The Queen of the South thread

Very sad to say but the match on Sat is probably the most significant and important in many years. Lose it and I think we finish 9th. Win it and it is a massive step towards safety. A draw is a mini disaster as well.

With the hapless Bartley at the helm, a squad packed full of mediocrity and an in built losing mentality there is no way that we can be confident. Of course we should be seeing off a detached Edinburgh side with nothing to play for but we couldn’t beat them in the last away fixture. In the home match before that we struggled badly and only a brilliant Gibson strike turned the tide in our favour.

Our embarrassing home record tells you all you need to know about the Manager and his squad but we have to hope that for once they deliver when the “chips are really down”. 

18 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Very sad to say but the match on Sat is probably the most significant and important in many years. Lose it and I think we finish 9th. Win it and it is a massive step towards safety. A draw is a mini disaster as well.

With the hapless Bartley at the helm, a squad packed full of mediocrity and an in built losing mentality there is no way that we can be confident. Of course we should be seeing off a detached Edinburgh side with nothing to play for but we couldn’t beat them in the last away fixture. In the home match before that we struggled badly and only a brilliant Gibson strike turned the tide in our favour.

Our embarrassing home record tells you all you need to know about the Manager and his squad but we have to hope that for once they deliver when the “chips are really down”. 

Yes it’s a crucial match. The importance of the match will mean McKay will do even more pointing than usual but little or no actual defending of course. 

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Only signed until May 2024 according to Official Site but may of course have been offered an extension. Be happy if he stayed with us. 

Yeah I thought that as well, but got told he’ll be with us next season. I presume we offered him an extension as goodwill after that injury ruled him out for the season. 

27 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes it’s a crucial match. The importance of the match will mean McKay will do even more pointing than usual but little or no actual defending of course. 

Yes he’s very good at cajoling others but the basics of defending our box sadly are beyond him. Ambrose is a far better defender than McKay but Manager seems to be singling him out for previous mis-demeanours. Let’s be honest if we were apportioning blame for the predicament we find ourselves in Ambrose would hardly be near the top of the queue compared to some others.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Yes, it's a spectacularly unappetising fixture, but it really matters.

If we win (and despite everything, I still think we will) then it goes a long way towards keeping us up.

If we drop points at all though, I think it means we're favourites for 9th spot.

I can still hardly believe that this is where we are.  What a pathetic season.

23 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Yes he’s very good at cajoling others but the basics of defending our box sadly are beyond him. Ambrose is a far better defender than McKay but Manager seems to be singling him out for previous mis-demeanours. Let’s be honest if we were apportioning blame for the predicament we find ourselves in Ambrose would hardly be near the top of the queue compared to some others.

Been informed Ambrose isn't exactly the pro he should be at this stage. I think he's a bombscare tbh but he's definitely streets ahead of McKay. But if he's setting a bad example at training and off field then I can understand why he's not playing tbh. 

5 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Only signed until May 2024 according to Official Site but may of course have been offered an extension. Be happy if he stayed with us. 

He'd get my vote for POTY despite only having played in half a dozen league games!  🤣

When he picked up his injury we were comfortably top 4 and had just knocked Partick out of the Challenge Cup.  Then Ferguson stepped into the Mimnaugh role and has barely missed a match.  That's worked out well, didn't it?

On 07/04/2024 at 16:19, 19QOS19 said:

Our Board of Director is best pals with Murphy. I wouldn't be shocked if he rocked up here. I expect he'll have his faults but from the outside looking in he's done incredible things at Annan and sets his side up not to shitebag draws/defeats. I'd happily take a punt on him. 

Your board of director ( is that the case ) is he saying much ? I believe best pals with the Irishman. I think our manager next season will be better, not only for the first ( sorry only ) team but for the club in general. 

15 hours ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

Why oh why oh why oh why is Marvin Bartley comparing our players and having the expectation that they can play like Kevin De Bruyne!?! Isn’t that a little too high and unrealistic an expectation to have?

but they do play like De Bruyne..

Spoiler

charlotte.jpg.0cbe5cd522985509a08ae0db08a1215d.jpg

speaking here to a Queen of the South defender.. 

On 11/04/2024 at 19:19, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it's a spectacularly unappetising fixture, but it really matters.

If we win (and despite everything, I still think we will) then it goes a long way towards keeping us up.

If we drop points at all though, I think it means we're favourites for 9th spot.

I can still hardly believe that this is where we are.  What a pathetic season.

Looked like we could have played all day and not score then Gibson comes on 2 perfect crosses 2 goals surely done enough to start next week .

Still a long way from safety crucial game next week at Stirling .

Have we got the fight and desire to match Stirling next week I really don't think so 

Win and we are safe but I can see all teams on the same points 

Edinburgh will not get a result against either Annan.or Stirling 

We really struggle to score goals 

Annan will always score goals with Gibson supplying Goss we have half that option but don't start with him.

Communications are really poor - where were Connelly, Mclellend and McGuffie today - suspended, injured, fallen out with manager or signed pre-contacts. I hard all 4 today

Saying that thought playing with a straight front today worked better and McKay was my MOM as kept the tall Edinburgh forward in his pocket all day and scored a set piece goal to ae the last 8 mins more enjoyable

1 minute ago, queenslad said:

Communications are really poor - where were Connelly, Mclellend and McGuffie today - suspended, injured, fallen out with manager or signed pre-contacts. I hard all 4 today

Saying that thought playing with a straight front today worked better and McKay was my MOM as kept the tall Edinburgh forward in his pocket all day and scored a set piece goal to ae the last 8 mins more enjoyable

McClelland was probably at the hairdresser's getting ready to collect his PotY award. Though I'd have him ahead of Kilsby every day of the week. 

Aye my concern now is that the majority of this lot haven't exactly 'put their bodies on the line' throughout the season. Why are they going to dig in now when they'll be thinking about their next club. 

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

McClelland was probably at the hairdresser's getting ready to collect his PotY award. Though I'd have him ahead of Kilsby every day of the week. 

Aye my concern now is that the majority of this lot haven't exactly 'put their bodies on the line' throughout the season. Why are they going to dig in now when they'll be thinking about their next club. 

Because they are in the shop window. At the moment their cv looks pretty shite if we go down

2 minutes ago, lyle be back said:

Because they are in the shop window. At the moment their cv looks pretty shite if we go down

Yep, us hopers gotta hope ... 👍

48 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Who have you heard has signed a pre-contract?

7 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Who have you heard has signed a pre-contract?

Please let it be Bartley, please let it be Bartley, please let it be Bartley...

McGuffie out for the season .

McLellend had a  back spasm hopefully he will be back next week .Wonder what Connelly done to upset King Bartley to be left out.

A discipline issue wonder if he answered back on Bartley game plan main thing is Connelly has sorted it available for next week .

What manager would take the rest of leaving out one of your best players for such a crucial game fair enough if it was a serious issue but it can't be with Connelly back in training on Monday .

6 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

What manager would take the rest of leaving out one of your best players for such a crucial game fair enough if it was a serious issue but it can't be with Connelly back in training on Monday .

I’m absolutely no fan of Bartley but you’re just guessing as to what any issue was.