The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Billy Dodds is an absolute clown.

Mick Kennedy and Billy Dodds as serious suggestions. It's probably the main reason why I'd give MB some more time. The list of replacements is truly terrifying. 

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Going to scream into a pillow if I see one more serious suggestion for Mick Kennedy being our next manager.

... that dressing room speech on the televised Darvel cup tie ... I've seen/heard some cringeworthy shite over the years, but that tops the lot ... just no way ...

25 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

... that dressing room speech on the televised Darvel cup tie ... I've seen/heard some cringeworthy shite over the years, but that tops the lot ... just no way ...

Thank you for clearing that up, I'd no idea who Mick Kennedy was until I read that. Definitely a no from me. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

You mean you're not a soldier of love? 

10 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

It wasn’t pretty in Saturday but let’s see what Kelty brings…

• What was it that Einstein said, “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” 

Seems a  number of  Clubs, on both sides of the border,  who see themselves as underperforming and not being where they expected to be at this stage of the season are taking action in the hope of remedying the situation.  For some it will work and for others it may not - there are no guarantees.

We are in a really difficult position - whether to stick or twist - as it would impact financially I imagine to change Management team but can we afford not to ?

We played Alloa (A) at the same point last season and were well and truly thrashed. I suspect many thought Gibson should have gone after that debacle.  However, he got a reaction and we stuffed Montrose 4-0 the next week. That was a false dawn though and just delayed the inevitable 2 months later by which time , as it turned out, although there was an improvement we were left with too much to do in too little time to make the play - offs.

As far as I am aware , after the Alloa defeat last Saturday, we have less points and are lower in the League than this time last season. 

Can't speak for the BOD but certainly from a fans point of view I think some  are looking on a game to game basis whether MB should be retained or not.  I don't think that is a healthy environment in which to operate or to foster a positive culture.

We all want to get points on the board but even if we were to beat Kelty  - no mean feat given recent record -  would/should that be enough to keep MB on given what happened last season after beating Montrose ?

17 hours ago, bod said:

Surely you're not still in the keep Bartley camp, have you been at any of the games recently?

Yes last Saturday. It was poor. As I said 2 terrible performances and he should go. Let’s see what Saturday brings. Putting forward names like Dodds, McIntyre etc makes me want to hang onto Marv at the moment. 

Although I fully expect Bartley to be in post until the end of the season I think the only name that has been mentioned as a potential replacement who is currently available and of whom I would have any faith in is Fowler.  His record managing us was better than those of Naysmith, Johnston* or Gibson, and given he has had subsequent experience specializing in recruitment - something that Johnston, Gibson and Bartley have been proven to be abysmal at - I wouldn't be averse to him being given another chance.  The downside is that sometimes the football his sides played was pretty excruciating to watch.

* second spell

That said, whether he would consider working with the current board again is questionable given his previous harsh dismissal at the hands of the same regime.

Edited by Slipmat

31 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Yes last Saturday. It was poor. As I said 2 terrible performances and he should go. Let’s see what Saturday brings. Putting forward names like Dodds, McIntyre etc makes me want to hang onto Marv at the moment. 

Last Saturday!!!! Some of us have personally witnessed a lot more than that and every game has basically been as bad if not worse.

You want to give him the Kelty and Hamilton games by which time we'll probably be in the relegation playoff place, before he has to go?

Insane to say the least, you are a Queens supporter are you?

1 hour ago, bod said:

Last Saturday!!!! Some of us have personally witnessed a lot more than that and every game has basically been as bad if not worse.

You want to give him the Kelty and Hamilton games by which time we'll probably be in the relegation playoff place, before he has to go?

We have to try and give him as long as we can will cost a fortune to pay the rest of his contract..

Do we give Bartley the Jan transfer window to try and inprove the squad or do use that money to pay the remainder of his contract 

Difficult decision for the board

36 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

We have to try and give him as long as we can will cost a fortune to pay the rest of his contract..

Do we give Bartley the Jan transfer window to try and inprove the squad or do use that money to pay the remainder of his contract 

Difficult decision for the board

I’d like to think that the board would start putting certain expectations in a managers contract that would make it easier to terminate it - any other job in life where you are failing to perform to a certain standard usually results in getting the punt without being financially rewarded for being useless!

7 hours ago, bod said:

Usual nonsense . Of course. I’ve watched them since 1971 and enter the shirt draw every year. It’s a 5 hour round trip for me to Palmerston. I want the best for us but always have a degree of balance about things. If we are still terrible at end Nov some thinking to do. Football is about divergent views.