The Queen of the South thread

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Aye as I've said, he put good foundations in but he wasn't exactly a great manager. I'd argue hiring McCall is less ambitious than Murphy*. 

*That's not to say those two are the only options/are even going to be considered. 

Think Kevin Thompson is in with a shout?

14 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

Don't you think he may have had a performance related clause somewhere. Have to finish at least in the promotion play-offs by end of season?

Someone on FB saying this and we only had to pay him 3 months.

34 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Also, do you think we have avoided to pay him off as it’s “mutual”? Or did we just do that to keep a bit of his reputation in tact?

Does it not usually imply a financial settlement is reached, one that provides something of a pay off, but also prevents the indignity of an official sacking, even though that's clearly what it is?

11 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

McCall's record in his previous spell here:

Queen of the South November 2005 28 April 2007 70 19 24 27 27.14

That 27.14 win percentage is worse than Gibson (36.59), AJ's second stint (28.85), Naysmith (35.04), Bartley (37.04) and isn't much better than that of Gus (23.81).

It would probably have been worse had it not been for Stephen Dobbie and Allan Jenkins.

Yes but came in later in the season and to work with what he had. Look at him keeping us up and his record at Thistle and Ayr. View his career achievements….

Really surprised at QOTS this season. Thought yous looked like a right good team last year. I expected you to be into the playoffs at least and even challenging for the title this year! 

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye as I've said, he put good foundations in but he wasn't exactly a great manager. I'd argue hiring McCall is less ambitious than Murphy*. 

*That's not to say those two are the only options/are even going to be considered. 

Agree not only options but you surely are having a laugh saying Murphy is more ambitious than McCall. I think McCalls track record shows considerably more evidence of promotional success than Murphy’s or am I wrong? 

3 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Agree not only options but you surely are having a laugh saying Murphy is more ambitious than McCall. I think McCalls track record shows considerably more evidence of promotional success than Murphy’s or am I wrong? 

A manager who's moving on a downward trajectory or a manager who's overachieved at his current club?

12 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Someone on FB saying this and we only had to pay him 3 months.

It would make sense to have this in place, but, this board isn't blessed with that. Anyways, onwards and upwards. They'll have to sort out the board positions before a manager I would've thought?

Just now, HighlandQueen said:

Murphy has not the experience we need massive step up from managing Annan .

McCall is the man for me he has just done a great job keeping Clyde up has the experience we need plus it was him who signed Stephen Dobbie who speaks very highly of him. 

Just now, Spring Onion said:

It would make sense to have this in place, but, this board isn't blessed with that. Anyways, onwards and upwards. They'll have to sort out the board positions before a manager I would've thought?

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we go into the new season with the only change being Blount will step away.

6 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Yes but came in later in the season and to work with what he had. Look at him keeping us up and his record at Thistle and Ayr. View his career achievements….

You could argue that AJ's two championships, a challenge cup and manager of the year award make him a good candidate, but I wouldn't want him back.  I'm not saying McCall would be a bad choice, but I think we would be better looking elsewhere as, like some have said above, he prefers to work with a big (though never quite big enough) squad, is a bit of an abrasive character and there's no guarantee he would stick around if things weren't going well.

On 02/05/2024 at 22:59, Otis Blue said:

I'd imagine that we're waiting until all 8 planets are on the same side of the sun ...

Feck me, it came to pass ... all 8 planets are indeed on the same side of the sun tonight ... 😎

Obviously not surprising news with the season you guys have had a bit of a shame as I always thought Marvin Bartley would be a good manager however it's simply not worked out luckily for Bartley he isn't leaving his first job in management with a relegation on his CV but he definitely needs a couple of years back in coaching before he even thinks about a return to management. Peter Murphy seems the obvious candidate to replace him an important summer ahead for QOTS.

Anyways, what players would you like to keep for next season? I’d only have Gibson, Reilly and McLelland out this seasons lot.

Thank God for that - even his leaving statement just screams of self-preservation.

it wasnt successful because of injuries - ie not my fault we were rubbish

"a young group will have improved and learned a lot and be better for it" - ie if the club is better next year actually I should get credit for this 

The delusions are off the scale. Good riddance.