The Queen of the South thread

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What more do you expect from Annan? Murphy seems to have done a remarkable job. 

Play best starting 11 and make make appropriate changes at the correct opportunity, for starters. The ( football ) is a matter of opinions is a great hiding place. 

After the Annan debacle I thought that it was not possible to get any worse.  Then along comes Bartley to prove that it is entirely possible.

What on earth is he trying to achieve with his negative tactics?  Chopping and changing personnel every week, little or no organisation.  A complete and utter charlatan who should be long gone.  Edinburgh next week sets us up for another shambles.

I have given up listening to the post match interviews, the same tame questions every week.  Hardly surprising that the answers are the same.

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Seems you don’t need to try IMO try closer to home with Humza and his cronies? I’ve listened to enough Bartley interviews now to give my the dry boak. The proper Queens fans have said all they can. I’m in the glasshouse too and far from a fan of Murphy so feel the pain.

Gladly swap managers with you.

21 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I never said swop . I’m hearing things are changing at Annan TBF. 

Our Board of Director is best pals with Murphy. I wouldn't be shocked if he rocked up here. I expect he'll have his faults but from the outside looking in he's done incredible things at Annan and sets his side up not to shitebag draws/defeats. I'd happily take a punt on him. 

5 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I hope our incoming one man board of director has deep pockets so that Bartley, Doherty, Hutchinson and McKechnie can all be "released".  Grant Murray too, if he is contracted for next year.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum number of directors requirement in order for the club to be SFA/SFL compliant?  At the painfully slow rate that we're going at in terms of assembling a new board, I fear that some of the current board members will still be around next season to make up the numbers.

Minimum three directors to transact business per the articles.

Also, "one man board of director" 😂😂

7 minutes ago, bod said:

Was the new director there yesterday to witness another Bartley master class?

Considering 2 of his other favourite teams were playing each other I expect he was at Annan. 

Bartley’s interviews have in the main been slavers. Yesterday’s love fest with Sandra tops the lot though even worse than the play station one. 

Edited by BPM

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Has our new director actually been to a game yet?

Probably a bad idea. He'd immediately quit.

Took another look at the numbers on our home form

Since the start of 2019/20 we've managed 87 points at home in the league from 79 games - 

1.1 ppg for 5 years - no wonder folk are finding something better to do than head to Palmerston.

2019/20 - 14 pts from 14 games

2020/21 - 15 pts from 13 games

2021/22 - 17 pts from 18 games

2022/23 - 29pts from 18 games

2023/24 - 12pts from 16 games

An anomaly in the second half of last season saw 6 wins from last 9 at home and three in a row - the fabled run of form that got Bartley his 2 year contract. 

This year the worst of the lot and a 4th relegation battle in 5 years, despite playing a league lower 😦

I’ve been thinking about our Bartley predicament.

Today/tomorrow the board should tell him he is being put on “gardening leave” his ego won’t be able to cope with that and we can agree a reasonable settlement. I’m sure if there were donation buckets around the ground this weekend along the board and interested busnisess, we could come up with the money to get rid of the chancer.

Todd, Reilly and Efe could take on the last 4 games, that would at least bring a buzz back to the club and they can’t possibly do any worse than Bartley.

As a club we can’t go into the playoffs with him at the helm.

3 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Since the start of 2019/20 we've managed 87 points at home in the league from 79 games - 

1.1 ppg for 5 years - no wonder folk are finding something better to do than head to Palmerston.

An anomaly in the second half of last season saw 6 wins from last 9 at home and three in a row - the fabled run of form that got Bartley his 2 year contract. 

This year the worst of the lot and a 4th relegation battle in 5 years, despite playing a league lower 😦

Absolutely disgraceful stats at any level of football.

3 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Really awful stats. The bold bit isn’t correct, though. Bartley was appointed on a 2 and a half year deal, there has been no extension since his initial appointment. 

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Really awful stats. The bold bit isn’t correct, though. Bartley was appointed on a 2 and a half year deal, there has been no extension since his initial appointment. 

Ah I had it in my head he was initially until the end of the season then got a 2 year contract at some point before the summer. 

I know it's difficult to get right and overperforming on a one year contract means folk complain if they get poached for nothing but 2.5 years straight off the bat for a first ever manager job is bold. As we suspect he must have interviewed very well. Talk the talk but certainly can't walk the walk. 

First time posting on here, as a long time Queens supporter and reader of this message board the current state of the club has finally prompted me into action!

This is easily the worst Queens team I've had the misfortune to watch in many years going to Palmerston. Yes we've had poor teams in the past (often very poor) but generally there has always been at least a glimmer of hope,  a bit of fight or passion in the team that as a supporter you felt might get us back into games, even if more often than not it didn't actually end up getting us a result. However, that's been totally absent this season and I now find myself going to games with absolutely no hope or expectation that this team will do anything other than collapse to another abject, pathetic, toothless defeat.

Gibson, Brydon, Todd, Reilly, Connelly, Cochrane, McKay, Walker - these are all players that can and should be capable of doing a job at this level. Gibson and Walker are arguably our 2 most creative attacking players out wide and should cause problems for any team in this division, yet Bartley consistently leaves them on the bench or plays them far too deep to make any difference. As a local boy, Gibson is exactly the kind of talent we should be nurturing, if, as reported, he does leave in the summer then I will lay the blame solely at Bartley's door. The reality of Scottish League 1 football is that it ain't always pretty, strength, pace, aggression and direct attacking football are what gets results at this level. Trying to play it out from the back and continual sideways passing like Man City or Real Madrid won't work at this level, the players just don't have the skill to be able to pull it off. Teams that try to play that way at this level will very quickly get found out, as we've seen all too often this season.

Like many, I was genuinely excited when Bartley came in and was desperate for him to be a success, but he's clearly way out of his depth and his naive tactics, stubbornness and arrogant management style have sucked the life out of the players, the supporters and the club. He makes absolutely no attempt to create a connection or build a rapport with the fans, witness how he always immediately disappears straight down the tunnel at the final whistle with absolutely no acknowledgement of the supporters that continue to turn up week-in week-out despite the abject performances being served up and the lack of anything approaching even mild entertainment. I can't work out if this is due to sheer embarrassment at the quality of the performances or just down right pig-headedness. I can only assume the latter as his post match interviews are masterclass in gaslighting and a complete insult to those of us who pay good money to attend the games. If he wants to continue a career in football management after this disaster then he's got a hell of a lot to learn with regards to managing things off the field as well as tactics on the field. I get that as a young manager he perhaps wants to position himself as a no-nonsense, hard taskmaster, but his complete lack of humility or self-reflection completely let him down. Any self respecting Board would have sacked him after the home defeat to Kelty in November, the fact he is still here nearly 6 months on is a damning indictment of those running the club and an utter dereliction of duty.

Bartley and the Board are extremely lucky that Queens supporters are so passive. Supporters of any other full-time club in our current position would likely be subjecting the manager and the Board to a barrage of banners and chants during matches ('Bartley Out', 'Sack the Board'), fan protests outside the ground and potentially even boycotts (although perhaps you could argue that is happening silently anyway through falling attendances). With the exception of a few seconds of booing at full time and a few moans and groans on social media, Queens supporters are an apathetic bunch. Perhaps we should share some of the blame for not being more active or forceful in making our voices heard and trying to force change (and I include myself in this)?

Like many, I just want this season to be over now to put me out of my misery. Hopefully we're still in League 1 at that point, if we are it will only be because results elsewhere will have helped us, I'm under no illusions - this team under this manager couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. From there, a complete re-build is a MUST this summer, a new Board, a new Manager and a complete overhaul of the playing squad. I'll certainly be holding off buying a season ticket until at the very least Bartley has gone.

But despite everything, I still hold out hope that somehow and at some point better is to come - it's all we've got, right?

Edited by Palmerstunned

16 minutes ago, Palmerstunned said:

First time posting on here, as a long time Queens supporter and reader of this message board the current state of the club has finally prompted me into action!

This is easily the worst Queens team I've had the misfortune to watch in many years going to Palmerston. Yes we've had poor teams in the past (often very poor) but generally there has always been at least a glimmer of hope,  a bit of fight or passion in the team that as a supporter you felt might get us back into games, even if more often than not it didn't actually end up getting us a result. However, that's been totally absent this season and I now find myself going to games with absolutely no hope or expectation that this team will do anything other than collapse to another abject, pathetic, toothless defeat.

Gibson, Brydon, Todd, Reilly, Connelly, Cochrane, McKay, Walker - these are all players that can and should be capable of doing a job at this level. Gibson and Walker are arguably our 2 most creative attacking players out wide and should cause problems for any team in this division, yet Bartley consistently leaves them on the bench or plays them far too deep to make any difference. As a local boy, Gibson is exactly the kind of talent we should be nurturing, if, as reported, he does leave in the summer then I will lay the blame solely at Bartley's door. The reality of Scottish League 1 football is that it ain't always pretty, strength, pace, aggression and direct attacking football are what gets results at this level. Trying to play it out from the back and continual sideways passing like Man City or Real Madrid won't work at this level, the players just don't have the skill to be able to pull it off. Teams that try to play that way at this level will very quickly get found out, as we've seen all too often this season.

Like many, I was genuinely excited when Bartley came in and was desperate for him to be a success, but he's clearly way out of his depth and his naive tactics, stubbornness and arrogant management style have sucked the life out of the players, the supporters and the club. He makes absolutely no attempt to create a connection or build a rapport with the fans, witness how he always immediately disappears straight down the tunnel at the final whistle with absolutely no acknowledgement of the supporters that continue to turn up week-in week-out despite the abject performances being served up and the lack of anything approaching even mild entertainment. I can't work out if this is due to sheer embarrassment at the quality of the performances or just down right pig-headedness. I can only assume the latter as his post match interviews are masterclass in gaslighting and a complete insult to those of us who pay good money to attend the games. If he wants to continue a career in football management after this disaster then he's got a hell of a lot to learn with regards to managing things off the field as well as tactics on the field. I get that as a young manager he perhaps wants to position himself as a no-nonsense, hard taskmaster, but his complete lack of humility or self-reflection completely let him down. Any self respecting Board would have sacked him after the home defeat to Kelty in November, the fact he is still here nearly 6 months on is a damning indictment of those running the club and an utter dereliction of duty.

Bartley and the Board are extremely lucky that Queens supporters are so passive. Supporters of any other full-time club in our current position would likely be subjecting the manager and the Board to a barrage of banners and chants during matches ('Bartley Out', 'Sack the Board'), fan protests outside the ground and potentially even boycotts (although perhaps you could argue that is happening silently anyway through falling attendances). With the exception of a few seconds of booing at full time and a few moans and groans on social media, Queens supporters are an apathetic bunch. Perhaps we should share some of the blame for not being more active or forceful in making our voices heard and trying to force change (and I include myself in this)?

Like many, I just want this season to be over now to put me out of my misery. Hopefully we're still in League 1 at that point, if we are it will only be because results elsewhere will have helped us, I'm under no illusions - this team under this manager couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. From there, a complete re-build is a MUST this summer, a new Board, a new Manager and a complete overhaul of the playing squad. I'll certainly be holding off buying a season ticket until at the very least Bartley has gone.

But despite everything, I still hold out hope that somehow and at some point better is to come - it's all we've got, right?

Welcome onboard, some post for your first. Don't think there's anything in there that any of us would disagree with.

Like you there will be a lot of people who won't be renewing season tickets next season while Bartley's still here. That will really hurt the club, which is why he needs to be sent packing ASAP so we can all regroup to move forward.

25 minutes ago, Palmerstunned said:

1 minute ago, bod said:

Welcome onboard, some post for your first. Don't think there's anything in there that any of us would disagree with.

Like you there will be a lot of people who won't be renewing season tickets next season while Bartley's still here. That will really hurt the club, which is why he needs to be sent packing ASAP so we can all regroup to move forward.

I don't agree with Walker being one of our best attacking players. He's absolute dugshite. Bartley never playing him has probably done Walker a favour as folk start to forget how bad he is. 

Hard to argue with anything else really and we've been saying the same on here for months. Welcome aboard @Palmerstunned

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't agree with Walker being one of our best attacking players. He's absolute dugshite. Bartley never playing him has probably done Walker a favour as folk start to forget how bad he is. 

Hard to argue with anything else really and we've been saying the same on here for months. Welcome aboard @Palmerstunned

Fair enough re Walker, I just think he has plenty of energy, gives us some pace down the left and isn't frightened to have a go at opposing defenders. There's been a number of times when he's made good runs down the left and made it into the box, but agree that the final ball/end product is lacking.

Perhaps in a team that seems intent on passing it sideways and backwards he seems like one of the few players that injects a bit of energy when he comes on.