The Queen of the South thread

Just now, TxRover said:

True enough, but IM’s said about several youth/young players that he wants them around the team full time at first to teach them properly how to be players. That’s likely less of an issue with Lewis, but is he near Hamilton now?

Are you a hybrid squad now?

All players currently signed are full time afaik but we will be using Palmerston more than we have for training. As I say I'm not 100% sure how it's being done.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

What sort of fee did queen's get for him? Anything decent.

From the OS ... Queen of the South will be entitled to a compensation fee in respect of Lewis and this matter will be resolved with Raith Rovers in due course.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

What sort of fee did queen's get for him? Anything decent.

Probably just the nominal development fee.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Only ourselves to blame. Wish him well/know he'll do well. Really hope Dickenson can fill his shoes and it's not as big a blow as it feels just now. 

Why are we to blame ?

He has a chance to play at a higher level at a club who pay top end Championship wages .

What else could we do no way we could get near what Raith pay.

We might have got more of a fee if under contract but not much more for a 18 year old.

Best of luck to Lewis

38 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm sure Bartley's masterclass in man-management didn't help, but I'm sure that ultimately it was the lure of higher level football and the bigger wage that decided the issue.  FWIW I'm sure that Queens probably did everything they could to entice him to stay - but it was literally out of our league.

A real talent and sorry to lose him. I really wish him all the best. Let’s face it with a 3 year contract in a higher league and probably with better money he was never going to stay with us. I suspect his father would have told him that and probably relieved his Annan team don’t have to face him. At least we must get development compensation. I hope we use it to strengthen in wing and forward areas as I just don’t think McKecnie and Doherty are up to it. Disappointing but probably did all we could to keep him. Onwards and upwards.

Seen Gibson a few times over the last couple of years. Why Bartley never played him more regular was baffling. Then again reading your forum everything Bartley done was baffling.  No surprise to see him move on after last season and up a division as well.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

So, the smart move is ... loan him back to Queens for the next season to ensure that he gets maximum game time to ensure his development through to the Rovers 1st team when you go up.  It'll be a tragedy to see a young talent like that warming a bench for most of the season.

Or loan him to Annan and his auld man ensures maximum game time? 

Good luck to Gibson.  

I don't think we really got to see the best of him.  

I'd see this as about the right size of upward step for him, but it would be a shame if he wasn't likely to play much.  There's been enough of that already in his career.

Regarding Gibson, it’s obviously a great move for him so fair play. We wouldn’t have been able to compete with his wages or by offering him a three year deal so don’t blame him for jumping at it.

Only thing I’d say is it’s a disgrace we were in a position where we could let him go for nothing due to the incompetence of not playing him more regularly and having him tied up to a longer deal.

25 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Regarding Gibson, it’s obviously a great move for him so fair play. We wouldn’t have been able to compete with his wages or by offering him a three year deal so don’t blame him for jumping at it.

Only thing I’d say is it’s a disgrace we were in a position where we could let him go for nothing due to the incompetence of not playing him more regularly and having him tied up to a longer deal.

Queens will surely get a development fee, not sure how much it will be mind, but if he'd still been under contract,  would the Club have got a much bigger transfer fee for an 18 yo from a League 1 Club? 

55 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

... Only thing I’d say is it’s a disgrace we were in a position where we could let him go for nothing due to the incompetence of not playing him more regularly and having him tied up to a longer deal.

... but we don't know that the club wasn't offering him extensions to his contract.  The club says that they did their utmost to hold on to him.  Could be that he was being advised by others to hold off to see what offers came in.

My only real gripe here is if he were to end up warming the bench for a prolonged period.  I hate the idea of the bigger clubs hoovering up young talent for the future with them playing in reserves/B sides when they could have been gaining good first team experience at a lower level and boosting the quality of the lower leagues in the process.  When they're ready, then they can move up then.

49 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Queens will surely get a development fee, not sure how much it will be mind, but if he'd still been under contract,  would the Club have got a much bigger transfer fee for an 18 yo from a League 1 Club? 

Hamilton have been selling young players down south for six figure fees for years, so yes I think with the potential he’s shown it was definitely achievable if we kept him.

20 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

... but we don't know that the club wasn't offering him extensions to his contract.  The club says that they did their utmost to hold on to him.  Could be that he was being advised by others to hold off to see what offers came in.

My only real gripe here is if he were to end up warming the bench for a prolonged period.  I hate the idea of the bigger clubs hoovering up young talent for the future with them playing in reserves/B sides when they could have been gaining good first team experience at a lower level and boosting the quality of the lower leagues in the process.  When they're ready, then they can move up then.

I’m just saying with the promise he’s shown he should never have been on a one year contract in the first place and should have had him tied down before these teams started circling for him.

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Hamilton have been selling young players down south for six figure fees for years, so yes I think with the potential he’s shown it was definitely achievable if we kept him.

I’m just saying with the promise he’s shown he should never have been on a one year contract in the first place and should have had him tied down before these teams started circling for him.

I don't really think using Hamilton as a comparison is fair, they were plying their trade at a higher level than the 3rd tier of Scottish football when they were selling players down South. How many have they sold  for substantial fees since they dropped out of the Premiership/ top end of League 1?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Absolutely fair post. The club stated that they have been trying to sign him up to a longer contract for a while so let’s give them some credit. Probably been given good advice by his agent to hold off for a bigger offer. Just guessing but after his sacking not sure Queens are flavour of the month with his Dad so maybe that played a part. Sadly losing young talent is part and parcel of today’s game. Nobody is going to give a third league team 100k for an 18 year old. Hopefully we can unearth some attacking gems, RB and a loan keeper then let’s see what this season brings. Would like to keep Connolly but no news is probably bad news. Despite that we look stronger at least physically and an open league so who knows. Can’t believe it’s a week tomorrow til first friendly so I take it they must be training by now 🤷🏻‍♂️