The Queen of the South thread

Our treatment table is busy enough without adding another player with a poor injury record. Anyway the guy doesn't want to play for us so no point in bringing him back.

3 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Cove move always seemed strange considering he stays 10mins for where we train. 

I’ve always thought that it must be strange having your squad training so far away from Palmerston that it can’t possibly engender closeness between the players and support. I slightly understand that it is all down to your geographical location but it must be a bit of a hindrance building bonds?

Our squad has just been involved in a fun training session at TFS with some of our Junior Bairns who hopefully will go on to be fans in the future.

If Queens were to get a Roy McGregor type owner with oodles of cash in the future and you were to progress to the Premiership, do you think the club would then insist on all the players being Dumfries based?

43 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I’ve always thought that it must be strange having your squad training so far away from Palmerston that it can’t possibly engender closeness between the players and support. I slightly understand that it is all down to your geographical location but it must be a bit of a hindrance building bonds?

Our squad has just been involved in a fun training session at TFS with some of our Junior Bairns who hopefully will go on to be fans in the future.

If Queens were to get a Roy McGregor type owner with oodles of cash in the future and you were to progress to the Premiership, do you think the club would then insist on all the players being Dumfries based?

We've done open days at Palmerston and they seem to do quite well. I'm skeptical we'd have a better bond with the players if we trained in Dumfries. You build bonds when as a result of performances. We've been shite for years which is a bigger issue. The biggest bond between fans and player in recent years has been Dobbie. Location doesn't really matter IMO. 

If we had a money man then I expect our training would be wherever he fancied.

Rumour doing the rounds here in Edinburgh that FCE may be facing a complete “wind up” via the courts.Were that to happen one would assume that they could not fulfil their fixtures. Not good for us as all points earned would presumably be null and void. Only a rumour at this stage but serious concerns being expressed.

17 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Rumour doing the rounds here in Edinburgh that FCE may be facing a complete “wind up” via the courts.Were that to happen one would assume that they could not fulfil their fixtures. Not good for us as all points earned would presumably be null and void. Only a rumour at this stage but serious concerns being expressed.

Hopefully not the case. Wouldn't want to see them fold. If the worst did happen you'd imagine no one would be automatically relegated and 9th place just have the playoffs? 

1 minute ago, Artemis said:

... If Queens goals against column would be even worse without Ambrose, then that speaks volumes for the rest of them ...

Sad, but true ...  although a more solid midfield in front of them would help matters.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hopefully not the case. Wouldn't want to see them fold. If the worst did happen you'd imagine no one would be automatically relegated and 9th place just have the playoffs? 

I would stress that a rumour at this stage but  as you say it might mean a fight to avoid 9th place for the remaining teams.

2 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Has he remained free of injury with Morton? We were lucky to get five or six games on the spin out of him. 

Looks like it going by their lineups from the last few months!

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Our treatment table is busy enough without adding another player with a poor injury record. Anyway the guy doesn't want to play for us so no point in bringing him back.

No coincidence Morton have had an upturn in their performances and results since Wilson has been playing regularly.

Sure, the guy’s confidence must be high right now if he’s playing well in a team on the up and for a manager that wants you there, all that in a league above us!!!

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not to cast doubt on your rumour, but they signed a player today from Aberdeen.

Iain Wilson, or any player with similar attributes, is exactly what’s been missing from Queens midfield. I imagine if recalled those injuries would  perhaps reappear…or perhaps he’s just genuinely been unlucky. However, as noted by others, why would he want to come back and contribute positively? There’s obviously unresolved issues there.

Doubt we’ll find that combative midfielder we desperately need this January though. Also appreciate some others need to move on before it can even be considered - even if there was someone available (and willing?). Who is actually out there though? 

27 minutes ago, rubber_duck said:

Iain Wilson, or any player with similar attributes, is exactly what’s been missing from Queens midfield. I imagine if recalled those injuries would  perhaps reappear…or perhaps he’s just genuinely been unlucky. However, as noted by others, why would he want to come back and contribute positively? There’s obviously unresolved issues there.

Doubt we’ll find that combative midfielder we desperately need this January though. Also appreciate some others need to move on before it can even be considered - even if there was someone available (and willing?). Who is actually out there though? 

Different training techniques and practices? 

They say a good manager knows how to get the best out of each player and manages them as a team and individually.

It will be to our detriment if we don't bring him back.

Edited by bod

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Whilst not ideal, it's a case of geographical needs must and financial necessity.  Falkirk will not be impacted the same way being in the central belt and having a larger budget from a larger support.  Most of our squad tend to be central belt based with only a few from the Dumfries area.  It helps us to attract the better quality (aye ... in theory only!) central belt players if we train in Hamilton or similar and its probably cheaper to transport the smaller number up from Dumfries than trek the larger number down from the central belt.  I think there are occasional training days and community related activity days down south to engage the local fan base but I think it's mainly training in Hamilton.

If a rich sugar daddy were to arrive (and most of us hope he won't) then of course with sufficient scoobies he could dictate whatever he wants - money talks.  Personally I hate to see the game skewed financially by such cases - they're inevitably short term bubbles that will burst when the rich benefactor eventually exits stage left and it doesn't reflect well on our game - especially when we see the temporary rise of over-funded "village" clubs.

Edited by Otis Blue

41 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Not to cast doubt on your rumour, but they signed a player today from Aberdeen.

I did notice that and hopefully some sort of life support rescue package can avert a complete wind-up.

8 minutes ago, bod said:

Different training techniques and practices? 

They say a good manager knows how to get the best out of each player and manages them as a team and individually.

It will be to our detriment if we don't bring him back.

A fit Iain Wilson would enhance any midfield in L1 - that's a fact.

However, there's no point forcing a player to come back when he's clearly not interested and probably wouldn't put in a shift for the club.

Was he injured prior to leaving us?  Or was there a serious relationship breakdown between Wilson and Bartley, with the injury stories being a cover up for a toxic relationship?  Who knows ... but if he doesn't want to be here, then I'd say leave him where he is as long as Morton are covering his wages.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

A fit Iain Wilson would enhance any midfield in L1 - that's a fact.

However, there's no point forcing a player to come back when he's clearly not interested and probably wouldn't put in a shift for the club.

Was he injured prior to leaving us?  Or was there a serious relationship breakdown between Wilson and Bartley, with the injury stories being a cover up for a toxic relationship?  Who knows ... but if he doesn't want to be here, then I'd say leave him where he is as long as Morton are covering his wages.

He was recovering from an injury when they fell out. 

13 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

He is right. It's a very public notice. All they've got to do is pay their debts and it'll be withdrawn. We'll find out more in the next couple months.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4517832

On 11 December 2023, a petition was presented to Livingston Sheriff Court

Livingston trying to kill another Edinburgh football club. 

15 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

On 11 December 2023, a petition was presented to Livingston Sheriff Court

Livingston trying to kill another Edinburgh football club. 

I assume the petitioner is HM Revenue and Customs so it's a tax bill they've not paid. Local sheriff court because they're not big enough to go to the court of session.