The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

McCall. I know you aren’t too keen, but if we are hiring him it makes me think the Board (or single director at this moment in time) are going to give it a good go on trying for promotion. 

Murphy doesn’t really excite me, makes me think we are content with being a bang average League One club and I think Grainger is too much of a risk at the moment.

I just think there's a lot of revisionism with McCall. We were pretty shit under him. He obviously got the ball rolling with the 08 squad but I remember not being blown away with him. I certainly can't remember being gutted when he left. He eventually did ok at Ayr and Partick but I think he's a manager in decline and really don't see it as an exciting hire. He needs a good cash injection to do well and has been pointed out, he'll just try and bring more players in if it isn't working. Not ideal for our current situation. I'm not disappointed it isn't him. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I just think there's a lot of revisionism with McCall. We were pretty shit under him. He obviously got the ball rolling with the 08 squad but I remember not being blown away with him. I certainly can't remember being gutted when he left. He eventually did ok at Ayr and Partick but I think he's a manager in decline and really don't see it as an exciting hire. He needs a good cash injection to do well and has been pointed out, he'll just try and bring more players in if it isn't working. Not ideal for our current situation. I'm not disappointed it isn't him. 

I don't think what McCall did previously at Queens is all that relevant in this conversation as the landscape at Palmerston is considerably different to then.  It was also a very long time ago.  He joined the same year Lewis Gibson was born!

I think what makes him appealing is his experience.  Queens have been burned by their last two rookie appointments, and Falkirk have shown that a wise old head is the way to go in this division after working their way through their own equivalents of Gibson and Bartley the past few seasons.  McCall's stock is also high again after his achievements at Clyde.

I would imagine you are right that he would require a sizeable budget meaning he probably isn't a realistic target.  I think he probably is the best available candidate and in an ideal world the club would provide him with the budget he wanted to get out of the hellhole that is League 1 so they can try and rebuild the club to recent "glories".  There isn't going to be a "Falkirk-sized club" in the league next season so it is very much open to the most ambitious club but I don't see that being Queens considering the off-field state of affairs.

Given his ties to the new board of director, and the previous board's preference to go for managers that fall on their lap Murphy seems the likely choice.  I don't think he is a particularly exciting appointment but he has probably done just about enough at Annan to suggest he might be capable enough to put together a solid squad that can "punch above their weight".  Unfortunately for Queens based on their current status that might only equate to a mid-table finish in League 1.  Until the off-field situations are resolved I think Queens are looking at a medium-to-long term project to get back to the Championship.  I don't know if Murphy will be the man for that, but he may be a good enough option to steady the ship until the direction of the club is clearer.

40 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Wonder if he'll bring anyone from Annan with him then.

Assistant McMenamin possibly, of their players I would only take Luissant (sp?) back. Will we be the team with clogging,  time- wasting reputation next season?

3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Assistant McMenamin possibly, of their players I would only take Luissant (sp?) back. Will we be the team with clogging,  time- wasting reputation next season?

I’ve liked the look of Luissant anytime I’ve seen him so would be happy with that. I hope we aren’t bringing Goss and Smith back though..

Just now, lowland star said:

Murphy and all back room staff  confirmed tomorrow 

predict he will bring two players from Annan 

Who?

Luissint, midfielder, originally ex Queens although not sure if he got a start with us when here first time. Think he's well rated.

Key for me is that the early appointment of the manager allows us plenty time to plan the squad recruitment and not be left picking up what's left.

9 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Murphy and all back room staff  confirmed tomorrow 

predict he will bring two players from Annan 

Given his focus of Goss I really wouldn't be surprised to see him return. Though I thought he had an apprenticeship now (or had qualified)? Be mental to chuck it to go FT with us. Can't say I'd be too keen either. 

Luissant has looked ok at times but seems to go missing for long spells as well. I'd actually be happy to get Gibson back :lol:

Am I right in saying that he’s had typically a small squad while at Annan?

Obviously I know they won’t have the best of finances but hoping he runs with a much smaller group here at Queens than we’ve seen previous seasons.

2 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Am I right in saying that he’s had typically a small squad while at Annan?

Obviously I know they won’t have the best of finances but hoping he runs with a much smaller group here at Queens than we’ve seen previous seasons.

I don't know how big the squad was but I can remember he was on the bench along with McMenamin earlier in the season as they were so short on numbers. The squad definitely needs trimmed and I'm afraid we can't be putting young lads into the first team squad just because. If they're not good enough to feature they shouldn't be there IMO. 

5 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Welcome to the best team in the south west Peter 💙

IMG_5621.jpeg

5 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Good luck Peter, hope it's a win win for both parties. 👍

Just now, ALOREBURNE said:

The lure of managing the best team in D & G was too much. 

IMG_5622.jpeg

Copy cat 😉

Another 2 year deal...