The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

McKechnie being hooked is the worst decision MB made today IMO. Felt like he was too eager to bring on the new guy but it was a bad decision.

That's how it felt to me too. He was down just before he went off though, but the sub was probably too quick for that to be the reason. 

New guy missed one glorious chance, but was in a good position for it which is a good sign. Hope he finds his killer instinct soon.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

McClelland looks raw to me but has potential. 

IMHO McKay thinks he's a player but doesn't do the basics of defending.

McClelland and Ambrose our best defenders today. McKay is a total liability. Houston gives us less going forward than Logan but is a better defender. I would give him a go. 

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes. I'm intrigued to find out how you think MB is to blame for Cammy Logan's indecision for the first, the new LB making an arse of it before McClelland totally loses his man for the second and the shocking lack of basic tracking for the 3rd? 

Unless of course your answer is "he assembled the squad", I don't know how shocking individual mistakes are MBs fault tbh. 

McKechnie being hooked is the worst decision MB made today IMO. Felt like he was too eager to bring on the new guy but it was a bad decision.

Agree with first half of your post but not the second. Despite his goal McKechnie was off it but the new guy had a couple of good runs and looks a decent signing considering he may have met the players at lunchtime!

Didn't make the game today - treated myself to a day in the Arran mountains instead (sounds like it was a good choice).

This feels like a repeat of the Alloa debacle and like recent seasons its our woeful back line that's letting us down yet again.  Having been a defensive midfielder himself (I think) I really thought that Marvin would have sorted out our defence first before any other part of the team, but obviously not.  I dread to think where we would be if he hadn't brought his pal Efe into the club or what we do if he doesn't extend his deal after December.  God only knows what Falkirk/Hamilton would do to that back line without Ambrose in it (never mind what they'd do with Ambrose in it).

I was keen to hear how the two new lads did, and from what I can glean on here they did fairly OK considering that they'd both just joined up prior to the game.  Hopefully they can build on their starts.  As others have said we can't expect too much too soon from them.  Is the young Hearts keeper more experienced than Cowie?  Don't know.

Young Lewis Gibson - well, we all know what a player we have in there.  Hopefully, he's now put his pre-season injury/fitness problems behind him and he can kick on and secure a regular start now.

As plenty have said before, our home form is pretty shocking and has been for a few seasons - how we hope to compete whilst shipping the daft goals we do is anyone's guess.  Gotta hope that young Brydon gets back to fitness soon.  Also tend to agree with others in that I thought Houston was OK when I saw him, so don't know why he doesn't start.

Yet another reality check.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes. I'm intrigued to find out how you think MB is to blame for Cammy Logan's indecision for the first, the new LB making an arse of it before McClelland totally loses his man for the second and the shocking lack of basic tracking for the 3rd? 

Unless of course your answer is "he assembled the squad", I don't know how shocking individual mistakes are MBs fault tbh. 

Agree with both these points - re Logan and McKechnie.

Feel for Logan. Looked good last year just had a torrid day after being played out of position vs Alloa.

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

McClelland and Ambrose our best defenders today. McKay is a total liability. Houston gives us less going forward than Logan but is a better defender. I would give him a go. 

Let's not forget that McKay was deemed good enough to earn contracts with Leeds and Cardiff in the past and it had absolutely nothing to do with who his father is.  Nothing at all.  No siree.  Definitely not.

20 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Let's not forget that McKay was deemed good enough to earn contracts with Leeds and Cardiff in the past and it had absolutely nothing to do with who his father is.  Nothing at all.  No siree.  Definitely not.

Signed for Leeds as did his brother. They'd both been at Doncaster and made zero first team appearances. Leeds manager at the time one Steve Evans. 

He made zero league appearances for Leeds and same for Cardiff too.

He thinks he's a player but he's pish.

2 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Marvin confirms in his YouTube video that a player turned up late. 

Aye. Disappointing. His actions weakened up significantly. I really hope it doesn't become a habit as we clearly need him at the back, especially with Brydon out. 

I expect the MB 'doubters' will still pin that on him though...

Just now, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Marvin confirms in his YouTube video that a player turned up late. 

Bartley is quite correct to make a stand on this. I really like that he demands and enforces a proper level of discipline. 

It's a pity the decision exposed us again to the frailties of McKay but it's a sound decision nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Signed for Leeds as did his brother. They'd both been at Doncaster and made zero first team appearances. Leeds manager at the time one Steve Evans. 

Yup

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Bartley is quite correct to make a stand on this. I really like that he demands and enforces a proper level of discipline. 

It's a pity the decision exposed us again to the frailties of McKay but it's a sound decision nonetheless.

I really respect Marv for this. Not his fault but if the player did that he let us all down badly. 

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Where are you playing McKay,   he wasn't great for us but probably midfield was his most effective,  (that's stretching it a bit) a very awkward looking player

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Where are you playing McKay,   he wasn't great for us but probably midfield was his most effective,  (that's stretching it a bit) a very awkward looking player

He’s playing in central defence. He’s pish. If everyone was fit or if Efe Ambrose could have bothered his arse to turn up on time McKay wouldn’t be starting but he started today. As I said earlier in the thread he thinks he’s a player but doesn’t do the basics. 

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

He’s playing in central defence. He’s pish. If everyone was fit or if Efe Ambrose could have bothered his arse to turn up on time McKay wouldn’t be starting but he started today. As I said earlier in the thread he thinks he’s a player but doesn’t do the basics. 

His rolled down socks look majestic while he arses around though, you have to give him that. A real Rolls-Royce of a centre back, Virgil van Dick. 

Edited by Broony88

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We are in the business of winning games of football we leave out our best defender because he is late then lose the game.

Why not just fine him .

I get it you need discipline but to drop him for that Marv really did have a bad day .

In his interview he said players so was there more than Armbrose late maybe than explains Marv crazy 1st half team selection .

On that Cowie should have been in goals Stone did not get back till 4am on Friday morning with  Hearts had not even trained with Queens says himself he had to try and remember names of his teammates.

Some very poor decisions made on Saturday starting with Marvin game plan and team selection but we all make mistakes it is how we react to them that matters .

The big challenge is our FT model. We are effectively providing a FT refuge for young players who are “living the dream” but who, with a few exceptions” are simply not good enough. The vast majority need to find a career and play football PT.Our strategy only works if our Manager manages to work the oracle and find high potential loan players that can “ hit the road running” or sign a few gems that other teams have missed. From what I can see over past couple of seasons we are signing players that nobody else wants and the loan players seem to be 4th or 5th choices with their parent clubs. The days of getting the likes of Zander Clark, Jason Kerr, Chris Kane are long gone. Either that or as a League 1 Club we are not seen as a viable outlet for the better prospects.

One thing is clear - the squad is simply not good enough. Defensively, it is frighteningly poor and the good players that we have like Ambrose, Mimnaugh, Gibson, Todd and Brydon (when fit) have a huge task to carry the rest.