The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not a bad thing. I wouldn't trust him not to make an arse of it. He'll loan Gibson out to bring in some donkey. 

"If I'd gone in there and they were high fiving each other I'd be worried" - MB discussing the players after drawing with Alloa. The same man who was content with a 1-0 defeat the week earlier 

The Gibson comment is just silly. Need beater players for sure and to be more more attack minded. We are in it with mB until summer but if we don’t get 4th he needs to go. It’s not fun watching us just now. Boring triangles and a long punt. Players have to step up too. They were hopeless yesterday 

8 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Listening to Marvin's interview sounds like he is hoping for Reilly an Cochrane back in for next weeks game, and unlikely we will see any new signings any time soon... Need to get players out the door first.... 

Yip, It's looking like no real activity during this window.

I can't say I blame the board here for restricting any. Given Bartley's recruitment thus far, why trust him to do more of it?

I think this season is once more being quietly written off.  The run in December virtually ensured safety, so it's again a question of sitting tight until the next go, hopefully under someone else.

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

The Gibson comment is just silly. Need beater players for sure and to be more more attack minded. We are in it with mB until summer but if we don’t get 4th he needs to go. It’s not fun watching us just now. Boring triangles and a long punt. Players have to step up too. They were hopeless yesterday 

It's not as silly as you may think, believe me. 

11 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Couple of players the manager signed this season have been told they can go out on loan. 
Nice work Marvin 

And absolutely no one is going to want to take them on loan. Exciting times. 

23 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Who?

Not a chance anyone would take any of our squad on loan so no new signing .

The board have done the right thing why let Marvin add more to a very poor squad .

The squad is far to big already.

I would be amazed if anyone takes Walker or Hutchinson who is a good example.of Marv poor management why the hell give him a 2 year deal he offers nothing .

Edited by Greenacres

I kind of felt for Hutchinson yesterday with the lack of service but he doesn't help himself with his lack of movement. Also on a number of occasions his second touch was a tackle. That said I didn't like to hear the booing when he came off.

14 minutes ago, bod said:

I kind of felt for Hutchinson yesterday with the lack of service but he doesn't help himself with his lack of movement. Also on a number of occasions his second touch was a tackle. That said I didn't like to hear the booing when he came off.

Hutchinson does put the effort in but he really is a very poor nothing to do with lack of service. 

Usually a player  has something that he is good at but he has nothing really the blame is all Marvs what he seen in him I have no idea and to give him a 2 year deal is very poor management 

Will be amazed if any club takes him on loan .

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

What, as in push a good valuable player out on loan?

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm guessing Irving is one as well. If he can't break into this first team then he'll do well to be at Annan next season. 

It's depressing that moves to Annan are essentially sideways in nature.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

... Hamilton obviously spent money and there's been 'investment' at the likes of Cove and Kelty.  Given that we chose to stay full-time though, I don't see that we can keep citing budget as much of an excuse.  Not down here anyway.

Budget wasn't my main point, although as I also implied there are ways to use a budget wisely and ways not to as we have sadly demonstrated this season.

My main point (poorly made) was the observation that for the past few seasons we've elected to recruit from "the bargain basement player market" which has ensured our downwards direction of travel. A club with ambition in the professional leagues just doesn't do this.  My observation being that this philosophy is reflective of the BOD's objectives ... financial prudence as a priority above all else. Hence our current establishment as a Tier 3 club.

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Budget wasn't my main point, although as I also implied there are ways to use a budget wisely and ways not to as we have sadly demonstrated this season.

My main point (poorly made) was the observation that for the past few seasons we've elected to recruit from "the bargain basement player market" which has ensured our downwards direction of travel. A club with ambition in the professional leagues just doesn't do this.  My observation being that this philosophy is reflective of the BOD's objectives ... financial prudence as a priority above all else. Hence our current establishment as a Tier 3 club.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning that you were particularly using it as an excuse, although I can see why it might have looked as if I was.

I pretty much agree with you and wouldn't even be especially critical of a board that puts prudence first.

I just think that all that considered, we certainly shouldn't be more impoverished than the likes of Alloa and Montrose, yet we're performing as if we are.

Raggett has surely got to be packed off somewhere.  Quite possibly the most pointless signing in the history of the club.

Edited by Slipmat

I’ve never understood the last few seasons recruitment with squads of 25+, I think it makes a lot more sense to run with a much smaller squad of 16/17 senior players (like Morton do) and the rest from our academy. That is surely a better way to manage our finances so we are in the market for a better player. Having said that, with this seasons injuries we would have struggled for a full squad most weeks.

Edited by QoS99

51 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sorry, I wasn't meaning that you were particularly using it as an excuse, although I can see why it might have looked as if I was.

I pretty much agree with you and wouldn't even be especially critical of a board that puts prudence first.

I just think that all that considered, we certainly shouldn't be more impoverished than the likes of Alloa and Montrose, yet we're performing as if we are.

Nothing wrong with financial prudence, you'd expect that from a BOD as custodians of the club ... but there's a balance with ambition to be struck, and at our level it's a difficult balance to strike so I don't envy their task. I just see little evidence of any ambition.

17 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I’ve never understood the last few seasons recruitment with squads of 25+, I think it makes a lot more sense to run with a much smaller squad of 16/17 senior players (like Morton do) and the rest from our academy. That is surely a better way to manage our finances so we are in the market for a better player. Having said that, with this seasons injuries we would have struggled for a full squad most weeks.

Yeah, I'm with you here.

49 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Raggett has surely got to be packed off somewhere.  Quite possibly the most pointless signing in the history of the club.

Udoka Chima says hi.

Incidentally, I work with a Worthing FC season ticket holder. Chima rocked up at them in early December, picked up a hamstring injury in training, and then left a month later without having made an appearance. He’s not changed, then.