told) and given he'd have been required to chuck his other job it's not worth it for a lot of part time guys. I think thats why you're seeing a few younger guys who are looking to take their chance at FT like Doherty, guys like Orsi who are experienced and set in their part time ways need more convincing. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I think bargain bucket is mainly all you can afford. We thought we were losing Kalvin Orsi to you this summer but your offer wasn't that much more than he was on with us (so I'm told) and given he'd have been required to chuck his other job it's not worth it for a lot of part time guys. I think thats why you're seeing a few younger guys who are looking to take their chance at FT like Doherty, guys like Orsi who are experienced and set in their part time ways need more convincing. 

Partly this, and partly I think Marv has a model he’s following, seems to be targeting certain types that he can develop along with the team. As much as it’s not exciting for us, I’m willing to give it a chance. He improved us no end last year with a crop of players who were struggling, so he deserves a crack at it with his own team. We need another 3/4 signings and they need to be crackers imo. Left hand sided defender, winger and striker/s

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Think the majority of part time players who have a decent job will earn more than most of the full time teams in the Championship .

We will always get young players starting out trying to make a career then moving  up like Paton but as you say we are finding it difficult to get the experience we need.

Thought we were looking at another Dumbarton player was it Gray or something like that.

Good in today's paper that Marvin is still looking to add to the squad now hopefully waiting till the right experience and quality becomes availble.

Not all players reported back for pre-season training at the required fitness levels according to MB in today's local Press, although the vast majority did. No names of the guilty given of course but a couple have since reached acceptable levels. GM in charge for tomorrow's friendly at EK, Marvs on coaching badge course. 

In other news WG pleaded not guilty in yesterday's court case and it was adjourned til next month. 

38 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Think the majority of part time players who have a decent job will earn more than most of the full time teams in the Championship .

We will always get young players starting out trying to make a career then moving  up like Paton but as you say we are finding it difficult to get the experience we need.

Thought we were looking at another Dumbarton player was it Gray or something like that.

Good in today's paper that Marvin is still looking to add to the squad now hopefully waiting till the right experience and quality becomes availble.

All depends what the players ambitions are. Generally guys in their late teens early twenties will take a chance at full time but when these guys are 25/26 and have made careers outside of football it becomes more difficult to tempt them away from it, especially if you're at the lower end of full time football.

Before the season had even ended there were rumours that Gray and Orsi could both be on their way to you but Orsi signed on again and with Gray I imagine we have either dug our heels in and said he's our player for another year or the money offered didn't meet our valuation as I hear he's in a bit of a huff about it right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at QoS next year if Bartley is still there.

15 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Heard we got £15k for him. 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

As Moonster says, we've obviously dug our heels in on Gray as he's under contract. But given we're skint, you've just came into a bit of cash (if the figure above is remotely accurate) and Gray (by all accounts) isn't happy at the move not happening, I wonder if we could still see it happen. Although he's a CM and that doesn't seem to be a position you guys are short in.

10k and Reilly and you can have him ;)

8 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

You sure? I wasn't aware he had a kid.

I'm not certain thats him. He had a different top on when I saw him briefly on wednesday, but he definitely has a son that age who was at training wednesday.

As far as I know he was only doing some training with the group. I dont think he's here with any view to signing.