The Queen of the South thread

19 hours ago, Greenacres said:

I wish all we had to worry about was a new PA guy.

On to the important stuff Reilly is going to be a huge miss Doherty and Hutchinson  work hard but neither has a goal threat.

Why both have 2 year deals I have no idea yet another strange decision from Bartley.

Davie Martindale said in an interview that he always gives players he signs from the lower leagues in England a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd year as it takes them the first year to adapt to playing and living in Scotland.

While I don't by any means think Bartley has been a success, I don't think we can blame him for taking a punt on an untried player from England, it's not like we're in the market for "finished products" like Shankland!

I think we need to be a bit more patient. Mind, going by the recent Chisholm posts, it would appear the Queen's fan base is a difficult audience to please!

16 minutes ago, Artemis said:

And it is quite something to believe that Queens fans are unreasonable to expect the record against the 7 League 1 teams outside the bottom 2 should be better than P15 W2 D2 L11. However, perhaps that just confirms the view that staying in League 1 is becoming an acceptable target.

I don't want to turn this into Queens fans slagging each other off, as of course we all believe we should be doing better than we are doing at the moment, but it seems a lot of posters on here weren't happy with reaching The Cup Final and finishing 4th in the Championship either!

We need a bit of reality about were we are at the moment after being on a downward slide for at least the last 5 seasons, much of it down to wholesale changes in the squad every year in my opinion. I just think we need to show a bit more patience.

Edited by Biblemaster
Spelling correction.

18 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

...it seems a lot of posters on here weren't happy with reaching The Cup Final and finishing 4th in the Championship either!

Lets not be silly, absolutely no one has suggested such a thing. We had the best team of our generation that could have picked itself. I don't recall there being much sadness when Dundee took Chisholm from us. I think the general feeling on here was hilarity that we got money for him. Kind of speaks volumes. 

That he fell down to East Fife before disappearing completely shows he had it lucky here rather than us being lucky to have him. 

23 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

I don't want to turn this into Queens fans slagging each other off, as of course we all believe we should be doing better than we are doing at the moment, but it seems a lot of posters on here weren't happy with reaching The Cup Final and finishing 4th in the Championship either!

We need a bit of reality about were we are at the moment after being on a downward slide for at least the last 5 seasons, much of it down to wholesale changes in the squad every year in my opinion. I just think we need to show a bit more patience.

I think we’ve been plenty patient tbh - we’ve been without doubt the worst full time team Scotland has ever seen over the past couple of seasons and have a manager/board who seem absolutely clueless into how to change that.

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

I think that nearly all Queens fans would be in agreement that the 2007/08 cup run is something that will never be topped in most of our time supporting Queens past, present or future, but in hindsight rather than getting to the final being the result of Chisholm's managerial nous there were a couple of mitigating factors that favoured us - Gretna going into administration allowed us to pick up players that were of a higher standard than had been available to us in years, it was our first season as a full-time club, and we only faced one Premier League team on the road to the final in a game where tactics pretty much went out of the window.

Nobody can take it away from Chisholm that he took us to our only major final (sorry, but the Challenge Cup doesn't count for me), but in addition to his strange selections for the European ties I think we should also consider his recruitment in the summer of 2008 when it comes to rating him.  Only Cammy Bell, Jamie Adams & David Weatherston cut the mustard in my opinion - Bryn Halliwell, Tom Parratt, Craig Sives, Stephen Simmons, Michael McGowan, Gerry McLaughlan, Steven Kinniburgh, the unfortunate Gary Arbuckle, Craig Barr and of course his marquee signing Stewart Kean being the others he recruited.

Edited by Slipmat
to add Gary Arbuckle to the list

7 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

it seems a lot of posters on here weren't happy with reaching The Cup Final and finishing 4th in the Championship either

Don't be daft.  We'll all take memories from that time to our graves.

There's a decent body of evidence to suggest that Chisholm is not a good football manager though.

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't be daft.  We'll all take memories from that time to our graves.

There's a decent body of evidence to suggest that Chisholm is not a good football manager though.

I would gnaw off my arm to have that team, that standing in the game and to look forward to watching Queens with that attacking verve again. 

I met Chisholm and he was a very nice chap and did a good job that season. He even made the point of returning my call the day before the final to say he hoped that the team did the supporters proud. But….His recruitment was generally poor, results vs spend were poor and above all how anyone could play Stewart Kean in front of Dobbie is baffling. 

I was at Cappielow the day Dobbs came off the bench and scored 3. The thing some people missed was that he deliberately set out to achieve the perfect hat trick…right foot, left foot and head and did it…just because he could. 

I hope we can get back to those heights sooner rather than later. 

12 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

But….His recruitment was generally poor, results vs spend were poor and above all how anyone could play Stewart Kean in front of Dobbie is baffling. 

I'd have to agree that Chisholm was a better coach than a manager. The McCall/Chisholm partnership was absolutely perfect, McCall must have the best contact book in Scottish lower League football, I bet there's a lot of managers out there would love to steel his phone.

I remember being quite annoyed with Davie Rae at the first AGM after McCall left when he criticised him for never being on the training ground while Chisholm was there all the time and thinking it really showed that Davie didn't have a clue what "management" was!

Having said that, I still wouldn't say that Chisholm was a clown 🤡!

49 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Having said that, I still wouldn't say that Chisholm was a clown 🤡!

Exhibit A your honour:- 

Screenshot_20240111-093455.thumb.png.cd57b7fa43cc0c82783f8d8c9a41424a.png

Exhibit B your honour:-

Screenshot_20240111-093305.thumb.png.c6bdf5dc413b2f856079bb6b7e1f5460.png

Our home game v Montrose on 24th Feb is now a 5.30 ko Live on BBC Alba.

Away from that not looking like we are going to add to the squad this week really need to somehow add quality to try and push for the playoffs .

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Our home game v Montrose on 24th Feb is now a 5.30 ko Live on BBC Alba.

Away from that not looking like we are going to add to the squad this week really need to somehow add quality to try and push for the playoffs .

Hope the rumour on the transfer thread isn't right but wouldn't be surprised given our illustrious leader!

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Exhibit A your honour:- 

Screenshot_20240111-093455.thumb.png.cd57b7fa43cc0c82783f8d8c9a41424a.png

Exhibit B your honour:-

Screenshot_20240111-093305.thumb.png.c6bdf5dc413b2f856079bb6b7e1f5460.png

Starting with both Dobbie and O'Connor on the bench in Scottish Cup game away to Falkirk in January 2009 is another classic. A mate of mine was talking to one of the Falkirk staff post game and safe to say they were delighted by those omissions.

Team that day according to BBC report:-

Queen of South: Robinson, McLaughlan, Harris, MacFarlane, Barr, Lancaster, Wilson (Burns 86), Tosh (O'Connor 72), Kean, Robertson (Dobbie 72), McQuilken.
Subs Not Used: Halliwell, Reid.

Yet another poor home performance I suppose at least we did not lose .

We are missing a few key players but somehow we have to try and get goals in the team.

Several of Bartley signings are just not good enough a example is Hutchinson Why sign him on a 2 year deal he offers nothing I can guarantee he will not get us goals. 

Right now we are miles away from being good enough for the play offs I really are not holding up much hope that Bartley can get the quality in we need .

I'm not sure that hurling vitriol at the players is totally fair.  It's not their fault that they're not great players, they are what they are, low end third tier or lower level players - ie the old adage that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear etc etc.

To me the fault lies at the door of our recruitment policy.  Now this might be too much of a generalist statement (as I'm sure there will have been some exceptions to the rule in there), but over the last few seasons it seems that we've been shopping for players either from clubs below us in our current league or from the league below us.  If that's true then its probably not just down to Bartley but perhaps maybe more of a directive coming down from the BOD - ie governed by the budgetary constraints handed down to our managers, and if that is indeed true then this indicates the apparent (lack of) ambition that the BOD has for the club.  The BOD's get out of course will be that they'll say that they have to balance the books at the end of the day.

Still, progress in the professional game is all about quality and quality requires an appropriate level of investment in the playing budget.  If a club wants to either make waves at the top end of their league, or to gain promotion then they need to be targeting players either interesting their rivals at the top end of their own current league or players from the middle level of the league above.  Our apparent "downwards focused " recruitment policy of late does not to me indicate a club seeking to progress upwards in the game.

Of course this doesn't totally exonerate Bartley, since a good manager with an eye for a player (and/or good contacts) would (you'd hope) be able to use his limited budget wisely and pick up some talented up and coming players from lower levels - but relying on that route alone will rarely achieve upwards success.

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

If that's true then its probably not just down to Bartley but perhaps maybe more of a directive coming down from the BOD - ie governed by the budgetary constraints handed down to our managers, and if that is indeed true then this indicates the apparent (lack of) ambition that the BOD has for the club.  The BOD's get out of course will be that they'll say that they have to balance the books at the end of the day.

On the subject of budgets, I'd imagine that the biggest determinant of those will (despite odd exceptions) be attendances.

Now, ours are currently pitiful.  However, I'm struggling to think of many clubs at our level or the one beneath it whose gates would massively outstrip ours.  Falkirk's obviously would even if they weren't having a good season.  Otherwise though, I don't see many clubs who dwarf us in size.  I don't see why our budget should be especially weak in these surroundings.

Hamilton obviously spent money and there's been 'investment' at the likes of Cove and Kelty.  Given that we chose to stay full-time though, I don't see that we can keep citing budget as much of an excuse.  Not down here anyway.

The thinking was that over a year ago Bartley was a reasonably motivational coach who’d get the best out of a mediocre bunch. Someone the players could relate to. Additionally, the thinking was he’d have a good knowledge of untapped potential down south and up here and as such, signings would be astute and significant. The thinking was he was tactically astute and had systems to get the best out of players available and play to their strengths. 

Well, perhaps that was my thinking. It’s nothing like it at all. Now? He’s really has to go. It’s absolutely dreadful to watch.

31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

On the subject of budgets, I'd imagine that the biggest determinant of those will (despite odd exceptions) be attendances.

Now, ours are currently pitiful.  However, I'm struggling to think of many clubs at our level or the one beneath it whose gates would massively outstrip ours.  Falkirk's obviously would even if they weren't having a good season.  Otherwise though, I don't see many clubs who dwarf us in size.  I don't see why our budget should be especially weak in these surroundings.

Hamilton obviously spent money and there's been 'investment' at the likes of Cove and Kelty.  Given that we chose to stay full-time though, I don't see that we can keep citing budget as much of an excuse.  Not down here anyway.

Yes some very good points. 

Listening to Marvin's interview sounds like he is hoping for Reilly an Cochrane back in for next weeks game, and unlikely we will see any new signings any time soon... Need to get players out the door first.... 

17 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Listening to Marvin's interview sounds like he is hoping for Reilly an Cochrane back in for next weeks game, and unlikely we will see any new signings any time soon... Need to get players out the door first.... 

Not a bad thing. I wouldn't trust him not to make an arse of it. He'll loan Gibson out to bring in some donkey. 

"If I'd gone in there and they were high fiving each other I'd be worried" - MB discussing the players after drawing with Alloa. The same man who was content with a 1-0 defeat the week earlier